IGNORED

trailer tires

Sideoftheroad

How do you tell the speed rating for trailer tires? Easy enough on car tires, but can't seem to find info. for trailer tires.

Been looking at doing the harbour freight mod. They have a black one now for $280 and in my AAA magazine got a 20% coupon. Has 12 inch tires, but interested to know what the speed rating is.

Also been checking out 13" rims on e-bay. Didn't think cars used tires that small but apparently they do. Would be ideal to me to swap out tires for 13" car tires. That would leave any doubt about the speed rating.

Most of your tires for small trailers are 45mph. With a small load limit. 13 should give you a better load limit and and more stable ride. But that is my oppinion.

Sorry i was thinking of a larger trailer. I had some problems with tires from harbour freight.

Edited by emtdouggood
Sorry i was thinking of a larger trailer

Guest tx2sturgis

You dont need to worry about this. Speed ratings are the engineers and the lawyers way of keeping themselves employed.

IF SOMEHOW,, you could load those tires and bearings to the MAXIMUM load, (which is not going to happen on a trailer behind your bike), and then you took off on a 110 degree day and rode for hours, you MIGHT need to worry about a speed rating.

But anything less brutal and it becomes a non-issue.

Hundreds of members here, including me, run cheap little 8 inch tires and have no problems at all. They are so lightly loaded on these little trailers in motorcycle touring duty, that I run 10 pounds of air, and have no issues at all. I have run the high speed (80 mph) toll roads on a hot summer day and then felt the tires and bearings, and they are fine...warm, of course, but not overheated by any means.

Now, appearance, tread life, and handling...thats a different matter. I prefer a lower center of gravity and easier braking, with the smaller tires, although I DO give up some on tread life, but not much. And the smaller tires are less expensive, and much easier to change in my own driveway. Of course, the larger tires have more options when it comes to rims and wheel covers, so take that into account.

So...go forth and purchase said HF trailer. Repack the bearings with good grease, check tongue weight, get used to pulling it, and have fun.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Another thing to take into consideration when selecting larger tires is what it will do to the height of the trailer tongue in relationship to the height of the hitch ball on your bike. You basically want the trailer level to slightly pitched forward, if the trailer is not, then towing problems will result. It would be a shame to purchase fancy "high speed" rims and tires and not be able to pull the trailer anywhere because it pulls so badly.

Earl

Thanks for the info and the links/pics.

skydoc, I thought it was preferable to have the trailer level whether trailering by bike or car. Never thought about having the back end of the trailer slightly higher than the front end (assuming that is what you meant by pitched forward). Guess that makes sense so that the tongue puts a little pressure down on the hitch ball to help it stay where it should.

beer30, you just wanted to use that word didn't ya? LOL.

tx2sturgis, interesting thought on easier to brake w/ smaller tires. Why is it easier w/ smaller tires (less friction?). I would have thought it would be easier to move w/ larger tires, but we are talking about braking. What do you consider good bearing grease. Honda Moly (if I want to go w/ a more expensive route)? No matter which wheel size I go w/ 8" or 12" not necessarily worried about fancy rims, etc...

Couple more questions. Some people cut their HF trailer to make it not so wide. What is the purpose of doing this? Would seem better to have it as wide as possible for stability of the trailer (and maybe bike/trailer combo too). I have been looking at a lot of trailer companies and none seem to be that wide.

Here is a link I want to share too which is just one of a few I have. Some of the links on this site do not work. http://www.aerobourne.com/motorcycletrailerindex9.htm

Is it a personal preference in regards to having a swivel hitch? I think that is what it is called. Being able to lean the bike somewhat while the trailer stays level. Any dangers in not having it? Any dangers in having it?

If on a long trip and want to unhitch it so you can ride w/out the trailer, what do you do for security to make sure the trailer is still there when you get back? I do understand too that if someone wants to take it, they will find a way.

Please share which trailer you bought and why. Pics welcome too. Can send them to my e-mail addy if you don't want to post them on the board lylejt@yahoo.com

Like I mentioned before I like the black one from HF partly because it is black and don't have to repaint. It also already comes w/ the diamond plating. black HF trailer I see that it does not mention anything about what type of suspension it has (if any). Some (not all) mention leaf spring. Overall thoughts on that one vs. the others?

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Is it a personal preference in regards to having a swivel hitch? I think that is what it is called. Being able to lean the bike somewhat while the trailer stays level. Any dangers in not having it? Any dangers in having it?

I have been pulling a trailer with my VTX for a couple of years without a swivel. Drug floorboards many times with no ill effects.

I've only pulled it behind the RSV once so far. Time will tell if the greater lean angle of the RSV will pose a problem.

If on a long trip and want to unhitch it so you can ride w/out the trailer, what do you do for security to make sure the trailer is still there when you get back? I do understand too that if someone wants to take it, they will find a way.

I carry a 10' chain and pad lock and chain it to what ever is available. But it's true, If they want it, they will get it.

Please share which trailer you bought and why. Pics welcome too.

I pull an MCT by Aluma. I looked at ALOT of trailers and feel the Aluma had the most to offer for a moderate price. About $1700. I'm very pleased with it

http://www.alumaklm.com/mct_towable_motorcycle_trailer.html

Like I mentioned before I like the black one from HF partly because it is black and don't have to repaint. It also already comes w/ the diamond plating. black HF trailer

The Aluma is available in black with polished diamond plate

I see that it does not mention anything about what type of suspension it has (if any). Some (not all) mention leaf spring. Overall thoughts on that one vs. the others?

The Aluma has a torsion suspension.

Edited by Motorcycle Mike

Most trailers I have owned have stated 45 mph

as some one spelled LAWYERS

The Harbor Freight trailer I have states 45 mph

I have pulled this trailer average 60 - 70 mph on several trips

The same with every other trailer I have pulled

No problem

Keep the bearings greased......

Guest tx2sturgis
Another thing to take into consideration when selecting larger tires is what it will do to the height of the trailer tongue in relationship to the height of the hitch ball on your bike. You basically want the trailer level to slightly pitched forward, if the trailer is not, then towing problems will result. It would be a shame to purchase fancy "high speed" rims and tires and not be able to pull the trailer anywhere because it pulls so badly.

I have to respectfully disagree. If the trailer has a slightly nose-down pitch to it when the bike is unladen, then when the bike is loaded, and the trailer is loaded, the nose-down pitch will be even more pronounced. And this can cause problems during hard braking. If the trailer has a noticable nose-down pitch, then during hard braking, the lever-action of the trailers drawbar against the bikes hitch can cause a lifting tendency of the trailers wheels, inducing a possible slide or jacknife situation, especially during hard braking in a curve, and/or on rough pavement or loose gravel.

Better to have a slightly nose-up pitch to the trailer when the bike is unladen, then it will settle into a more or less level attitude when the bike is occupied and the trailer is loaded.

interesting thought on easier to brake w/ smaller tires. Why is it easier w/ smaller tires (less friction?). I would have thought it would be easier to move w/ larger tires, but we are talking about braking. What do you consider good bearing grease. Honda Moly (if I want to go w/ a more expensive route)? No matter which wheel size I go w/ 8" or 12" not necessarily worried about fancy rims, etc...

Its easier to brake because the smaller tires weigh less, and have less rotating mass. Its only a small difference.

Also, any decent wheel bearing grease will do this job. If the bearings are properly adjusted, then the heat levels will be nominal, and any good quality auto or boat-store wheel bearing grease is fine.

Some people cut their HF trailer to make it not so wide. What is the purpose of doing this? Would seem better to have it as wide as possible for stability of the trailer (and maybe bike/trailer combo too). I have been looking at a lot of trailer companies and none seem to be that wide.

If a trailer is TOO wide it will be inconvenient and maybe dangerous to pull. Hitting obstacles such as fuel pumps and curbs and even cars in parking lots becomes a real possiblility. You have to be careful. Also, a trailer that fits within the bikes 'wind shadow' will pull easier and not affect fuel mileage as much.

You do not need a swivel hitch for normal turning/leaning. The typical ball hitch has enough slack in it to allow your bike to lean during turns. The swivel hitch simply allows your bike to fall over while at a standstill and not damage any hardware. The trailer and hitch hardware will be unaffected. However, a swivel hitch WILL allow the trailer to completely flip over over if it ever gets hit hard enough, or from clipping a curb to close. And an upside-down trailer does not pull well.

....I see that it does not mention anything about what type of suspension it has (if any). Some (not all) mention leaf spring. Overall thoughts on that one vs. the others?

Torsion suspension is the BEST option for any trailer you will pull with your bike. Period.

(Bushtec owners are in a different league here, we are talking about trailers under a grand or 2)

However, leaf spring suspension will also do the job, and can be easily modified for a softer ride.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Hi

I have ridden with a trailer since "85" or before. The 60lb tire pressure is for maximum load. If you do this with a small trailer you will wearout the tread out of the middle of the tire and it will bounce all over the place. I run with 20lbs and get good tire life and very little bounce even though my trailer does not have any springs. I've ran with and without (harbor freight) and without has been smoother. As for swivels, it hasn't been an issue as I could put the old hog on it's running boards and the trailer stayed right there. The only guy I know of that has trashed a trailer behind a bike, was on a Wing w/swivel and the trailer did flip flops as he went around an exit ramp.

And as the lawyer would say these are only my experiences, not ment for everyone.

Latr

Chris

Seeing how there are like 5 or 6 options, which HF trailer did people buy?

I like the aluma and other trailers it's just it would probably take at least 3 yrs to build that kinda cash. I like the idea of buying something for the intended purpose of being a motorycle trailer vs. modifying a trailer to use it for the bike. But many other people have not had issues by modifying the trailer so there is comfort in that.

I still like the black one but one concern is if I cut it to make it not so wide that means I would have to cut the diamond plating too. I could cut it, just not into doing it. Also if you look at the picture it looks like something is going across it so it is not giving a level surface to mount the carrier to. If that is the case, that would not be the ideal one I wouldn't think.

They have one that has a carrier on it. I don't need 2 of them so I was trying to figure out which trailer they are using and see if they have one w/out carrier.

From what I have been reading, by extending the tongue, that reduces any swaying the trailer may have while riding? If so, how many of you have extended the tongue and by how much?

Edited by Sideoftheroad

I extended my tongue 1.5 times the axle length after a fishtailing incident. After doing this I found all this excess room and took advantage of it by adding a SUV rack to the front of the box. Then I wound up with to much tongue weight. Thanks to a lot of fine folks here I got her re-engineered and now absolutely love her. Took her across most of the US and half of Canada this summer with my girlfriend and had a ball, putting 12,000 miles plus on her. No more fishtailing! Granted she is NOT what most would envision as a MC Trailer but I love her!!

I extended my tongue 1.5 times the axle length after a fishtailing incident. After doing this I found all this excess room and took advantage of it by adding a SUV rack to the front of the box. Then I wound up with to much tongue weight. Thanks to a lot of fine folks here I got her re-engineered and now absolutely love her. Took her across most of the US and half of Canada this summer with my girlfriend and had a ball, putting 12,000 miles plus on her. No more fishtailing! Granted she is NOT what most would envision as a MC Trailer but I love her!!

So how did that massive rig tow? What did it do to your gas mileage? Any idea of total weight of trailer and stuff as well as the tongue weight?

So how did that massive rig tow? What did it do to your gas mileage? Any idea of total weight of trailer and stuff as well as the tongue weight?

The "massive rig" towed like any other. I never knew she was back there. Mpg dropped from 4 to 6 mpg on average. Total weight was around 400 with 45 on the tongue!

The "massive rig" towed like any other. I never knew she was back there. Mpg dropped from 4 to 6 mpg on average. Total weight was around 400 with 45 on the tongue!

Similar in weight to my Time Out Camper with all my stuff and AC unit. I can definately tell it is back there, still working out the weight distribution though.

barend,

I do know that HF does have a trailer (not necessarily a mc trailer) for $200 and right now it is 20% off. Not sure if Northern Tool has one too. I have looked at Tractor Supply and theirs are more expensive.

$200 HF trailer

Here is a $200 one from Northern Tool

$200 NT trailer

Edited by Sideoftheroad