IGNORED

Has being a motorcycle rider.....

Blue Giant

I've been saying that for years. That was one of my points when my daughter was ready to get her license. My offer was for her to get a MC learners permit and I'd get a smaller bike for her to ride. Log a 1,000 miles riding with me and then get her license and I'd pay for half of her first car.

LOL! Never happened. Saved some bucks. Sly like a fox.

I knew if she learned how to watch traffic and road conditions on a bike it would benefit her in the long run.

But I am a firm believer that the habits that you develope riding a bike carry over into the way you drive a car. Riding does sharpend your awareness, or at least should.

Oh yeah. It's made a big difference in my driving. I am very aware of what's going on around me. I also really watch out for bikes when I'm in my truck and try to run interference when I can. A couple of weeks ago I was driving the four lane between Bristol and Johnson City and noticed a young couple on a crotch rocket going the same way. Not riding fast or stupid, just riding. Then I saw a welfare piece of junk pull in behind them and start riding their tail and wouldn't get off. The bike managed to ease up enough to allow me to slide in behind him and slow way down. Kept the biker safe and pissed off the burdens to society in the car. All in all, it was a win / win deal.:banana:

......... made you a better driver? After changing jobs last year and having my commute time doubled and having to cross the city each day I feel I'm more aware of traffic around me and try my best to be as courteous a driver as I can be.

Paul

One would think so but then how can you accurately determine that unless you could live life over again and not be a motorcycle rider ... (forget it! ain't gonna happen! couldn't imagine life without a scoot!) :eek:

All kidding aside tho, there's no doubt in my mind that riding a motorcycle has made me a far more defensive driver than anyone I know who doesn't ride a scoot.

I started in 1985, and did the state obsticle course and passed the written test. I put in 150,000 miles with 5 downs with minor injuries. On the last one a deer wanted to ride my front tire and we just weren't able to negotiate that one.

So I let her go to the insurance company and stayed off for 6 years. BIGGGG mistake.

Then around other riders in a group, ... I got that eternal itch again on my butt. A friend suggested I take the state training course. I was 66 with two new artificial knees. He told me later he was prayiing I would fail so I couldn't drive. I passed of course.

EVERY time I get in my box I am a better driver, and always on Zfrebird4! So far I've always 'seen it coming' or prepared my exit early enough to avoid and issue or an accident. And I never participate in road rage or defending my rights with my life on Z. No way.

And I'll ride till I can't keep her up, and I am almost 71 (young sprout) and still going!

I ride my second 86 VR, sold to me by Squidly and with Lonna's permission.

Thanks for posting!

JackZ

I think because of years of bike riding that I may be more aware of defencive driving although I am not sure I drive better as a result. My wife tells all our friends that she feels much safer as a passenger riding with me on the bike than in our van and I think she is right.

Between driving a semi for15yrs otr and riding the bikes, made more aware of what to look for. Sometimes you can look at the car, or the driver and tell whether or not they pose a little threat or a get out of dodge threat. My wife doesn't seem to mind me pointing some of them out, now she's learning to look for them.:thumbsup2:

Sometimes you can look at the car, or the driver and tell whether or not they pose a little threat or a get out of dodge threat. :thumbsup2:

It is amazing how you learn the tell tale signs of what another driver is about to do. They're there, you just have look for them. It's saved my bacon several times!

I get to take this out of the text that you originally wrote this for. I am a passenger on a bike but a driver of a cage. Has this made a difference? Hell yes... I have been driving a cage for 25+ years but have been on the back of a bike for only three. I have become soooo aware of what has been transpiring around me ONLY because of what I have seen as a passenger on a bike. I have learned and am diligently practicing defensive driving ONLY because I have watched Scooter Bob drive a motorcycle the way he does. I always took driving as a right, not as a priviledge, and also am guilty of lazy driving skills up until I did not have the four walls around me. Only then did I become aware of how hazardous my driving skills were (but are still not as bad as some)... I wish that EVERY up and coming new driver had to be a passenger on a bike first to become aware of how every split second counts in being a defensive driver. I owe my life to Scooter at least twice (and the other drivers that drive on the same highways I do owe Scooter also) because if it weren't for him refreshing my defensive driving skills, I would still be the lazy "I own the road" driver that I used to be.

I love all you bikers and our safety is always in my prayers.

Karen

One would think so but then how can you accurately determine that unless you could live life over again and not be a motorcycle rider ... (forget it! ain't gonna happen! couldn't imagine life without a scoot!) :eek:

All kidding aside tho, there's no doubt in my mind that riding a motorcycle has made me a far more defensive driver than anyone I know who doesn't ride a scoot.

I fully agree. I have a great deal of experience behind the wheel. From driving a cab, school bus and a Manitoulin transport Super Buggy. But by far my driving has improved as a motorcyclist.

I found this link and its powerful. Don't look at it if you have had an accident and aren't quite over it yet if ever, but really, people need to see what happens when they don't stop at stop signs or don't "look, Look and look again" This should be on TV all the time.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xMfk1msw9A]YouTube- Look twice for motorcycles US version[/ame]