IGNORED

Clutch slipping

mdj6j

I have a 2000 royal star venture and the clutch is slipping in 4th and 5th gear. When you get on the gas real hard. Changed clutch fluid. And it's still slipping. I have about 65,000 on the bike. Don't ride that hard. And no passenger (she rides her own) Where should I start with the spring plate or clutch disc. thanks Michael

Just did mine a couple weeks ago with V7Goose's help. It was easy as folks say it is. Call PCW racing and order the clutch spring upgrade kit which consists of a gasket, spring and 1 friction plate to replace the weenie plate installed by Yamaha. It is the last plate and is a 1/2 plate hence the name weenie. They will try and sell you the rest of the plates as well but pass on that, just order the kit. Mine works like a champ now.

LOTS of discussion here about this - just do a search on "clutch upgrade". As stated above, the PCW upgrade spring is the way to go, but replacement friction plates are almost never needed. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

And welcome to the board - hope you hang around. You'll find out way more about htat bike here than anywhere else.

Just did mine a couple weeks ago with V7Goose's help. It was easy as folks say it is. Call PCW racing and order the clutch spring upgrade kit which consists of a gasket, spring and 1 friction plate to replace the weenie plate installed by Yamaha. It is the last plate and is a 1/2 plate hence the name weenie. They will try and sell you the rest of the plates as well but pass on that, just order the kit. Mine works like a champ now.

I ordered my spring upgrade kit from PCW (Only because SkyDoc_17 had not started selling them yet) and wanted to also order the friction disks, they told me to wait till I have it apart and to check the plates because they almost never wear out. there is no cost difference other than the extra postage to get the plates later if mine are worn. For my 1st gen, (not sure if the 2nd gen is the same) the friction disk dimensions are 3mm (.118 inch) thick when new and the replace dimension from the manual is 2.8mm (.110 inch) thick. with 45K on my clutch the plates measured 2.95mm (.116 inch) thick, so I reused them.

Edited by Flyinfool

• 4 years later...