IGNORED

Sales Taxes on New Bikes

utadventure

If you live in a state that has sales tax, you will get hit for it no matter where you buy your bike. Being in the military I have bought vehicles in different states, but everytime I go to register them in my home state, the tax man has his hand out.

Guest KitCarson
I number of members have talked about purchasing a new bike but you can't ignore the effect Sales Tax has on that purchase.

In Salt Lake, 6.85% is added to the final price. So, which state has the best sales tax rate on a bike (new or used)?

I buy bikes out of state some.......thing is a few states work together with an agreement between them, pay it in the state you purchased it in, keep the receipt and present it at the revenue office in your home state, everything is cool, Thing is most home states, the state you live in, require you to pay sales tax at their current rate, for example if you live in my State of South Carolina and go to Virginia and buy a bike, you have to pay the sales tax in your home state........yep they have sneaked that one in on you ! As for property taxes.........most likely if you register it in your home state, you will have to pay those too, locally they are tough, we have more crooks to support than most states.

Kit

In Wisconsin, when you register your bike, and it doesn't matter what state you bought it in, you pay your registration fee plus .055% tax.

And it also doesn't matter how many times that bike is bought and sold, same tax % every time. Thats the part that I don't like.

My favorite vehicle tax story is about a guy that bought a boat (which I later bought) from a preacher.

It ws a 28' boat set up for fishing on Lake Michigan. Well, they agreed on a price and also agreed on the price that would be used for tax purposes.

When the state tax people contacted the preacher, he could not tell a lie, :)

and the guy ended up paying the full amount due. :)

Steve

in texas, it don't matter what you claim to have paid for a particular vehicle, anymore.

taxes are charged according to what the "insurance replacement cost/real value", of said vehicle!

used to be you could say you bought it for "ten dollars and other considerations".

that all went out the window, this year!

just jt