IGNORED

Is it worth the mony?

KB2RWW

I have found a 1996 Royal Star with 14,157 miles for $2500 that needs work.

the chrome has some pitting ,nothing bad. Will need front tire, they lost the key so they broke the ignition switch, and it needs a new battery.

I have not seen or heard it run and don't want to take a 5hr ride for nothing sow my question is is it worth it?

http://i.ebayimg.com/24/!BmHR-v!BGk~$(KGrHqEH-D0EtrQGqcPOBLebCn77RQ~~_12.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/14/!BmHR6LQBGk~$(KGrHqIH-DYEtqb5TnD)BLebCd(L8!~~_12.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/16/!BmHRutwBGk~$(KGrHqUH-DcEtvJ5qQ20BLebB+0f6g~~_12.JPG

It is interesting that to me that seems like a fairly new bike, until I realize it is actually a year older than my 83 was when I bought it. It probably has not been treated real well, but unless you would have to pay someone else to do work for you, it may have good potential. The mileage is about 1,000 per year and that is not necessarily a good thing to me. Look at the wear areas like foot pegs and stuff and see if it may actually have 114,000 miles on it. I don't know if that model only goes to 100k and starts over again on the odometer.

Also, has it been painted flat black?

RandyA

I noticed the paint too, looks like they wanted to make an old school rat bike out of it with the flat black. This means someone has had it apart to paint it. There are a few NY members out there that I'm sure wouldn't mind taking a peek at it for you. $2K would be about all I would pay for it, but it could turn out to be a decent 2nd bike

:confused24:

Would make a nice project. With the flat black paint and the ignition broke, I would match the title up with the vin on the frame for sure. Those are two major signs of a stolen bike. Hopefully it's all on the up and up. Good luck!!

No key could make the gas cap a little hard to get off, might ask about that before you go listen to it run. How they gonna' get gas in it?

It does have a few options on it, I noticed passing lamps, passenger backrest, saddlebags, aftermarket grips & mirrors, carb covers, breather cover, fender tips, seats, crash bars, horn relocation, brake pedal cover, shifter covers, aftermarket water pump cover and the engine fins have either been painted or a newer set has been put on the bike. Can't see the pipes to tell whether or not they are stock.

I have not seen or heard it run and don't want to take a 5hr ride for nothing sow my question is is it worth it?

NOPE!!!!! Another thing is those pics are from a year ago.. Lots of things can happen in a year.. And it ain't an RSV.

Edited by Condor

Hey booby you said its 5 hours away but you didn't say where/s it upstate near us or south of you? Being a 96 it is newer than your 84 but they detuned the snot out of that motor the first year they brought it back so its not going to run like your 1st Gen.

The paint and missing key makes me uneasy. Hot?!? Then like it was said what about the gas cap? i'm sure you could redo the ignition but if its hot then you're screwed. Find out when it was last registered. have them send you a scanned copy of the registration or at least the number so you can do a history check on it. If they won't walk away. There will be another one come along. If its near us up here let us know Tom or i will be glad to check it if its close to either of us. Phil

I have contacted other members about the bike but since it's not really an rsv I may pass on it.

the key missing may be do to it was lost with no spare, not having a wind screen may have put the nail in the coffin for me getting the bike. Yes you can get aftermarket for it but I'm still leery about it. I will contact the guy about the gas cap problem and if he can send more recent pictures, i did not notice the date on them before and thank you for pointing them out.

:7_6_3[1]:

Well after receiving a response from the guy i have decided NOT TO GET THE BIKE.

I will Pass it on to you all and let you have at him.

I found it on EBay #140383792666 with a buy it now $2500.

It will not kill me not to get the bike, as others told me there are better bikes down the road. I have not had good luck with EBay-Auto, the last truck i got took 52 day's to get the title do to the seller did not have it in his name when he sold it to me. flea-Bay is ok for parts not the hole nine yards. I will continue searching for the right bike for me.