IGNORED

any balcksmiths here?

painterman67

any blacksmiths here. I am looking for someone to make a hunting knife out of a railroad spike. I know I can find them on ebay but would like to find someone on the site instead of an annnonamous seller.

Anyone interested. give me a pm.

David

What is the reason for using a railroad spike?? Special properties of the steel? I have never heard of this before and I am curious.

Thanks

Steve

After reading this post, I went to Ebay to see what they looked like. VERY COOL idea. Many years ago, I bought, sold and collected knives. I really enjoyed it and had several hundred at the time. I even made a couple of knives from saw blades and etc. but had never seen these made from railroad spikes.

Back when I had horses , I did shoe them myself . Really didn't make shoes from stock , but used the heat to form and hotset the shoe and/or make Ice shoes when I lived in AK. Made some blades out of horse shoes and still have a few of them hanging around .

If you do not have a forge , you can manage with oxygen/acetylene with a rosebud on the ole torch . Hammer , Tongs and an good anvil on the stump work wonders .

BEER30

Hey Dave,

I do not consider myself an artist what so ever, so I would need some direction, but I have forged many types of metals over the years and have dabbled in knife making as well. (Please see pic below) I too went to Ebay at Freebird's suggestion and feel that there is not a knife in the listings that I could not make. If you would be so kind as to select one of the listings that comes as close to the knife that you would like to have, and supply me with a railroad spike, For the cost of the materials only, I would be happy to donate my labor and reproduce any knife you could find. I really know nothing about leather tooling so I would leave the making of the sheath up to someone else. But as far as the metalworking part goes, I accept this challange.

If I can be of service to you, just let me know. I just happen to have some time on my hands right now.

Earl

You can make a home made forge with a propane fish cooker, lava rocks, and some flat steel, you will then need a forged steel hammers, good anvil, the bigger the better.

A REAL GOOD set of welding gloves, leather aprin, and excellent eye protection.

The Forge, you need peice of 3/8 inch steel mine was 15"x15" the weld 6" flat around 3 sides at an slight angle, on the other use 3" flat, your making a pan to hold the lava rock,

in the bottom of the pan drill several 1/2 holes in the center where the pan will sit over the burner.

You will need a good fish cooker with a round burner, this will need to be fixed where you can tie it down so it is stable, I had welded my pan to my mount.

It takes about 30 minutes for the lava rock to turn red, once they do you can place the spike in them and it will heat to red, then just beat it into whatever shape you want.

USE the gloves the apron and EYE Protection, good saftey glasses with sides, and remember EYE protection, Good saftey glasses with sides, and did I mention the EYE protection, VERY GOOD SAFETY GLASSES WITH SIDES, for you and who ever is standing with in 50 feet watching, metal shardes become projectiles.

I would put pics of mine but I left it when I changed job and it got gone from the county shop, and I have not made a new one, I used it to sharpen lawn mower blades, they last longer if you ping them out and heat treat.

It's fun to play with steel, but be careful, easy to get burned.

Gregg

thanks skydoc. Itll be after christmas before I can get things un der way, but I will be in touch with you. I would also like to pay your for your time too. Not trying to be cheap just willing to pass along what I already intend to spend in nthe first place to someone I know instead of an ebay seller.

I'll let you know first of the year if thats ok. Itll take me that long to get my hands on the spike and the cash to get things shipped and work done. My father in law is a leather smith of sorts so getting a sheath shouldnt be a problem either.

Let me know if that time line works for you.

David

Hey David,

That time frame works well for me, take a look at the railroad spike knives on Ebay and be thinking about what style of knife you would like to have. I spoke to Jean after I showed her your earlier post and told her I was very excited about this project.

Thanks for the opportunity, :thumbsup2:

Earl

It's fun to play with steel, but be careful, easy to get burned.

When I was young an oldtimer once gave me a piece of advice...........He said if you ever pick up a piece of steel that is so hot that it burns your hand..........the best thing to do is drop it ....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:I never forgot that advice.:big-grin-emoticon:

A lot of old knifes started life as worn out files. Common high quality steel. Al Buck (Buck Knifes) started that way. Leaf springs are also good steel and make good blanks. Good luck on the project it looks like a fun one. Nice work BTW Rod