I know what the manual says about this. Stand bike upright (level), check that oil is halfway covering sight glass. I know thats not word for word. My question is how do you make this a one person operation? Right now I have to have one person level the bike while the other gets down to the level of the sight glass. Any other way?

I place a block of either 2, 2x4's or a 4x4 under the sidestand. I then yank up a bit on the right handlebar and hold that as I ease off the bike on the right side. With upward pressure on the right handlebar, I then place my left hand on the edge of the seat and apply pressure towards the left side of the bike as I bend down and check the sight glass... then reverse the process as I get back on the bike and then push out the wood block. I've done this so many times it's a breeze...but, if you're somewhere and don't have a block of wood that size.... ???? (maybe carry one with ya?)

I prefer the mirror on a stick. The bricks/boards under the kickstand method scares me something awful.

I guess a lot of it depends on the individual, their self-confidence, physical ability/strength, etc, etc .... consider this... stand off your bike and roll it along the ground ... if you can do this with confidence, you should have the same level of confidence putting a couple 2x4's under the sidestand and getting off the bike on the right while still holding it steady. Unless the bike has been lowered or the shocks are sagging or something of that nature, the bike should be able to sit by itself with the 2x4's under the sidestand as the balance point is just a bit left of centre (at least on mine it is) and this can be assured and accomplished by pulling up on the right handlebar.

as the saying goes... "try it ... you might like it" :eek:

Having said the above, I do realize that folks with shorter legs and wider bod's than mine might not be able to accomplish such feats of bravery LOL

And I do like the "mirror" method idea... just haven't gotten a "round toit"

I guess a lot of it depends on the individual, their self-confidence, physical ability/strength, etc, etc .... consider this... ... "try it ... you might like it" :eek:

SilvrT, I have done it before with my V* 1300, which is a lighter bike at 680 wet.

However, the one time that when I got up and accidentally used my hand for leverage and *almost* pushed the bike over on its right side (I caught it as I sprang upright) convinced me that: A) the block-under-kickstand has some compromises B) I am clumsy at times.

So now I just make the Purty Wife sit on the motorcycle and hold it upright.

Easy, and fun to see her wrestle those bikes.

~Bill

SilvrT, I have done it before with my V* 1300, which is a lighter bike at 680 wet.

However, the one time that when I got up and accidentally used my hand for leverage and *almost* pushed the bike over on its right side (I caught it as I sprang upright) convinced me that: A) the block-under-kickstand has some compromises B) I am clumsy at times.

So now I just make the Purty Wife sit on the motorcycle and hold it upright.

Easy, and fun to see her wrestle those bikes.

~Bill

yeah... I do that too when we're out on the road and "clumsy" wasn't forgotten.... it was part of the "etc" :sign20:

I do agree that the blocks may not be the best method and the mirror is a great idea but when I'm at home and the bike is in the garage, I use the wooden block method. Maybe "when" I get a mirror, I will discontinue using the blocks.

Harbor Freight has mirrors on a stick (the extension kind, like a car antenna) for about $2.

That said, I used to do the wood-under-kickstand method, but it always made me a bit nervous. So, now I attach the Carbon One adapter to the bike, and raise the jack just enough to level and support the bike without lifting it. I'll be using the same method to level the bike to sync the carbs.

The last time I had a oil change I went home and made a "dip stick". I parked the bike where I always park it, took a large plactic zip-tie, made a "t" and then checked the oil. I marked where the "full" level was and a few months later I made a mark when it was a pint low. The worst thing is I keep for getting to ckeck the oil, I also for to check the tires air pressure too...............

Cb

When i do work on my bike alone (whitch is all the time). I have cloth straps and hold the bike up with a come-a-long from the rafter of my garage. If you could see the pic better on my profile you can see the come along.Dont notice i did not clean the garage.But i do this so it is a little safer when i am doing things.

I know it seems like a stupid question but why wouldn't Yamaha just make it so the correct level in the sight glass is viewed when the bike is leaned over on the kickstand! I see the gear oil in the pumkin on the rear is filled and checked when level also, WTH, whose in charge here. :soapbox:

I know it seems like a stupid question but why wouldn't Yamaha just make it so the correct level in the sight glass is viewed when the bike is leaned over on the kickstand! I see the gear oil in the pumkin on the rear is filled and checked when level also, WTH, whose in charge here. :soapbox:

The engine design was made back in the day when bikes had centre stands. Not likely they'd re-design the engine just for that....?

The engine design was made back in the day when bikes had centre stands. Not likely they'd re-design the engine just for that....?

Why not get the oil at the right level when its upright, and then let it over onto the side stand, then mark it some way, (with a small mark from a felt marker or whatever.

Brian

Why not get the oil at the right level when its upright, and then let it over onto the side stand, then mark it some way, (with a small mark from a felt marker or whatever.

Brian

Probably because you can't mark something anywhere which you don't see ?