IGNORED

got a question for venture techs

My 83 does not have the notch in the side cover that exposes the petcock.

I just looked at parts fiche for 83 - 84 - 85

P/N changed in 84 for the petcock.

Mine does not have reserve setting, almost sure.

I also don't have the rubber straps that hold side cover on. It has a clip where rubber band is on later models.

Gary

Dingy is correct about the 83'VR early production run only having the "ON", "OFF" switch. Late 83'VR's on up had the "ON","OFF", "RESERVE" switch. I for one have my switch set on "RESERVE" and never move it. I have replaced about 12 of those switches for other owners. I have seen one switch that was only 11/2 years old break off. This is an "Ugly" job, an usually, when the new switch is installed, it goes on "RESERVE" (or "ON" in Dingy's case) and stays there. But if you want the "Thrill" :crying:of replacing that petcock, have at it.

Earl

My 83 had a petcock I believe. I was on the right side under the side cover. My 85 looks like the photos above. The valve didn't move very well so I left it alone. :no-no-no: To tell you the truth it had already broke off before I got the bike. Ran the bike till it ran out of gas and know how far I could go.

Ran it from Ottawa to well past Montreal with a heavy load. :Venture:

OK I know its more info then you need but this snow is getting to me. I really neeeeed to ride soon. :bang head: :bawling:

• 3 months later...

So, I just bought my first Venture (1984), and as I was cleaning it up and detailing it, I broke the knob off of the petcock. I know that it's on "ON", but I would still like a new one. Is this an easy fix, or am I to understadn that it's difficult just to replace that knob? Also, where should I look to find one?

....By the way, it has alll three "ON", "OFF", and "RESERVE" settings. Thanks for any help you can provide.