IGNORED

Rented a Harley...got a surprise

dynodon

Over the holidays, I was in S. Florida and these trips usually involve my wife and her mother shopping while I try to catch football games and read a book/fall asleep a lot. I'm not into walking beaches or sunning.

This year I did something I wanted to do, rented a 2010 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic. Have to say the folks at Naples HD were friendly even though my "bike" gear was a plain vest, my Evoline Shark helmet and jeans, not "Harley" gear like every other person there to rent a bike.

I spent two days and put on about 600 miles. I now know why they call Florida, "Flatistan" sometimes. I now think my corn country is filled with lovely hills and valleys! :rotf:

But the roads are generally smooth and sight lines are long and there is some interesting stuff to look at like the dozens of Harley Davidson names stenciled or stuck on the bike everywhere I look. No doubting what I was riding.

Weather was 78-80 highs both days, starting out in the low 50's so I dressed in layers and took them off as the day went on. Perfect riding weather actually. I got lucky, because the day after I took the bike back, the high was in the 60's and today it might hit 45? Rained the day after too. Like I say...lucky.

About the Harley. I really wound up loving it. I was open minded, but ready to dislike the vibration, but my hands and feet never once got "tingly" and the seat was comfy. A good test of a bike (and rider) is to put on as many miles as you can one day, get some rest and then go out again. What remains sore is telling you what is wrong. Well, nothing remained sore, and the second day was as glorious as the first with the added benefit of my wife going with me the second day (she normally won't ride, preferring to be on her own bike!) but she was happy in about 2 hours of riding, the longest she has spent on the 2nd seat with me ever! She said the Harley had much more room and was more comfortable than the passenger area of my '86 Venture Royale.

The Harley had plenty of power, and the vibration was only noticeable at idle, and I got used to it. One big problem: heat. at just 80 degrees, stop and go traffic had me looking for longer legs to get away from the engine. I can imagine that 90+ degree days will get worse, and I know why so many parade Harleys have fans pulling air away from the engine. I also developed a "Harley tilt" to my right foot/ankle to get a precious 1/2" more air between my right calf and the engine. Left side didn't seem to have the same problem, because the exhaust isn't there.

Bags were a lot smaller than my Venture Royale, but the top case was nice. I got used to the bar mounted fairing and that was a surprise. I wouldn't consider a fairing like that before, but will now.

I rented the HD because I am considering a replacement for the VR when it wears out. Would be nice to have a new bike for once (never had a new one) before my riding days are over. The Harley is now on my short list. Next I want to ride a new Voyager, and possibly get some miles on a BMW K1200LT. Be nice if Yamaha would update the Venture and give me another choice. But now that I am willing to consider a bar mounted fairing and the V style look doesn't bother me as much, maybe I should reconsider the current Venture because I love my V4!

Anyway, I liked the Harley a lot more than I thought I would.

If ya got the cash and can afford the maintenance and your wife and you aren't as well nourished as my wife and I are, the BMW K1200LT is a sweet bike. More along the lines of a Goldwing. Smooooth running, lots of bells & whistles, heated this and that. No doubt a nice bike. I just like the looks of a bagger. When I travel I rent Harley's too. Mainly because that is all you CAN rent. Agree, not a bad ride. But I do prefer to be on my RSV.

We were down in Marco Island over Christmas and the weather was great for riding. Drove by Naples Harley a few times but didn't get a chance to stop in. They are nice people at that dealer.

I got to ride my son-in-laws Honda 900 a little while I was there. I wish the weather was warmer here I'm dieing to get out some on the Bike.

Steve

I had an 05 Ultra Classic and really liked it. It handles well in town but the RSV is a much better road bike. If you want to try a bike with the fairing mounted to the frame you might rent a Roadglide. They are sweet bikes too. However - I like knowing that I have 6 grand tied up in my 2000 MM with 13,000 miles on it and have a great ride.

Cool story. I live in South Florida and recenty traded my 08 Harlely Low Rider for a 07 RSTD, The Low Rider is a nice riding bike, but sucks for long rides. I just love my RSTD...the smoothness is so nice. Your right about the flat land scape, get kinda boring. But we can ride year around. Well, kinda, it has been cold here lately. We got a freeze warning tonight!

You also right about the heat from the engine. It is a booger in the summer time. There are so man Harley's down here...very seldom do I see a Venture ar a RSTD.

I hope you had a good time while you were here and come again!

Mark

Good story, I've rented Harley's a few times while on vacation without a bike. And they are a nice ride, especially the new ones. I would probably have a HD if I wasn't so darn addicted to these Ventures. It's hard to find much wrong with the HD. The heat of course and it seems like a smaller bike than the Venture, at least the handling sure is different.

Friend of mine flies to Knoxville, Tn then rents a new goldwing for the week and runs back and forth on the Dragon. At least I think that's all he does because that's all I hear about. LOL

BOO

I had a very similar experience ! Open mind when I rented an Electra Glide. I liked it.....but not enough to trade in my 2nd gen Venture!

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42000]First ride in CA /First ride on a Harley - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Hi Mike

Sorry I missed getting a hold of you. Really didn't have much free time ( I had a few projects to get done ).

Next time I'm headed down there I'll give you a shout.

Thinking about a road trip with the hack in the spring down to see the kids.

I had an '89 that my wife 'ok' with but she was never really comfortable on it. We took a trip to Hawaii and rented an Ultra for 2 days. Rode the whole island and she was better with the HD than the '89. Then I got the '07..........

Trust me Don, test ride a 2nd Gen with your wife and you won't be interested in the HD any more. My wife has ridden with me on all my bikes and the '07 wins hands down. Smoother, more powerful, more room for the passenger and WAY better priced.

I had an '89 that my wife 'ok' with but she was never really comfortable on it. We took a trip to Hawaii and rented an Ultra for 2 days. Rode the whole island and she was better with the HD than the '89. Then I got the '07..........

Trust me Don, test ride a 2nd Gen with your wife and you won't be interested in the HD any more. My wife has ridden with me on all my bikes and the '07 wins hands down. Smoother, more powerful, more room for the passenger and WAY better priced.

Interesting comments about the 1st and 2nd gen bikes. My wife actually liked the seating on the 1st gen bike better than the 01. Not me though. Go figure.

BOO

I guess I'm one of those 2nd gen owners that don't have a problem with the 10 year old technology. Sure it would be nice to have fuel infection but if you do you had better not run out of gas. And you probably would have to use premium gas. The tape deck doesn't bother me because I don't use it. All I use is the mp3 player. It doesn't have a tachometer, so what I new that when I bought it. Who cares I never hit the rev limiter anyway. I guess I'm just easy to please.

The new Ultra Classic's are beautiful bikes. I've never ridden one or had the desire to ride one. HD makes a much better bike than they used to but for whatever reason they are way to expensive and even though they have made great progress with the heat issue it still have a heat problem. I ride one up so it doesn't bother me that the HD's rear seat room is smaller the the RSV.

So for my money I'll stick with the RSV. :thumbsup2:

Interesting comments about the 1st and 2nd gen bikes. My wife actually liked the seating on the 1st gen bike better than the 01. Not me though. Go figure.

BOO

Just proves she is smarter than you!!!:rasberry::rotfl::rotfl::snow2:

And appreciates the finer things in life!!

Edited by Yammer Dan

My stay was in Marco, and interesting that there are a couple of you guys from that area. I posted on this site a couple times before going that I would be in the area, and would like to meet up with some Venture Riders from there. Talked with one guy, but he wasn't going to be available. Would love to have met up and done some riding with some locals! :)

Also, I have taken a 2nd Gen out for a ride, but only about 10 minutes or so. IT was nice, but I liked my Gen 1 better. A lot of my friends have them, maybe I can swap bikes with them for a ride this summer, and like the Harley, they will reveal more on a longer ride.