IGNORED

To Cold To Start?

tsigwing

So it was 25 degrees when I left the house this morning. Dang it was cold. Bike started no problems in the garage, but got me to thinking when I leave work, how cold is too cold to get it started? I have had a couple of times where it started ok, but idled very low for a few minutes (at full choke).

So it was 25 degrees when I left the house this morning. Dang it was cold. Bike started no problems in the garage, but got me to thinking when I leave work, how cold is too cold to get it started? I have had a couple of times where it started ok, but idled very low for a few minutes (at full choke).

Go start it every couple of hours and warm it up. :255:

Where are you in Texas?

It was 15 degrees at my house and my bike ran with no problem. I started it in the (non-heated) garage (I actually had to choke it this morning), backed out, turned off the choke and took off. Total running time with choke in was probably 30 seconds to 1 minute.

I do not use a battery tender or anything like that either.

I did not notice a significant difference in idle speed or anything with or without choke. Ran like it usually does.

I suppose a few things to ask yourself are: How old is that battery? What condition is the charging system in? When was the last time you ran a fuel system cleaner through the bike? etc.

I'll stop here because I realize that I am not answering your question.

**Hope you get started and take off fine at the end of your work day!

25*F is nothing, try starting & riding at -15*C (without any ice or snow on the roads). If the scoot is in good tune & you have a good battery, there should be no problems starting it. But at these lower temps, keep an eye on the oil, as condensation can build up in there, if coolant temps drop off while riding.

:2cents::snow::snow::snow::canada:

I've never had any trouble starting my RSV all year long. Fires right up, even down as low as 14F (probably the coldest I have had it in North Texas). Five years old, 80,000 miles, and still with the original battery. And it shouldn't idle slow on full choke at all - something not quite right there. I'd blame that on the car tire.

Goose

Oh, I also never had a problem starting any of the Guzzis in Omaha, even at -20F, but I doubt if it does much good to compare an ancient air cooled twin to a merely old water cooled four!

I've never had any trouble starting my RSV all year long. Fires right up, even down as low as 14F (probably the coldest I have had it in North Texas). Five years old, 80,000 miles, and still with the original battery. And it shouldn't idle slow on full choke at all - something not quite right there. I'd blame that on the car tire.

Goose

Oh, I also never had a problem starting any of the Guzzis in Omaha, even at -20F, but I doubt if it does much good to compare an ancient air cooled twin to a merely old water cooled four!

Maybe I should blame the guy who adjusted my floats...

From my bed to my office its hard to get the bike warmed up now. It must be at least 10 ft.

Converted bedroom huh??? My office used to be a spare bedroom until it became un-spare and I had to move out to the dog house...... I miss those short morning walks.... :)

Converted bedroom huh??? My office used to be a spare bedroom until it became un-spare and I had to move out to the dog house...... I miss those short morning walks.... :)

I think she is going to move me when I get "Ugly's" new Digs done. Better plan on putting the heat in NOW!!