IGNORED

Anyone here ever taken a cruise to Alaska?

Monsta

I'm planning a trip for next year for our (me & my wife ;) ) anniversary. (It is my last state to visit. :) ) I needed some advice on which company to go with.

My in-laws did it. I'll try to find out who they went with. I know they really enjoyed it.

Jay

I never bothered with cruise ships to Alaska , I just went there and stayed ! (1979-1994)

Cruises are OK , but many whom I have spoken with whom did both cruises or walk-abouts , say they enjoyed walk-abouts better . There is more to see in the interior than from the coast line couped up in some glorious tub . If you stay away from the tourist traps and shop where the locals shop , you will not get it in the rear end in prices . Heck , it cost me more to live here in NC than it did in AK .

If it were me in your shoes , I'd fly in , rent a "rent a wreck" , take the land tour or train to Denali , Mt. McKinley , Homer , Seward , Matanuska Valley , Fairbanks and Anchorage . If your into nature , there is hiking and camping everywhere . Grab a giuded tour by float plane , boat , or horseback into the wilderness , or just sit beside some ole geezer , smacking his chops as he is arguing with the other half on a germ infested ship .

Sorry , just never liked cruises where the tour guides said I couldn't go and come as I please .

Gene

We're planning an anniversary trip next year too. It'll be 10 years for us.

We're seasoned cruisers in the caribbean and our last cruise was on the Norwegian Sun to Central America, which repositioned just after we were on it to cover Alaska. We loved the freestyle aspect and enjoyed the ship, so we'd have no problems going Norwegian again.

Of the other cruise lines, our favorite has to be Royal Caribbean, which offers a great combination of value and quality.

We were on Norwegian Sun on our Panama Canal cruise last year. We were on it again this spring on our Alaska cruise. Some of the crew even remembered us. Norwegian (NCL) has a web site.

We did the inside passage, Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau

We were on Norwegian Sun on our Panama Canal cruise last year. We were on it again this spring on our Alaska cruise. Some of the crew even remembered us. Norwegian (NCL) has a web site.

We did the inside passage, Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau.

We found prices to be much better in Ketchikan and Skagway.

At Skagway be sure to take a ride on the White Pass Railway. It is fantastic. Try to time it so the weather is good. We were in fog and rain all the way up the inside passage and back.

We both enjoy the free style cruising.

I never bothered with cruise ships to Alaska , I just went there and stayed ! (1979-1994)

Cruises are OK , but many whom I have spoken with whom did both cruises or walk-abouts , say they enjoyed walk-abouts better . There is more to see in the interior than from the coast line couped up in some glorious tub . If you stay away from the tourist traps and shop where the locals shop , you will not get it in the rear end in prices . Heck , it cost me more to live here in NC than it did in AK .

If it were me in your shoes , I'd fly in , rent a "rent a wreck" , take the land tour or train to Denali , Mt. McKinley , Homer , Seward , Matanuska Valley , Fairbanks and Anchorage . If your into nature , there is hiking and camping everywhere . Grab a giuded tour by float plane , boat , or horseback into the wilderness , or just sit beside some ole geezer , smacking his chops as he is arguing with the other half on a germ infested ship .

Sorry , just never liked cruises where the tour guides said I couldn't go and come as I please .

Gene

But those 10 meals a day will cost a mint! :stirthepot:

I'm planning a trip for next year for our (me & my wife ;) ) anniversary. (It is my last state to visit. :) ) I needed some advice on which company to go with.

If you like 'old school' pomp and circumstance go with Celebrity CL. If you like a lot of fun and activities take Norwegian CL. The wife and I took the kids on CCL in July '06, and enjoyed the shore time, but the trip was kinda booring. We did Norwegian CL 'freestyle' to the Carrabian in '03 and the trip and shore time were a blast.:cool10:

Monsta, in the state of Hawaii, wants to take a cruise in Alaska. Wonder where the folks in Alaska would like to take a cruise to?

RCCL does offer nice accomodations, but I think the Princess line is a little more upscale, and has better cuisine.

I can only take about 10 days of winter a year. :hihi: I have no real desire to cruise somewhere tropical as it would not be real different from where I live. I want to go in early to mid May. It's closer to our actual anniversary and will give me that brisk air feeling I miss sometimes.

I'll check out Norwegian Cruise Line. I looked at Princess last night. Thanks for some of the inside advice. :)

I, personally, would prefer to fly in, rent a motorcycle and take one of the week long tours but the wife likes the amenities. Next year is our 16th, I was suppose to do this for our 15th. Bottom line, she gets what she wants this time....this time?! ...Heck...ALL the time! The 20th is already planned that we take 14-day, cross-country motorcycle trip. :sign outstanding:

Monsta, in the state of Hawaii, wants to take a cruise in Alaska. Wonder where the folks in Alaska would like to take a cruise to?

RCCL does offer nice accomodations, but I think the Princess line is a little more upscale, and has better cuisine.

Vance , Hawaii and Alaska are sister states . We each take vacations to each other states . Fares are lower than someone comming from the lower 48 , well at least it was when I left AK .

If anyone goes to the Princess Lodge over-looking the Russian River , I built the horse drawn bob-sled that is there .

Gene

For those that want to see whales... BE SURE and hit that migration season... Had a friend that went on the recent Holland America cruise and really wanted to see some whales... So we told him to go to Sea World here in San Diego.

It's my understanding that OUT of tourist season is cheaper for the cruise but some of the activities on land are REAL seasonal and shut down once the tourists go home.

I can only take about 10 days of winter a year. :hihi: I have no real desire to cruise somewhere tropical as it would not be real different from where I live. I want to go in early to mid May. It's closer to our actual anniversary and will give me that brisk air feeling I miss sometimes.

I'll check out Norwegian Cruise Line. I looked at Princess last night. Thanks for some of the inside advice. :)

I, personally, would prefer to fly in, rent a motorcycle and take one of the week long tours but the wife likes the amenities. Next year is our 16th, I was suppose to do this for our 15th. Bottom line, she gets what she wants this time....this time?! ...Heck...ALL the time! The 20th is already planned that we take 14-day, cross-country motorcycle trip. :sign outstanding:

Checked with my inlaws. They flew in to Anchorage and took the inland trip. But my mominlaw's sister, (is that an AuntinLaw??) Took Princess and realy enjoyed it. Good luck and take lots of pictures.

Vance , Hawaii and Alaska are sister states .

Gene

Sisters, but obviously not identical twins.

If I had my choice, I would go for warm, sunny sand. Of course, my wife wants to do an Alaskan cruise. So.....next July, we're gonna do......

Alaska cruises are tops .. Our preference is Royal Caribbean .. Inside

passage is tops .. If you can book for the first cruise of the new season,

there will still be snow on the roof tops, cool but not cold and the bugs

don't eat you alive ...

If you need help planning, my dearest is a travel consultant and would be

more than happy to make your dreams a reality ..

http://bludolphintravel.com ... Blue Dolphin Travel

Did the 11 days, 10 nights land and cruise tour on Princess last year. Three days land tour included Denali and a 9 hour train trip on the Denali Express (VERY NICE) to Whittier to board the ship. The seven night cruise on the Inside Passage ended in Vancouver.

If you go, I highly recommend getting a stateroom with a balcony. Unlike the Caribbean cruises, there is almost always something to see in the Inside Passage. It is well worth the extra money.

We were very pleased with Princess "Heart of Alaska Cruisetours".

hugbare, thanks for the link! :D

Leland, thanks for the post. I was looking at the same itinerary. :) A balcony is a must! Don't think I could stay that long on a boat without fresh air and the ability to go outside when I wanted.

The whales that go to Alaska come here in the winter to mate and calve. We sit on our front lanai (porch) and watch them breach. What a site! :happy34:

Pat and I went on Royal Caribbean Caribbean on the Radiance of the seas in 04 and had a blast, 06 we went up on the bike and did the walk-a-bot again.

The Alcan changed a lot since 1992 when we went the first time.

Some friends went with Princess and did the inland passsage and the walk-a-bot last year and loved it.

I guess a lot depends on the weather and ruff seas ain't for a good time.

Pat and I will do the anniversary thing in 2010 for our 50th.

Fred:cool10:

Couple of years ago, the wife and I took the Regal Princess out of San Francisco to Alaska - it was great. We actually were VERY fortunate once we got up to Alaska - we hit the best weather they had had in 2 months. In fact, the two trips previous that ship had made, it was SO rough, people got extremely sick and one man even had a heart attack and had to be flown off.

Having said all that, our trip into the Inside Passage was incredible. We got closer than they had been able to for 4 -5 months. Saw a ton of whales - we went in the beginning of August. We didn't do the CruiseTour - but I wish we would have had the time to do it.

I have cruised several times to the Caribbean - and I love cruising. I strongly recommend you get the balcony for the Alaska trip - well worth the money. I possibly would not recommend the Regal Princess only in the fact that it is an "older" ship - many of the new ones have many more on board ship activities to do. But, if you and your wife like to be pampered, this is the way to go. :080402gudl_prv: