IGNORED

How often do you sync your carbs?

I changed my plugs, put in new diaphragms (3 out of 4 had lots of holes), ran seafoam, synced the carbs, and my mileage went all the way up to 40mpg.

Recent tanks it dropped to about 35-37. So I did the modification whereby I put in a small crankcase filter, and plugged the holes to the airbox and removed the "T" fitting going up to it. Many thanks to skydoc-13 and his write up on how he did this.

My mileage is back at 40mpg.

One of my cylinders warms up just a tiny bit slower... when i check it with my hand...(back right). I'm not sure that is the problem.

Bike runs well, starts right up.

Should I recheck the sync? How often does one syc the carbs? The plugs are clean, I have lost 3 mpg somewhere!

Thanks

:confused:

Edited by jonsmyth
add explanation

I changed my plugs, put in new diaphragms (3 out of 4 had lots of holes), ran seafoam, synced the carbs, and my mileage went all the way up to 40mpg.

Recent tanks it dropped to about 35-37. So I did the modification whereby I put in a small crankcase filter, and plugged the holes to the airbox and removed the "T" fitting going up to it. Many thanks to skydoc-13 and his write up on how he did this.

My mileage is back at 40mpg.

One of my cylinders warms up just a tiny bit slower... when i check it with my hand...(back right). I'm not sure that is the problem.

Bike runs well, starts right up.

Should I recheck the sync? How often does one syc the carbs? The plugs are clean, I have lost 3 mpg somewhere!

Thanks

:confused:

I usually ride mine on nicer days all winter long but that isn't enough to keep everything up to snuff as far as the tuning is concerned. I do mine every Spring when I'm getting it ready for a summer of heavier riding. I just do the normal things of running a heavy dose of Sea Foam through it check to make sure the plugs are healthy and check the filter, dancing diaphragms and sync and what other things that need attending to after such a long sleep.

Dick

Hey Chuck,

Congrats on getting that crankcase vent filter on!, and thanks for the cudos on the write-up. Here is some information that might be helpful to you. With a dose of sea foam in the tank, your mileage is going to drop because sea foam is an excellent Carb. cleaner but a lousy fuel. Check you mileage again after the next full tank of regular gas. (not running hi test gas I hope!) If you would like to get you mileage into the mid to high 40's try the FIVE BIKES needle shim mod, Instead of using Stainless Steel washers I now make a Nylon replacement washer that goes in place of the Nylon Spacer on the slider needle. Interested, PM me. I have a write-up on the install by the way. I Sync. my Carbs. more than most do but I always Sync. them when I modify ANYTHING to do with the Carbs. or intake system. Other things to check would be, Air Filter, Spark Plug Wires, Fuel Filter. I can tell when my air filter gets dirty because of the decrease in the gas mileage.

If you have any other questions, just ask. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey Chuck,

Congrats on getting that crankcase vent filter on!, and thanks for the cudos on the write-up. Here is some information that might be helpful to you. With a dose of sea foam in the tank, your mileage is going to drop because sea foam is an excellent Carb. cleaner but a lousy fuel. Check you mileage again after the next full tank of regular gas. (not running hi test gas I hope!) If you would like to get you mileage into the mid to high 40's try the FIVE BIKES needle shim mod, Instead of using Stainless Steel washers I now make a Nylon replacement washer that goes in place of the Nylon Spacer on the slider needle. Interested, PM me. I have a write-up on the install by the way. I Sync. my Carbs. more than most do but I always Sync. them when I modify ANYTHING to do with the Carbs. or intake system. Other things to check would be, Air Filter, Spark Plug Wires, Fuel Filter. I can tell when my air filter gets dirty because of the decrease in the gas mileage.

If you have any other questions, just ask. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey, Earl, I forgot to tell in the post that I removed the washers, and slid the cir-clip from the middle of five positions to the next higher position on the main jets, because my plugs were so sooty when I bought the bike.

Maybe I should lean it out to the leanest position? I hate to go to all the trouble, re-sync the carbs,etc...just to find out it will be too lean! The plugs now after 1 K miles looks good....

Thanks!:farmer:

Hey Chuck,

I too have an 87'VR and I do not have the adjusters on the slider needles as you have. Even with the other Carb. mods and the FJR1300 final drive I have in my bike, I still get a SOLID 42 MPG even though I ride pretty much "wide open" all the time. I would think that 40 to 45 MPG would be doable on your scoot by adjusting the slider needles one more notch as long as you have attended to the other items I mentioned. By the way, thanks for the friends request, it's a pleasure to chat with you about your bike as we have the same model year.

Come on now, give it one more try, after all it's getting close to winter. :snow2: And how many times can you polish your VR before the paint starts to rub off! :crackup::rotf::crackup:

Good luck on your quest for better gas mileage,

Earl