IGNORED

How was Hockey Invented and why and where?

E-Fishin-C

In 1885 in Kingston; there was a group of British soldiers that were bored and decided to play a sort of hockey that we use today. That's how hockey was invented.

Hockey wasn't invented by on specific person or group. hockey is played with a stick. for hockey However, it is generally accepted that Scottish settlers were the first to play it in Nova Scotia in the late 1700s. At this time there was mass emmigration into Canada of people from the Highlands of Scotland who imported many of their traditions, culture and pastimes. Ice Hockey became a Winter version of a game known as Shinty which has been played in the Highlands of Scotland for centuries. There are many similarities, most notably the stick or caman. The word 'puck' is also derived from old Scots, meaning to hit. There is also an unofficial game still played in Canada which is known as Shinny, a name derived from Shinty. There is also a claim that Hockey is a relation of Hurling which started in Ireland as the sport of Hurley. However, the conncetions are tenuous as mass emigration to Canada form Ireland did not occur until the mid to late nineteenth century. The equipment also differs considerably.

Of course, there are other stories.Some say the MicMac indians played a form of hockey in Nova Scotia when the Europeans arrived. In Windsor, Nova Scotia, there is a school called Kings View Academy. A teacher there supposedly took his students out to the pond behind their school and asked them to make up a sport. The game they played became hockey.Another interesting story says that ice hockey was first played in 1885 by British soldiers stationed in Canada. Guards who were guarding the Parliament building in Canada used to sneak off to a nearby field and play ice hockey. Some say they started by whacking rocks with a stick to stay warm.

Two towns claim that the first game of hockey was played there. The first is Kingston, Ontario, and the second is a small town in New Brunswick, both of which are in Canada.

It is generally accepted that the current rules for hockey evolved from students at McGill University in Montreal ("the McGill Rules") in 1875. Around 1920 the NHL was formed by Canada. It grew. Rules evolved. For example in the 1920's you were aloud to pass forward.

And that is exactly what I said. Hockey was NOT invented by Canadians. It was invented by British soldiers who just happened to be in Canada at the time or possibly by the Scots CENTURIES before some of them immigrated to Canada. Thank you for proving my point. :)

And that is exactly what I said. Hockey was NOT invented by Canadians. It was invented by British soldiers who just happened to be in Canada at the time or possibly by the Scots CENTURIES before some of them immigrated to Canada. Thank you for proving my point. :)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I love winter!!!!:think:

LOL...feisty? ME? :)

I'm just trying to keep this thing in the No Spin Zone. For the record, I don't even LIKE hockey. I've been to ONE game and I figured it very quickly. If you swat that puck enough times, it's eventually gonna go into the net. Total chaos.

I just find it funny how some people get so bent about ownership of certain events. I like reading both sides of stuff like this and smile at how each side has their spin....

Kinda like how us Canadians took over everything north of DC in some little skirmish :think: and then the Canadians set an important politicians house on fire and in the restoration process they painted it white and thats why its know as the WHite House today.

I am sure American historians have a wee bit different take on the story. But it does make a good tale when you spin it with a local angle.....:smile5:

I love this stuff, especially during PMS season......:whistling:

Brian

As I am sure Freebird is aware, The Dominion of Canada did not become a reality until July 01, 1867, and therefore it couldn't have been 'Canadians' who discovered the great game of hockey. However, it was the same people in the same environment that originated, crafted, improved and played what is now the fastest most exciting sport enjoyed by many today.

Did someone say hockey was trivial?

Cheers, Jdix

Pangea or paganica was played by Roman troops with curved sticks and a leather covered ball or rocks, basically field hockey, across most of Europe in the 1st century BC. It is generally considered to be the basis also of both kolf and goff, which are generally considered to be the forerunners to golf.

However, it was the same people in the same environment that originated, crafted, improved and played what is now the fastest most exciting sport enjoyed by many today.

Did someone say hockey was trivial?

Cheers, Jdix

Now your saying y'all invented NASCAR

:wow:

:clap2:

:stirthepot:

it was the same people in the same environment that originated, crafted, improved and played what is now the fastest most exciting sport enjoyed by many today.

Cheers, Jdix

they invented NASCAR :confused07:

whoops wrong thread:doh: my bad.

Are you kidding...I've only tried ice skating one time. We didn't have a lot of ice where I grew up in Texas.

Thats funny I don't remember ever having ice when I grew up in Texas?

If we did it meant that the A/C was broken and it would not turn off.

when I moved north, that is when I had to Learn how to walk and drive on it.

Now all I want is to go back, It's to darn cold.

:cold::snow2::snow:

... it'll be great for the ADMINISTRATOR of this site once SPRING comes and all these posts and threds finally go thin. I figure the further N one is the more PMS there is, and a little of that brown stuff the comes from Moose. Our Rocky Mt Moose are trained to do it in specific areas, ... you know, so as not to offend the sight seers! LOL.

JackZ:clap2::crying::fiddle::scorched::innocent-emoticon:

Your all sounding like a bunch of Puck-Heads to me . :soapbox:

Why do you need to be so slap-happy , wearing knife blades of your booties ,waving a stick in the air . I say just get rid of all that garb and start fighting !

Face it , do you watch hockey to see a rubber disc slide on the ice or to see who throws the first punch ? :nanner:

BEER30

Played Hockey for 15 years when I was a kid and enjoyed but I never did like watching it.

Brad

When I was a kid TV was so bad you couldn't see the puck at all. I use to watch with my dad and could never tell what was going on. Wasn't until I was in the Navy and got tickets to an LA Kings game and saw it in person did I really get what was going on. And even understanding it better, up until the last few years when they added the puck tracer, it was still hard to follow on TV.