IGNORED

One helluva ride

spear

Greetings all. Public holiday Monday here in my state. Wife says to me yesterday, "Do you want to do a run to Orange tomorrow (125kms away) and do breakfast so I can check out some tiles?" (We're renovating, but who cares? Any excuse for a ride). Didn't have to ask me twice. Up at 6.30 and on the road by 7. Bee-u-tee-ful day. No traffic to speak of that time of the day and the temperature is around 15degC. We got to Orange around 8.20 (couple of stops on the way) and noticed a breeze starting to stir. Did the tile looking thing in the big hardware store (and bought myself some big-boys' toys in the tool shop) and walked back out to the bike. "Sheesh", says the boss. "That wind's picked up quite a bit". So we head off back home. The further we go the more windy it gets. By the time we got home after an hour of non-stop riding I was nackered. By my estimation we had an 80km/hr (50 mph) crosswind ALL THE WAY. Not funny, I can tell you. Every time we came out of a cutting we were blown sideways towards the on-coming traffic lane. I think I've worn the left sides of the tyres away from keeping the bike on a constant lean into the wind. You watch, as soon as the sun goes down the wind will disappear. Hate that. Oh well, back to work tomorrow. Probably ride. Can't be any worse that today was.:)

Yeah the wind is the worse. Don't think I've been in a wind quite that strong I have been in wind probably in the 40 MPH range in thunderstorms.

Pretty sure I have never been "nackered".:cool10::cool10:

The cutting part I understand.

Have fun,

Jerry

Sounds like my ride to Laramie, WY this past July......... only you didn't have the snow, rain, and hail.......:rotfl:

Still trying to translat "nackered", and what the heck is a "cutting"????

Anyone here translate Aussie?????? :stirthepot:

:15_8_211[1]:

Ok I'l stick my foot in it, after all nobody knows me anyways and so can't point a finger and say: there's that dummy.

Nackered: Finished, barenaked, all done in, nothing left..........

Cutting: A place of protection from the wind, most likely a build up of land to the right or left, or both. Could also be trees on the side of the road, or buildings.

How did I do?

I could do it in Dutch but Flemish will have to be your department. You're closer.

We get quite used to translating German\English so now it's your turn to do the Flemish.

Well, i have to confess, my flemish is not any near my english 'Abilities', whatever this may be .... :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

At least, my english is way better than my french or italian or hispanic and also better than my flemish Language. So, i better rest ...

Sounds like my ride to Laramie, WY this past July......... only you didn't have the snow, rain, and hail.......

??????

Yep, GeorgeS and I got into that stuff cutting acrossed Wyo going home thru Ida after Ft Collins. Thunder storms all over the place and we were heading right at one. 50-60mph cross winds with 18 wheelers approaching from the opposite direction kicking it up even higher. It was exciting times....:cool10:. But ya know what.... those old 1stGens tracked better than any bike I've ever ridden. They kicked butt.... I've been on other bikes that would have ended up in a ditch. Love that full fairing....:thumbsup2:

Ok I'l stick my foot in it, after all nobody knows me anyways and so can't point a finger and say: there's that dummy.

Nackered: Finished, barenaked, all done in, nothing left..........

Cutting: A place of protection from the wind, most likely a build up of land to the right or left, or both. Could also be trees on the side of the road, or buildings.

How did I do?

You win. Absolutely spot-on.:thumbsup2:

• 2 years later...

In Missouri crossing the Missouri river bridge, huge strom , estimated N to S wind, 60 mph, and bridge was then (and perhaps now) the open metal sheets where you could see the river below. Heavy traffic while I headed West, and semi's all around me. I was leaning bike way to the north and my body way to the south. Perhaps that was not the right thing to do, but it worked. Had the CB on and truckers were having a ball with me, but I was too busy trying to cross alive to comment.

Pulled into the next truck stop, 5 minutes sunshine. Opened the left luggage rack, 3 holes drilled for drainage from melting ice on my 12 pack of large Coors Lite (not recommended nor done for a long, long time) ... had one with bike on center stand, back seat down, covered with jacket, ... and went sound asleep! ... after probably disposing of the ileagle can.

I was traveling to Longmont Co to see my sons. Dreaded that bridge all the way back, but weather was great all the way. NOT the way to see the Missouri River though.

Would I like to do that trip again? You bet. May do it this summer to Indiania for family history research and seeing old friends in OH if these old bones then feel up to it on my two new kees from 11/04. SO far so good, in fact ... great.

I later rode a trial on a Gold Wing, ... and immediately drove home on my 86 VR. Frebrd (license plate name then) NEVER rode so great in a crisis. Yup, what a tracker.

Jack Tharp

Happily retired now and still riding second 86 VR Squidley sold me with Lonna's permission.

Ft Collins, CO :680::draming::2cents:.. and :parrots: talking to myself sometimes. STILL looking for my LAST IN LIFE Queen Seat riders. FINDERS FEE for sucessful referral! LOL Jz :banana::hurts::rotfl: