IGNORED

safe trailering speed - re visited

massey130

i am wanting to re visit this subject as i was looking at the HF trailer to put my box on, I noticed a disclaimer on the wheels which said 55 MPH Max. most answers had to do with the scooter.

I understand about liabilities and such, but it seems like everyone here who pulls a harbour freight trailer goes 60 to 70 regularly. the scooter is not the weak link here, but the manufacturer's warning i am concerned about.

U-Haul has the same sticker & i ignored it whist renting one 2 summers ago. i did just fine.

has anyone noticed any wheel bearing problems or having to performe wheel maintenance more often or is it status quo and go for these 8" wheels?

the trailer i am looking at probably could hold the 12" wheel, but the kit comes with 8", so i will start out with those.

My first trailer had 8 inch wheels and pulled just fine at highway speed. I firmly believe that the speed rating is put there as a disclaimer to cover their butts.

Take care of the bearings and you should have no problems.

Our piggy backer and bunkhouse has 12 inch wheels. They seem to pull easier but that could be my imagination. Again, taking care of the bearings is a must anyway.

Also important is how you load the thing. Keep the tongue weight up a little so you wont get wagging and dont overload.....it makes it hard to stop!

Dale,

The biggest thing with the HF trailer is to use a GOOD high speed wheel bearing grease. I'm pretty good at repacking the bearings once a year. All my trailers have had Bearing Buddies on them and before a big trip I would always purge old grease out and have fresh new in. I use Kendall Super Blu now and it works well, the one time I was trying something else, my bearings went bad....lesson learned.

BTW I have pulled all my trailers behind several different Ventures at over 80 mph. A couple of them were with 8" wheels....you'll be fine :)

Guest tx2sturgis

Those little 8 inch tires are rated for anywhere from 600 to about 1000 pounds EACH.

So the manufacturer has to cover its you-know-what....if you had them fully loaded and pulling them at 80 mph, on a hot day...yeah...they might get overheated and fail.

Not to mention the bearings might not survive...either scenario would not be good.

But for motorcycle towing, the weights and speeds we normally encounter...you can run them all day at 70-80 and you will have NO problems, assuming your tires are in good shape, inflated properly, and the bearings are well maintained and adjusted.

It is important to remember that the pressure int he tire is important when towing the trailer. It is best to let the tires be a little lower to prevent the trailer from "HOPPING" when you hit a small bump/hump or rock. Remember its like a race car, softer tires equals better handling.

Guest tx2sturgis

Yes...inflation for these little 8" tires is about 10-20 pounds, more or less, for the weights we carry in a motorcycle trailer. Forget the rating on the side, thats only for a maximum load.

I agree not to over inflate, but also do NOT under inflate! Too little air will risk the tire coming loose from the rim (do these have tubes? If not, then for sure do not under inflate!) and it can overheat easily.

And this is the best advice for continued safety:

1. Tongue Weight. Keep about 10% of the total trailer+load on the hitch ball or mount. Prevents weaving.

2. Keep your load packed so it can't shift and move weight back. Some moving forward is better than any moving back.

3. Check the tires and bearings at EVERY stop! Feel them with your bare fingers, and if they are hot, let them cool, check bearing adjustment and grease and air pressure. For almost any decent trailer, the bearings should remain cool or lukewarm even in hot summer travel. Tires can get warm but should never be too hot to touch even in summer.

4. Check your hitch and chains etc at least twice a day, at the end of the day and before taking off at least, and at every stop also while you check your tires and bearings.

If you can upgrade those 8" wheels/tires to 12 or bigger, do it. Bigger tires ride better, won't get as hot and look better to boot.

Those little 8 inch tires are rated for anywhere from 600 to about 1000 pounds EACH.

So the manufacturer has to cover its you-know-what....if you had them fully loaded and pulling them at 80 mph, on a hot day...yeah...they might get overheated and fail.

Yep, years ago I remember seeing small 8" boat trailer tires littering the desert highway from L.A. down to the Colorado River. 100+ degs and 80 miles an hour will eat them up. I don't feel like crunching the numbers, but can you emagine what the rpm of those small tires is at 80mph.....

thanks, guys, i had figured the comments would be like they are. with the collective thoughts and experience here, i knew if there were any weak links in the HF wheel bearings, ya'll would know. i am going to post later what my plans are to get thoughts on the build. i was given an aluminum tool box that will be great for the HF trailer frame that i picked for it. i will go slow and take the winter time to get everything together for the spring.

while the RSV has good storage, making a trip quickly shows what you are limited to. some extra room would be welcome.