IGNORED

Batteries just aint what they used to be....

1BigDog

Does it seem to you all that car/mcy batteries just dont seem to last as long anymore? I mean I remember when most of my car batteries lasted more than 4 years, some 5 years. I bought my Chevy Trailblazer new in 2002. I just now put in its 4th battery today. Had lunch at Mojos BBQ and came out and the truck was dead. Nice waitress boosted me and I made it home. Yep, she was stone cold dead again. Load test showed a bad battery. DMM says its charging so im good there. Original died at 2 year mark while the others made it 2 1/2 years before they too pooped out. The last 2 were Napa Batteries. Replaced it with a battery from O'reilly's Auto Parts. 84 month warranty with the first 3 years free exchange. Figure if I get another 2 1/2 out of it at least it will be replaced for free.

There are only about 3 major companies that actually build batteries and everyone puts their name on them. The best that I have seen for automotive are from Johnson Controls. (DieHard, Duralast, Interstate, ProStart, Optima and Everstart to name a few of their brands. And Honda auto replacement batteries.) To give you an idea: The warranty on a Honda replacement battery (which is made by Johnson Controls and comes from the Interstate warehouse) is 100 months and 100% free replacement for the first 3 years.

Exide is another battery maker and from past experience maybe the worst. Years ago if you got a factory replacement Lexus battery it was an Exide and we replaced them ALLLL the time.

Seems overall battery performance is better than ever, but I believe they require more water than in the "old days". I have noticed batteries I have had trouble with are low on water. Just my uneducated deduction. Happy New Year! Ebabe

All my cars and lawn tractor have batteries that are at least 4 years old. The Venture got a new battery in 2008.

I usually buy my batteries at Costco (Kirkland, made by Johnson Controls). I've got some deep cycle ones in various stuff that are ancient.

My worst experience with a battery was many years ago with an Exide. Went through three of them in less than two years when the dealer stopped carrying them and replaced it with a different brand that outlasted the car.

All my cars and lawn tractor have batteries that are at least 4 years old. The Venture got a new battery in 2008.

I usually buy my batteries at Costco (Kirkland, made by Johnson Controls). I've got some deep cycle ones in various stuff that are ancient.

My worst experience with a battery was many years ago with an Exide. Went through three of them in less than two years when the dealer stopped carrying them and replaced it with a different brand that outlasted the car.

Darn I shoulda read this earlier!

I just replaced the battery in my 07 escape this morning, it was just off warranty by 2 months, darn it!

I bought an Exide from pArts source cause they had the best price for the cold cranking power.

I hope i have better luck with Exide that you guys did!!!

Brian

I generally get 3 to 5 years out of car batteries, and generally get 5 years out of batteries on my motorcycles, but I always put the factory replacement in the bikes, the Yusa sealed battery, cost more but worth it. Any other discount battery won't last.

I use the wal-mart batteries in the cars, buy their best and last about 3 years.

I go to the cat dealer and buy batteries for the offshore boats, they are a little higher priced, but they are the longest lasting batteries I have ever bought.

And 30 miles offshore you don't want a battery problems.

Gregg

I have had a lot of problems with motorcycle batteries, Usually lasting just 5 or 6 months. I got one battery that had the terminals reversed. That was exciting. I buy the best I can and hope for the best. My truck and car batteries last about 5 years but again I pay for good ones. I love all these greenies who advocate electric cars, just wait until they have to pay for 27 batteries!

All batteries are not created equally. Having said that, there are four major things that have a large effect on battery life

1) Vibration - unfortunately nothing can be done about that other than making sure the battery is mounted properly (and don't ride a Harley).

2) Deep discharge - batteries "hate" it and just a few deep cycles can kill a battery. Similarly, batteries like to be kept near fully charged to prevent sulfation. Leaving a battery at half charge (or less) will dramatically shorten its life. The use of a battery tender can help - just make sure it isn't over-charging the battery (that's really bad too).

3) Maintenance - If you have a non-maintenance-free battery, make sure that the fluid level is kept up using DISTILLED WATER ONLY. Also, in the maintenance category; never charge the battery at a high rate. C/10 is the term used for friendly charging - this is a rate that is one tenth of the battery capacity. So, if the battery is rated for 18 ampere-hours (typical MC batt), an appropriate optimum charge rate is 1.8 amps (constant current charge). Should taper to a lower rate as charge is completed.

4) Climate - This is one area where Northerners have an advantage. Batteries simply last longer in cooler climates.

I typically get 5 years out of a battery in car or scoot.

The last time I stopped in at my local battery dealer to check the batts because starting was getting a little slow on the F250 Diesel, I had to replace them. They laughed when I started to complain about them not lasting, and then pointed out that they were 8 years old..... :)

Exide is no good anymore? I'll have to remember that. I used to have good results with them.

I've noticed I don't see the stickers where you would remove the month and year circles anymore. I think they don't want you to remember how recently you replaced it.

I'm still on the same battery that came with my bike when I bought it four years ago. I have no idea how old it is. I'm crossing my fingers on it.

Does anyone know how to read battery date codes?

In fairness to Exide (since I'm getting strong reactions to my earlier post) that was about 30 years ago. The brand has probably been bought and sold a dozen times since then.

Some of you may recall those were not the heydays of American Manufacturing. That's when "Made in Japan" quit meaning junk and "Made in USA" unfortunately was often not a good indicator of quality or value.

As was already said, a battery will last longer if kept charged. I once had a Yamaha XS650SE and the battery would go dead in about 10 days. I was starting it with the electric starter, riding 2.5 miles to work, starting it after work and riding home. The battery never had a chance to charge!

I solved that problem by kick-starting the beast on work days.

You'all remember kick-starters?