IGNORED

AMBER highway lights

I installed Amber Passing / Highway lamps on my Midnight, info on the box to show you what to order if you're also so interested in doing the same..

Lights were available at local NAPA dealer, you can see the part number on the box.

I have a super bright headlight installed which is brighter than the highway lights, so I added the Amber lights to be more noticeable on the highway..

Some were asking about them, you can see it on my bike and decide if it's decent looking or 'uhgly' lol

http://www.eastcoastphotos.com/venture/amberlights01.jpg

http://www.eastcoastphotos.com/venture/amberlights02.jpg

... Lights were available at local NAPA dealer, you can see the part number on the box....

Looks good. One of the guys with whom I frequently ride has similar lights on his HD and they do stand out in the rearview mirrors. Do you remember the price of the lights?

Looks good. One of the guys with whom I frequently ride has similar lights on his HD and they do stand out in the rearview mirrors. Do you remember the price of the lights?

here in Canada they were $35 a pair.. In the USA they should be a lot cheaper, just a quick switch over of lenses. Not hard at all.. ;)

Here is a description to install the fog lights from the HD site.

http://www.moccsplace.com/images/harley/plamp/index.htm

Did you have to do this Pete?:confused24:

List price at NAPA in the USA is $15.69 each

Earl

Hi Earl, the NAPA lights that I got had everything ready to roll so you didn't have to do anything to them as listed in the instructions page you posted.

Slick as ... as.. well easy to do ;)

I've seen an HD with Amber passing lamps as I was travelling on the opposite side of the highway. The amber color definitely stands out. In the past I have comtemplated about amber lamps and thought that there is nothing out there. These lamps are a good find. :happy34:

Hmmm.....I've thought about using those too, since they would be different and different draws attention. My only questions is whether they tend to make the front turn signals less noticeable since they are the same color and so close together. Would you be willing to have someone watch for that and let me know whether they think the signals kind of "get lost" in the amber driving lights?

Thanks.

Those are great looking lamps! I am very interested. So looks like these lamps are 35W each. What is the wattage on the Yamaha passing lamps? Do you know?

Is it just a plug and play kind of deal.

Its very much a Plug'n'Play installation.. too easy.

Seaking,

Can you post a photo of the bike at night with the lights on?????

gees, I'll see if I can get the bike out through the snow bank lol.

I do have some quick pics of the lights but they don't do the bike any justice.. I have to take the bike out to turn the engine so I'll see if I can some pics of it later on..

I've seen an HD with Amber passing lamps as I was travelling on the opposite side of the highway. The amber color definitely stands out. In the past I have comtemplated about amber lamps and thought that there is nothing out there. These lamps are a good find. :happy34:

I had them on my VStar a while back but had long since removed the light bar (cheap POS brand light bar).. They do make you stand out to approaching traffic which to me is very important.

As mentioned before, I have an aftermarket headlight bulb that outshines the oem highway lamps so amber was a good choice for being seen..

Hmmm.....I've thought about using those too, since they would be different and different draws attention. My only questions is whether they tend to make the front turn signals less noticeable since they are the same color and so close together. Would you be willing to have someone watch for that and let me know whether they think the signals kind of "get lost" in the amber driving lights?

Thanks.

the Amber lamps are a lot more "yellow" than your "orange" turn signals.. your signal lights won't get lost in the blaze of lights. Keep in mind you do have to make sure you have any highway lamp aimed correctly so you don't blind on coming traffic as well..

I had them on my VStar a while back but had long since removed the light bar (cheap POS brand light bar).. They do make you stand out to approaching traffic which to me is very important.

As mentioned before, I have an aftermarket headlight bulb that outshines the oem highway lamps so amber was a good choice for being seen..

Which headlight bulb are you using?

Hey Pete,

I like those Amber running light ...A LOT! I run the Amber fog lights on my 87'VR and they really help me at night.

Good Job, my friend,:thumbsup2:

Earl

The top white lights look like LED's. Ever seen similar but amber, anyone? I have amber fog lights but they are 55w so only run them at night or on the highway due to charging paranoia.

the Amber lamps are a lot more "yellow" than your "orange" turn signals.. your signal lights won't get lost in the blaze of lights. Keep in mind you do have to make sure you have any highway lamp aimed correctly so you don't blind on coming traffic as well..
I've noticed a few bikes with headlight and passing lamp rigs that pretty much wash out the front turn signals at night. That would be a concern to me. Often thought the 2nd gen lower leg fairing, or whatever it is called, would be a good place to mount a set of daylight running lights. Might even be able to mount them flush. Course, I don't have a 2nd gen so it's just a thought.

Hey Clive,

In the pic I posted, The upper set of lights are in fact Super white LED's. the bottom set of running lights are amber fog lights. This combo REALLY lights up the side of the road at night for me. I have the right set of lights angled slightly to the right, I wasn't able to do that to the left side lights (oncoming traffic) so, I aimed the left side lights about 25 feet in front of my VR and I have the right slightly to the right and about 15 to 20 feet in front of the bike. The LED's help me to be seen and the amber fog lights help ME to see. Ask Squidly, he'll tell ya' they work!:thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey Clive,

In the pic I posted, The upper set of lights are in fact Super white LED's. the bottom set of running lights are amber fog lights.

What I was wondering was if you, or anyone else, had found super bright amber LED's. I like the idea of having D/R lights that can be kept on all the time and amber is my preference. Perhaps since I have not found any, no one makes any but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks for the response Earl, looks like you have a good setup. :clap2:

I am using the Intense White bulbs from Piaa and they are OUTSTANDING in this bike!!!!!

There website is HERE

Love PIAA bulbs as well as LEDs. I recently converted all my cager lights to LEDs and my Venture is getting there slowly but surely. The 4100K lumen is good. Also...it is good to know at this point that my bike takes an H4 bulb. This one is going to my wish list. Thanks.:97:

One question from those of you who have run with the yellow fog lamps in place of the driving/spot lights. How well do they light up the road at night compared to the normal spot lights?

Larry

Good question, Larry. I am also curious about that.

If I ever replace my passing lamps with Amber, I will have to upgrade to the Intense White Bulb (PIAA) headlamp. I think Amber lights will go well during the summer months, where there is more daylight hours. It may be a good idea to switch back to all clear lights during the winter months (I intend to keep my clear lamps for a seasonal swap).

One question from those of you who have run with the yellow fog lamps in place of the driving/spot lights. How well do they light up the road at night compared to the normal spot lights?

Larry

They will give you a different level of lighting than if you had white lights.. not as brilliant. It will light up the side of the road for you but you won't see it an intense with white.. hard to explain.

My headlight is bright enough that I don't need the highway lights to illuminate the road at all.. but I use them as to broaden my "light blob" as I approach traffic. A single headlight is a small blob of light coming head on, but a headlight and highway lamps is a wider blob which looks bigger (puff up, puff up, humans hate when you puff up).. make it amber like what I've done and I feel like you not only made you blob bigger but also more distinct..