I have an intermittent miss that is driving me crazy.

The symptoms:

Driving down the road one day suddenly the speedo needle gos erratic and the bike misses like I hit the rev-limiter and the radio get louder. Speedo quit working runs fine. Speedo get erratic and bike misses for a second then fine. Happens more after it is warmed up than cold. I split the faring and checked all the connections. When I jacked up the back wheel an ran it (it only happens when running in gear) wiggling the wires to the display caused the speedo to go erratic so I unplug and test ride, no change same problem. New display is $800. Is the computer in the display? The computer for the speed sensor is my best guess right now. Any ideas welcome. Rose is pissed, her bike has been down and she is not nice when she does not get her bike rides. Rod

Leave it to me to come up with a problem on a bullet proof bike!!! I fix 20-30 bikes a week no problem 90k trouble free (aside from shock) on the Venture and I can not get this one. To little info for component diagnosis and parts big $$$ for buy and try. Rod

I had a similar problem with my '92VR...3 days after taking a 2 week trip with the wife on board...(darn glad we were back home first)

the Negative battery connection had come lose.......that's all!!! Tightened it up, and not a problem since! So check those battery connections first!

Rod,

I know them pretty well. I have bought from them and have visited their store in person a few times. Great folks. All parts are stored indoors, nothing out in the weather. Used parts are used parts but Pinwall always gets my recommendation.

+1 for PinWall. Only downside I have found with them is their shipping is quite pricey - BUT, parts arrive as described and one cannot beat the price on much of their stock.

Have you done a voltage test with the bike on?

Have you checked/cleaned/tightened all of the grounds (radio housing under fairing, bolt to/in motor by horn near right leg)?

Have you checked/cleaned the connections for the display?

Have you checked/cleaned the connections to/within/around the fuse box? If I recall correctly some of our members have had some trouble with corrosion in the fuse box.

Just a few thoughts. I don't really know what you have tried and what you haven't tried but I thoght I would throw these out there just in case you hadn't.

If you're looking for a CMS, I have a spare one that the a few of the icons on the LCD do not completely show up (probably just the cold soldiering of the connection). Everything seems to work. If you feel it's a CMS, send me a PM and we can work something out.

He has a 2000 Millenium Clint wont work

:)

I had a similar problem with my '92VR...3 days after taking a 2 week trip with the wife on board...(darn glad we were back home first)

the Negative battery connection had come lose.......that's all!!! Tightened it up, and not a problem since! So check those battery connections first!

I had the same problem on my 99RSV and it also turned out to be loose ground connection on battery...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...