First of all - if the mounts for the backrest are not the same for the RSV and RSTD, Utopia does sell one for both, so you ought to be able to get one with no problem.

Disclamer: My comments are from my experience on my RSV and what I remember from folks discussing their experience on the RSV. Hopefully it is applicable for you.

I know we have some big guys around here, I am not one of them (a whole whopping 5'8" but a 32" inseam) some have complained about their knees hitting the bars, but a quick bend in the backrest support fixes that (I'll let them fill in with more info as they see fit).

I too, worried about being 'pushed forward' too far. I picked up a Utopia backrest from a fellow member on here (thanks again Ron :happy34: ). I have been very happy with it so far. I ended up bending the bracket a little bit to get it to be positioned (with the adjustments that I wanted) but it was no big deal. The only two things I will miss are 1) not being able to sit on the passenger seat while riding solo (on longer trips) and 2) Certain female passenger(s) not sitting extra close to me while riding (it is easy on-easy off though so this one can be quickly remedied).

What I will not miss: 1) the back pain that I would experience due to my terrible posture and lack of lumbar support when riding (even short rides)

I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed and if you are, I am sure someone on here would be willing to take it off of your hands.

Hopefully someone of a comparable height will chime in with some more useful information for you though.

:080402gudl_prv:

*** Utopia link: http://utpr.com/yamahalinks.html

Edited by LilBeaver
Added utopia link

and how long did you say your arms are??? :rotf:

You read that correctly. It isn't a full out lounge on the passenger seat, but enough to stretch my legs, arms and back out a wee bit.

(On my wing I can drive comfortably from the passenger seat... but the controls are right below the driver too, so that helps).

http://bigsmilingmonkey.com/wp-content/themes/inove/img/big-smiling-monkey.gif

*Ahem* back on topic... :rasberry:

looking to by driverbackrest for my 07 rstd. figure i would throw the question out, who has the best driver backrest? I'm 6'2" i am afraid of a backrest that will pushme to for forward. do they make a fully adjustable rest for my bike? thanks.

I've got the utopia on my 06 RSTD and have been pleased with it. It's not hard to mount and it is adjustable (back n forth). I'm 6'1 and with it all the way back, I'm to far from the handlebars. It's also not rigid (it will fold down over the operator's seat). The one neat feature is, it has a zipper bag attached to the back to put glasses, ipods, etc.

looking to by driverbackrest for my 07 rstd. figure i would throw the question out, who has the best driver backrest? I'm 6'2" i am afraid of a backrest that will pushme to for forward. do they make a fully adjustable rest for my bike? thanks.

I got mine from diamond R, its now sitting on the cabinet in the garage, , tired of sitting on the gas tank, 6' 4":mo money:

I got mine from diamond R, its now sitting on the cabinet in the garage, , tired of sitting on the gas tank, 6' 4":mo money:

What you say is true. Although, you can take it apart and "adjust " the bend in it to let you sit further back. I did this to mine and it works great! However, I must say also that I'm only 5'10" with a shorter reach than you guys.

Count me as a Utopia fan. I rode another RSTD with the full Mustang setup and really liked it, but it priced out at $600.00 plus I looked for something else. My bike is an 08 RSTD with the stock seat. Last time I checked I was 5'11". The Utopia was VERY easy to install and as others have said, it is fully adjustable: up/down and forward/backward. The fold-down feature makes it nice for getting on and off. At $175.00 plus shipping, it is hard to beat.

Nico

I have a 08 tour deluxe, still have the stock seat. I have a Bakup on mine. I really like it, Spendy though. But most i have ridden is about 450 miles in a day. Then I am ready to get off. Mostly cause of the seat, but the backrest extends the time I can sit there. If it werent for that, i'd be getting off sooner. I am 6'1'' and 255 pounds. 32" inseam, and I am comfortable. By the way, it mounts really easy as well.

Did you get the message I sent you on the like new Utopia Backrest that I have for sale. It has the optional pouch. It is off of my 2005 RSTD and should fit your bike. I changed out my seat with a custom one from Diamond Seats and had to use the backrest made for the new seat. If you or anyone else reading this needs a seat contact me at sgroves1@roadrunner.com , Price is $100.00 + $10.00 Shipping to lower 48 states.

I have a 08 tour deluxe, still have the stock seat. I have a Bakup on mine. I really like it, Spendy though. But most i have ridden is about 450 miles in a day. Then I am ready to get off. Mostly cause of the seat, but the backrest extends the time I can sit there. If it werent for that, i'd be getting off sooner. I am 6'1'' and 255 pounds. 32" inseam, and I am comfortable. By the way, it mounts really easy as well.

I just bought one used. No instructions. Is it as simple as it looks? Just remove the two bolts under the driver seat and slip between the main frame bracket and the spacers fromthe fender and bolt back in? I haven't tried it yet but wondered if there was enough slop to allow for the thickness of the bracket? Did it come with any hardware or just uses the existing hardware?

Thanks,

Derrek

I just bought one used. No instructions. Is it as simple as it looks? Just remove the two bolts under the driver seat and slip between the main frame bracket and the spacers fromthe fender and bolt back in? I haven't tried it yet but wondered if there was enough slop to allow for the thickness of the bracket? Did it come with any hardware or just uses the existing hardware?

Thanks,

Derrek

You'll have to drill out the two holes to a 3/16 (I believe) for the bolts to thread into to. You may have to go to Utopia's website, I think they have an installation link on the exact drill bit size. Other than that, two bolts and your done.

Jfoster,

Thanks for the response. I have the Bakup backrest and it is as easy as it looks. It bolts on with the two bolts that connect between the frame (under the seat) and the fender. Just have to pry with a screw driver a bit to open it up wide enought to slip in between the frame and the round threaded boss. No drilling required for me.

Looks like there might be a little rubber bumper missing that goes between the metal bracket and the fender, but its not touching at the moment. May be someone who has a new Bakup can comment. Has about 1/2 inch of clearance or so right now. Haven't been for a ride yet, but have had a sit on in it in the garage and feels good. I'm 6'1 and seems to be fine. Its fully adjustable, height and in and out.

ddog