IGNORED

Need a bit of help

OK, bike was running a little rough. Decided to put new plugs in. Got the new plugs and put them in. Now bike is running alot smoother, but smokes very bad. It is white smoke, and gets worse when you hit the throttle. Idles fine, and holds a steady 1000 rpm at idle. Accelerates smooth and even. Just smokes very bad. Tried adjusting the carbs, did carb sync, and rechecked plugs. Not sure what the problem is. Ran seafoam, checked oil, all is well. After warming up, temp is in the normal range. No water in oil, no suit coming from exhaust. Just thick white smoke. Any help would be great. The weather is getting to nice to have a bike not in working order. Will be watching for a response.

Edited by Jason
Accidental Post

OK, bike was running a little rough. Decided to put new plugs in. Got the new plugs and put them in. Now bike is running alot smoother, but smokes very bad. It is white smoke, and gets worse when you hit the throttle. Idles fine, and holds a steady 1000 rpm at idle. Accelerates smooth and even. Just smokes very bad. Tried adjusting the carbs, did carb sync, and rechecked plugs. Not sure what the problem is. Ran seafoam, checked oil, all is well. After warming up, temp is in the normal range. No water in oil, no suit coming from exhaust. Just thick white smoke. Any help would be great. The weather is getting to nice to have a bike not in working order. Will be watching for a response.

Is is really smoke or is it water vapor? :confused24:

What does it do after a WOT trip through the gears out on the Interstate???

No gas smell, and no coolant smell..... Just smells like exhaust really. Have not washed lately, and coolant levels are holding. No signs of a leak or any loss of coolant. No water vapor. Exhaust is dry. Longer it idles, the worse it smokes. I uploaded pictures of the smoking on here.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=612&pictureid=3769

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=612&pictureid=3768

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=612&pictureid=3767

Check those links and let me know what ya think. The first is after it warmed up. It was at about 1800 rpm and smoking pretty bad. The second pic was during startup while temp was still cool. And the last was at 1000 rpm idle. Due to the shadows and the wind it appears that it is all coming from the right exhaust pipe, but it is not. It is coming from both sides.

Seafoam will cause white smoke, sometimes great clouds of it, as the crud it loosens gets burned. If this is the problem there is nothing to worry about and no need to drain the tank. If you can just go for a ride and it should clear up.

Im not one of the mechanics on this group, but everytime I sefaom my bike with a heavy dose it smokes like that. As a matter of fact the first time I did it my wife and I had went out on a ride,me on my 91 vr and her on her shodow, she was behind me and had me pull over. I was making a white cloud out the rear of my bike and the exhaust fumes were very strong.

With that being said I would still still defer to betterm inds. drain the fuel and the fuel bowls. Get it all out, and put in fresh fuel. If she stops smoking then you can probably make a safe assumption that it was the seafaom. And if that is the case you can always put that fuel backin and let the seafaom do its job.

David

Since I used the seafoam, I have used 3 full tanks of gas. Should not be the seafoam at this point. I am left scratching my head. No fluid of any kind coming from the exhaust. Rechecked the plugs and wires. No fouling or discoloring. Synced and re-synced the carbs. Checked vacuum lines. Oil level is fine. Coolant level is fine. Neither are going down. Drained tank and replaced with fresh gas. Not using cheap gas. Have always used 91-93 octane. Trying to avoid pulling the heads. Seems like I am running out of options. Unless somebody else has an idea.

Since I used the seafoam, I have used 3 full tanks of gas. Should not be the seafoam at this point.
So 1 tank with Seafoam and 2 tanks of plain gas? The white smoke can't be caused by the Seafoam. I've never had the smoke last for more than 15 minutes although I suppose it could last for a bit longer than that. Check out this link for possible causes although it pretty much echos what has been said here.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_can_cause_white_smoke_from_the_exhaust

Really like that tip on applying compressed air to in the spark plug hole while removing cap on radiator. I've got an air blower with a rubber attachment on it that would create a great seal.

Would be extreemely careful on amount of pressurre used (maybe 30 lbs?) my compressor goes to 150 psi and don't believe the radiator would appreciate that.

Might want to do a compression test on it before you start tearing things apart. Borrow or buy a compression tester and write down results.

Thats a good idea, another thing I'd like to ask is does the smoke linger? If for some reason it's burning oil the smoke would linger around where a water type vapor will disperse fairly quickly. BTW where in Texas are you?

Good idea Jack, hey Jason, put the bike on the center stand, check the oil in the sight glass on the lower right hand side just below the water pump housing. It should only be 1/2 way up the glass. If it's overfilled, I would think it could do what Condor said.

But definately I would run a compression check just for comparison.

Good luck