IGNORED

Another Center Stand Question

The question about how to get the bike on the center stand got me to thinking about another question. I can get my bike on the center stand with no problems at all basically using the same technique described in that thread. What I have a hard time with is getting the bike off of the center stand. Anybody got any ideas on this? Also remember I'm barely 5'6" so sitting on the seat and pushing the bike off of the center stand is out of the question.

The question about how to get the bike on the center stand got me to thinking about another question. I can get my bike on the center stand with no problems at all basically using the same technique described in that thread. What I have a hard time with is getting the bike off of the center stand. Anybody got any ideas on this? Also remember I'm barely 5'6" so sitting on the seat and pushing the bike off of the center stand is out of the question.

Put the bike in first gear with the clutch in, rock back onto the rear wheel and let the clutch out just as the rear wheel touches the ground. This will pop the bike off the stand. Kinda a finess thing. I have to rock my '83 a few times to get it to go, and I'm not small and the air is at max, so I understand where you're coming from.

Hey!!! It wasn't easy before I started losing weight and I've been looking for leg-stretchers for years, ain't found none yet.:buttkick:

There was a girl somewhere whose dream was to be an airline stewardess. But she couldn't be one because she was to short. So she had a Doctor break or cut the bones in her legs and put some kind of cage around each leg with some sort of turnbuckles. Every day she would turn the screws a bit farther to stretch out her legs until she was tall enough to get hired. True story.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/girl-who-had-legs-stretched-suffers-her-third-fracture-689837.html

Another girl had her legs lengthened 5 inches! WOW! Or should I say OW!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/dec/15/gender.uk

Hey!!! It wasn't easy before I started losing weight and I've been looking for leg-stretchers for years, ain't found none yet.:buttkick:

I still takes me a couple good pushes and I use the front brake to help (helps hold it at the tipping point when I push again). I am at 5' 11 1/2" (and shrinking) and 245lbs (not shrinking) ta boot.

I never put the bike ON or OFF the center stand while on the bike.

NOTE: FIRST THING TO CHECK...make sure the side stand is folded up. It can be left down sometimes after you put it on the center stand, and if you leave it down, it can throw the bike right when it comes off the center stand onto the suspension!

To get it off the center stand, stand beside it (left side) and grip both grips facing forward, with a couple fingers around the hand brake.

Step back a bit so you have some leverage, and push the bike firmly, this may take a couple tries to get it to the point where the center stand just gets over the top and the bike comes down.

Apply your hand brake as the bike just comes off the center stand. I feel this is better than putting the bike in gear, because you control how far it rolls, not the gearbox, and if the gearbox accidentally pops our of gear, or isn't in gear fully, if you don't have your fingers on the brake, you can lose it. So rely on your brakes.

I also grab a handful of brake when getting on or off the bike, just in case.

I have done this for 14 years and disagree with what most of you say for it being easiest for me. First of all, I always make sure the side stand is DOWN and I have never had it hit and push the bike away from me. Next, I simply grab the left handle grip and side passenger rail and rock the bike backwards a little and then push it forward. As I do this, I tilt it a little toward me and pull it to the side stand when it settles. It is that simple and Mick, I should have practiced that with you when I was over there the other day.

One other note, if I am on a downward slope, I do try to make sure the bike is in gear, otherwise, neutral is fine.

RandyA

I aint any taller than you, I always just sat on the seat and rocked it a few times till it fell forward off the stand. Worked for me and I never dropped that 1st gen. Craig

There was a girl somewhere whose dream was to be an airline stewardess. But she couldn't be one because she was to short. So she had a Doctor break or cut the bones in her legs and put some kind of cage around each leg with some sort of turnbuckles. Every day she would turn the screws a bit farther to stretch out her legs until she was tall enough to get hired. True story.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/girl-who-had-legs-stretched-suffers-her-third-fracture-689837.html

Another girl had her legs lengthened 5 inches! WOW! Or should I say OW!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/dec/15/gender.uk

Dude...ouch!!! I think it would be easier to just have my neighbor come over and help me get it down. Holy crap!!!

Guest rande

was in the garage for 2 months on the stand while I worked on it, first time to take it off the stand, and I had some things piled up a foot away on the left side. I pushed it off the stand and did not have room to lean it towards me. A long slow drop to the ground while I tried to keep it up.......the bike! Now I make sure when it comes off the stand it is leaning towards me......

... I was taught to do it the way Ccedoo described, and it's always worked. OF course I have never put the center stand down on anything but solid pavement; dirt or gravel, no; and when the latter, with a circle 'plater' where the kick stand goes. I carry one in my right front side pocket all the time. Mud and the side kick stand are N O T a good combination.

Enjoyed the post folks!

Jack Z

Another idea is to get a used center stand and cut just enough off, and weld the feet back on so that you can have a center stand that keeps the bike up, but also keeps the rear wheel on the ground. The Goldwings have something like this for an add-on, and they can place the bike on the center stand by putting the stand down and placing the bike in reverse...and just as easy to get it off the stand... just drive off.

Well, I just get on it and rock forward a couple of times and it comes off. At least that way I have a leg on each side for a fighting chance if something was to happen. Then side stand goes down. As far as mounting, since your inseam almost touches the ground, you may wish to stand on the foot rest and swing your leg over. Kind of like putting your foot in a stirrup to ride a horse. I had a problem mounting a Gold Wing once and that is what the seller told me to do. It worked for him and it worked for me.

Hummmm, very interesting...

It got me to thinking, what if one replaced the center stand, with a "good" sissor jack?

The sissor jacks made today are a lot more substantial than those chincy things of yesteryear.

I may be tinkering with this idea this afternoon.

What are the dimensions of a factory centerstand? (mainly the thickness)

My 09 RSMV doesn't have a centerstand at all and its impossible to hold the bike up and check the oil by yourself.

As far as mounting, since your inseam almost touches the ground, you may wish to stand on the foot rest and swing your leg over. Kind of like putting your foot in a stirrup to ride a horse. I had a problem mounting a Gold Wing once and that is what the seller told me to do. It worked for him and it worked for me.

This is what I do most of the time. But, I do now be a little more careful about not stepping on the end of the foot peg as doing this can cause the welded nut where the bolts go to be damaged. Ask me how I know.

RandyA

About leaving the side stand down when coming off the center stand. I have had my bike hit the side stand when taking it off the center stand when I accidentally leave it down, that is why I never leave it down.

Also have had it get on top of my foot...THAT HURTS. SO I learned the hard way to put the side stand up when coming off the center, and also when moving the bike around.

to get out of my garage there is about a 3" drop where the floor transitions to the drive. If the side stand is down, it can hit as the bike drops, and I have had the bike almost go over on me to the right.

Maybe leaving the side stand down works for some, maybe I am just more of a clutz, but leaving the side stand down may not work for all. So make your own choice, but I mention the problems you can have when leaving it down because they are real possibilities.

I am amazed by the range of what works best for others and that part of what makes this forum so interesting and educational to me. For over 45 years now, I have found that what works best for me is to straddle the bike, put down the side stand, and use the handle bars to rock the bike off the centre stand while holding the front brake lever to prevent the bike from rolling foreword. Every time I try to do take the bike off the centre stand from the side, I feel like I can't control the bike and keep it upright nearly as well.

Easy to see that you can't get the bike off the stand ....

Sell me the bike for 50 bucks and problem solved !!

:group cheers:

Steve

Let me think about that one Steve....NO!!!

:rotfl:

Edited by elmicko
spelling error