IGNORED

Carbs and V-Max Cams

StarFan

Like some of you might now I was looking into buying some Second Gen carbs that were listed on eBay by Pinwall Cycles. Well I got them for 304 US$ with shipping in USA and am one happy guy. They are already on their way to Earl Harell (skydoc_1).

Then Earl sent me a mail Saturday morning and told me he had found some V-Max cams for my bike and was on his way over to Harrisburg to have a look at them. These cams are from a 1989 Vmax and only have 80 miles on them!!! Thats right, only 80 miles! The guy who had them rebuilt the motor, ran it 80 miles, sold the block and heads and had the cams left over.To cut a long story short Earl got all four of them for 200 US$ and now in general we only have the following things missing before we start the project:

- (2) Intake boots - Yamaha part number 4XY-13586-10-00

- (2) Intake boots - Yamaha part number 4XY-13596-10-00

-(4) Intake boot clamps - Yamaha part number 4XY-13575-00-00

-(4) airbox boots - Yamaha part number 4XY-14453-00-00

-(4) airbox boot clamps - Yamaha part number 90460-58015-00

- (16) Spring valve inner - Yamaha part number 36Y-12113-00-00

-(16) Spring valve outer - Yamaha part number 36Y-12114-00-00

-(4) fabricated adapter plates (Good old Earl-skydoc_1))

and the Dyna ignition module as well as bolts washersh and stuff.

So, if any of you guys and girls have any of the above sitting in your garage and would be willing to part with them then I would surely be interested in buying.

I´ll keep you posted as things move along.

Friendly regards from Iceland / Norway.

Jonas

http://www.yamahaofwarren.com/common/images/blank.gif

Hi Lynn.

Thanks to you I decided to go for it. Your article on the carb swap is superb and thorough and it tickled me from the second I read it. Was hoping to see you at 2009 Freebirds Maintenance Day but am sure that we will meet next time I attend. Surely hope that we will be able to hook up in the future.

I will keep you guys posted as things move forward and I am sure that Earl (skydoc_1) will be in touch with you when he starts putting these things together for me. It is a drag I can not be with him and do the job with him and learn. I do everything myself on my bike except engine work. Just have not gotten myself educated enough in that field to feel comfortable with it but surely intend to do so. For me owning a bike and riding it is only 30% of the fun. The remaining 70% is fixing it and modifying and keeping it in top shape and of cause going to the States and meeting fellow members of the VR.org. Can not ever explain to you how great it was to meet the crowd at Dons and how much it meant to me to feel how welcome I was. A bunch of the best people I have ever met.

I hope you and your loved ones are doing great and I look forward to seeing you in the future. Would very much be interested in your piano restore work since I do collect vintage instruments and even though I do not have a Grand Steinway I do love those beautiful old Grand pianos.

Friendly regards from Iceland (Norway at the moment at work).

Jonas

I can't say that I have anything you're looking for in my leftovers. But I wish you luck, and have fun. When you put these parts in and take a ride, you'll think you bought a whole different bike. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

Hey Jonas,

Your Carbs. arrived today! It's a very nice looking set and I am sure you will be happy. They are in a big box, setting next to another big box that is holding your VMAX camshafts! I wish you could be here, it's like Christmas! I noticed that you did not have a set of Valve Cover Gaskets on your "Wish List". Before you buy new VMAX Valve Springs, I wanted to let you know that I am now searching for them.

Earl

Earl

• 10 years later...
Hey Jonas,

Your Carbs. arrived today! It's a very nice looking set and I am sure you will be happy. They are in a big box, setting next to another big box that is holding your VMAX camshafts! I wish you could be here, it's like Christmas! I noticed that you did not have a set of Valve Cover Gaskets on your "Wish List". Before you buy new VMAX Valve Springs, I wanted to let you know that I am now searching for them.

Earl

Earl

Is it possible to purchase a transition washer for Royal Star intake manifolds to switch from 26 mm to 32 mm carburetors?

Is it possible to purchase a transition washer for Royal Star intake manifolds to switch from 26 mm to 32 mm carburetors?

I'm not sure how much benefit you would realize upgrading carbs while keeping the stock Venture intakes/heads/cams. I have a set of 1st gen Vmax manifolds laying around if you end up needing any measurements, but I think the bottleneck is in the heads/cams for a gen2 if your goal is increased performance.

If we know what year/specific model your bike is and any mods to it we should be able to help you get where you want to be. I feel compelled to ask why you want to go to 32mm carbs, what is the end goal? We have some really sharp minds on this forum, if we know what you have and where you want to go with it I'm pretty sure we can help.

Oh yea, WELCOME to the forum!:beer:

I'm not sure how much benefit you would realize upgrading carbs while keeping the stock Venture intakes/heads/cams. I have a set of 1st gen Vmax manifolds laying around if you end up needing any measurements, but I think the bottleneck is in the heads/cams for a gen2 if your goal is increased performance.

If we know what year/specific model your bike is and any mods to it we should be able to help you get where you want to be. I feel compelled to ask why you want to go to 32mm carbs, what is the end goal? We have some really sharp minds on this forum, if we know what you have and where you want to go with it I'm pretty sure we can help.

Actually, the Royal Star Venture already has 32mm carbs. He is talking about the Royal Star. A few people have updated the carbs to 32mm but out required some work. I believe that Starfan had a manifold made to allow him to out 32mm carbs on a Royal Star. The limiting factor is then there air flow. The Royal Star had a small air filter and it requires a different air intake system to utilize the larger carbs. I think that Barons used to sell a "Big Air Kit" for that purpose.

Since you are installing lots of Vmax hardware, you might want to consider putting in a set of the Vmax boost valves. I did this and operate them with a bicycle shift lever which has 5 "clicks" from closed to fully open. The bike does seem to enjoy running on "1 click" which means that all four valves are just slightly opened. Since I didn't do any engine mods which would help consume the extra gas and air, fully opening the valves doesn't really do very much. The main problem for installation is that these valves raise the carb height by a couple of inches. On my bike, that didn't matter since I don't have anything above them besides the individual air filters.

Just something to consider.

zag

Since I helped Starfan, (Jonas, my dear friend) collect the original set of parts for this build 10 years ago, I thought I would comment on this post. The 1996 to 1999 Royal Star Tour Classic used the smaller 26mm Carbs.

Just changing the Carbs. is not going to buy you much without higher lift cams and larger intake valves. Instead of putting thousands of dollars into the top end of your current scoot, I suggest you install the VMAX final drive (or the ring and pinion gears from a VMAX) in your Second Gen. Housing. This would make the bike quicker off of the line, but you do loose a bit off of top end. I personally feel that the Second Gen. transmissions are way to overdriven and this mod is "Just what the Doctor ordered" to solve this issue.

Now, this next statement I have made before, and this is not made to discourage anyone from modding their Ventures, Heck, I'm the "Poster Child" for extreme mods to the Yamaha Venture. So with that being said, I'll continue.

I have done the VMAX Heads, Cams, FJR Final Drive, Big Carbs; 15" Rear Wheel, R1 Brake Swap, Header, K&N Intake and Nitrous for Pete's Sake, and a Bone Stock Yamaha R1 from about 125MPH on up will leave me in the dust...Period! If I had it to do all over again, would I do anything different, NOT ON YOUR LIFE! BUT if I was looking for a 150+MPH motorcycle to scare my pants off, You could EASILY find a used R1 or even an R6 or a Wing for that matter off the shelf for $3K to $5K that would run circles around our Ventures. As I have gotten older, (much older) I have found that my jaunts over 130MPH have diminished greatly. I also find that I ride my bone stock 89'VR more than the 87'VR, especially when the wife rides with me! (She won't ride on the 87'VR with me any more, says "I Get Stupid" when I ride the 87'!)

Now if I could just figure out how to get the V BOOST Sensor to administer my Heart med. as I accelerate AND have my CARBTUNE give me a real time Cardiogram while I'm rippin' thru the gears, I'd be set! LOL! (The specs are correct, the opinions are mine alone. Hope I made you smile!)

Earl

Since I helped Starfan, (Jonas, my dear friend) collect the original set of parts for this build 10 years ago, I thought I would comment on this post. The 1996 to 1999 Royal Star Tour Classic used the smaller 26mm Carbs.

Just changing the Carbs. is not going to buy you much without higher lift cams and larger intake valves. Instead of putting thousands of dollars into the top end of your current scoot, I suggest you install the VMAX final drive (or the ring and pinion gears from a VMAX) in your Second Gen. Housing. This would make the bike quicker off of the line, but you do loose a bit off of top end. I personally feel that the Second Gen. transmissions are way to overdriven and this mod is "Just what the Doctor ordered" to solve this issue.

Now, this next statement I have made before, and this is not made to discourage anyone from modding their Ventures, Heck, I'm the "Poster Child" for extreme mods to the Yamaha Venture. So with that being said, I'll continue.

I have done the VMAX Heads, Cams, FJR Final Drive, Big Carbs; 15" Rear Wheel, R1 Brake Swap, Header, K&N Intake and Nitrous for Pete's Sake, and a Bone Stock Yamaha R1 from about 125MPH on up will leave me in the dust...Period! If I had it to do all over again, would I do anything different, NOT ON YOUR LIFE! BUT if I was looking for a 150+MPH motorcycle to scare my pants off, You could EASILY find a used R1 or even an R6 or a Wing for that matter off the shelf for $3K to $5K that would run circles around our Ventures. As I have gotten older, (much older) I have found that my jaunts over 130MPH have diminished greatly. I also find that I ride my bone stock 89'VR more than the 87'VR, especially when the wife rides with me! (She won't ride on the 87'VR with me any more, says "I Get Stupid" when I ride the 87'!)

Now if I could just figure out how to get the V BOOST Sensor to administer my Heart med. as I accelerate AND have my CARBTUNE give me a real time Cardiogram while I'm rippin' thru the gears, I'd be set! LOL! (The specs are correct, the opinions are mine alone. Hope I made you smile!)

Earl

Super Bikes of the Liter legend are something I stayed away from at their inception because I had a family to raise,,, wayyyyy to much on the line so to speak.. That said, when the cancer Dr. told me 50/50 in my case and reluctantly agreed = bucket list time, Maggie my R1 was my 1st adventure in finding peace on my buckets list.. 103 mph in 1st gear and that happens so fast you HAVE to use the throttle like a micrometer ,, she's a 6 speed and in 5th - bouncing off the rev limiter = 176 mph, Maggies an early enough model that she is not hampered by the later models and their 186 mph speed limiter and I absolutely positively have no doubt she will bounce the rev limiter in 6th @+200 mph,, no doubt.. There are lots and lots and LOTS of people that I know who have spent HUGE money attempting to cross the +160 mph zone and most are dismayed at how difficult that can be,, even +150 can be pricey.. If that is what this is all about,, I assure you,, Skydoc is spot on in his advice..:thumbsup: IMHO of course..:missingtooth:

The tiny little 1000cc Liter bike,, the little bike that proves over and over and over again that the idea of there being no replacement for displacement is a myth.. Unless, of course,, we are talking short shifting your way down the highway dragging 40 ton around behind you!!

One of the things often overlooked by those seeking to hot rod out or make use of larger 32mm carbs on the 96/99 Royal Stars that are designed for the 26mm carbs is there as numerous design changes in those models that simply make them somewhat limited in what can and can not be done at a reasonable cost with reasonable reliability as an end result.. One of the main design changes that Mom Yam made to those particular models is the dropping of the balance shaft.. The smaller carb usage is part of a design that will not be used in higher crank R's - basically all about torque and not about hp up in the 5252 and above rpm range.. The 32mm carbs (and the V-Max V-Boost) at designed, in the V-4 Yam application, as high rpm - high hp in mind and reguire the ability for the engine design to be spun up into the revs in order to create the velocity thru the 32mm carbs to make them effiecient.. It may be noteworthy to note that the models with the 32mm carbs OEM and straight from Mom Yam also have balance shafts being spun off the crank to balance the engine when she spins up.. IMHO,, Mom Yam didn't just stick those balance shafts on the faster, higher revving,, 32mm carb models cause she just had some extra parts to get rid of,, at least thats my opinion.. Personally,, if I was wanting to build up a 96/99 model and wanted to make it trustworthy for long range touring AND a real buddy in performance,, I would do some research and see if the engine from a model using the balanced motor (I would look for a V-Max engine) could be shoe-horned into the 96/99 and start my project there.. If possible (and anything is), I would then put the feelers out for a short block or even better,, a balanced long block..Make sense?

I have a Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star 1997

Quite by chance, 32 mm carburetors turned up for me at a good price and I caught fire to install them.

Plan:

Stage 1. Carburetors 32 mm instead of stock 26 mm.

2 stage. Dyna 3000.

3. Camshafts from V-max.

Maybe someone knows? Is the ignition ECU from Royal Star Ventura suitable for Royal Star?

Idea got from here - venturerider.org/carbswap

Edited by BokoFF

The Dyna 3000 TCI is a popular choice and a good unit, but if you ever convert to COPs (Coil Over Plug) it may very well cook the Dyna unless you use resistors. The Ignitek TCI can run the COPs straight up with no need for resistors. If your not planning to convert the old OEM coils to COPs then disregard and enjoy!

One of the things often overlooked by those seeking to hot rod out or make use of larger 32mm carbs on the 96/99 Royal Stars that are designed for the 26mm carbs is there as numerous design changes in those models that simply make them somewhat limited in what can and can not be done at a reasonable cost with reasonable reliability as an end result.. One of the main design changes that Mom Yam made to those particular models is the dropping of the balance shaft.. The smaller carb usage is part of a design that will not be used in higher crank R's - basically all about torque and not about hp up in the 5252 and above rpm range.. The 32mm carbs (and the V-Max V-Boost) at designed, in the V-4 Yam application, as high rpm - high hp in mind and reguire the ability for the engine design to be spun up into the revs in order to create the velocity thru the 32mm carbs to make them effiecient.. It may be noteworthy to note that the models with the 32mm carbs OEM and straight from Mom Yam also have balance shafts being spun off the crank to balance the engine when she spins up.. IMHO,, Mom Yam didn't just stick those balance shafts on the faster, higher revving,, 32mm carb models cause she just had some extra parts to get rid of,, at least thats my opinion.. Personally,, if I was wanting to build up a 96/99 model and wanted to make it trustworthy for long range touring AND a real buddy in performance,, I would do some research and see if the engine from a model using the balanced motor (I would look for a V-Max engine) could be shoe-horned into the 96/99 and start my project there.. If possible (and anything is), I would then put the feelers out for a short block or even better,, a balanced long block..Make sense?

I've not tried it personally but I have read that the Gen1 Vmax heads may bolt onto the Gen2 engine, but the location of the Vmax exhaust ports is blocked by the Gen2 frame. This would prevent bolting in a Vmax motor or the use of Vmax heads on a Gen2 bike. Double check me of course but I'm pretty sure this is the case. Brother Puc (or anyone), please correct me if I'm wrong! :duck: