IGNORED

The end of the rsv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ken

I'm pretty sure Yamaha will soon, or already has ceased production on the RSV. And I would speculate it is because any Royal Star built after January 1st will have to meet the new EPA standards which would require fuel injection.

If they will bring it back with FI, revamp it based on the new V-max engine, drop it and just produce a V-star, or Strat full dresser, or not produce any full dresser for 2011 are all possibilities.

Although I doubt they will go with no full dresser, Kaw went years without a full dresser and recently decided the market had room for another. I actually read an article in an industry motorcycle sales mag, that speculated that one of the reasons Yamaha sales was so down was because they had not updated their top of the line touring model in so many years.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know...I always thought that I would probably buy at least one more new bike during my lifetime but I've about come to the conclusion that I may not. My '99 tops the list as the all time favorite of those that I have owned and I've owned a lot of bikes over the years. Retirement is coming quicker than I thought and justifying the cost of a new bike when I really do love the one that I already own just doesn't make as much sense as it once did. So....things could change but at this point...I'm not leaning towards ever replacing it. The '99 is paid for and has been for many years. Though we love to ride, life has gotten in the way and really reduced the number of miles that we get in each year. I hope to ride until I'm finished on this earth but am thinking that I can easily do it on the '99.

Oh, how you start to make sense. :doh: Where were you 6 months ago when I was going through my middle-age crisis and just had to have a new one? :rotf:

:motorcycle: :motorcycle:

You know...I always thought that I would probably buy at least one more new bike during my lifetime but I've about come to the conclusion that I may not. My '99 tops the list as the all time favorite of those that I have owned and I've owned a lot of bikes over the years. Retirement is coming quicker than I thought and justifying the cost of a new bike when I really do love the one that I already own just doesn't make as much sense as it once did. So....things could change but at this point...I'm not leaning towards ever replacing it. The '99 is paid for and has been for many years. Though we love to ride, life has gotten in the way and really reduced the number of miles that we get in each year. I hope to ride until I'm finished on this earth but am thinking that I can easily do it on the '99.

Good thought, I think I will do my 04 RSV, like my 96 caravan, 252,000 miles and still going. My daughter is constantly telling me I need a new one, I told when this one dies, she came but dad you keep reviving it.

So that means I got 234,000 to go on the Venture. I've put 8000 on it since June, that shoulb be about 20,000 to 25,000 a year, that should give me a good 10 years.

Gregg

Edited by footsie

It would seem that as the riding population ages, more of us are looking at full touring bikes, not cruisers with a fairing. There is no way I could ever get my wife on a bike that was less equipped than a Venture. We sat on a Stratoliner once, and she laughed at me. At the same dealer they had the Victory model, she could live with it, but the styling...?

Before he gave up his yamaha dealership, Jim Martin had a 2005 roadliner, with the corbin fairing, xm, cruise, corbin hard bags, corbin seat, no trunk but the bike was decked out otherwise. I think it would have been a great cruiser, I can see where Yamaha might full dress a Roadliner as its new touring bike. Would direct compitition for the voyager.

Gregg

Cycle World mag just hit the door yesterday, they have a bagger Strat with a fairing on it pictured as a new model from Yammi next year.

Their Deluxe is not quite a full replacement for the RSV but add a trunk, lowers and bigger fairing w/a radio and stuff and you've got a full dresser.

http://www.cycleworld.com/assets/image/2009/W37/090820091418405947.jpg

Their Deluxe is not quite a full replacement for the RSV but add a trunk, lowers and bigger fairing w/a radio and stuff and you've got a full dresser.

http://www.cycleworld.com/assets/image/2009/W37/090820091418405947.jpg

Easier and cheaper to add that stuff then make a new frame put a new engine in etc for a Venture. If this bike is here (Stratoliner) and already fuel injected/Vtwin Harley competitor with that low RPM torque Harley guys like to talk about. I dont see how they can make a New Venture that looks like a Harley with a Vmax motor to compete against the Stratoliner. They look pretty much the same to me. Not to disrespect any 2nd Gen owner I think Snarley Bill is right if they put the Vmax motor in something else it will be a big Sport tourer something that can carve corners. The classic style is nice for cruising but not for corner carving. So that being said I think the Stratoliner is your future "New" Venture.

This subject comes up a lot and different dealers are always giving their opinion but the fact is, no one knows. Yamaha is tight lipped about the next years products and they don't even let the dealers know until the models are introduced. My dealer told me that the 08 would be the last venture because of poor sales and there was no way there would be a 09. No one will know until the new models are introduced.

So that being said I think the Stratoliner is your future "New" Venture.

I certainly hope not. I've ridden the 'Liners and like the bike and would love to have one if I ever sell the Road Star, but it definitely isn't a Venture. If Yammi can't step up and build us the new Venture that I think most of us want (fuel injected, shaft drive and 1700cc 4cyl) then I'll be riding my '07 for a LONG time and buying used ones after that. In fact, I think Yamaha is driving a lot of the Venture riders to Gold Wings by taking so long to update the Venture and if they go to the Liner platform they will probably loose a lot more.

...but that's just my nickels worth. :happy34:

I was talking to a long time STAR member recently. He said he wouldn't be suprised if they phase out the Venture. What he noticed is Yamaha will phase out a bike and then reintroduce an updated version a few years later.

Hmmmm, come to think about it.... they did that with the Royal Stars already once. I guess that means it will be something like 2020 before we see a new version!

Oh, no, wait... Everything ends in 2012. :confused24:

If Yamaha uses the Strat for the new Venture, like Kawasaki used the Nomad to make a Voyager, then I'll be moving to the Goldwing for my next bike.....or buy a nice Valk Interstate. I had an '07 Strat and traded it for my ex '07 RSTD just to get rid of it.Only had 7,000 miles on the Strat when I traded it. Man, I hated that bike! Then I traded the RSTD for my '09 RSV which I like fairly well.

One of the guys that rode with the local Star Chapter traded his Venture on a new Strat. He has been trying to sell the Strat to go back to the Venture. The last time I saw him, he was still on the Stratoliner. His wife won't ride with him anymore.

Any new bike would have to have EFi and ABS. The price on the Deluxe is so high I would look at the new Victory or Voyager. I stopped in at Harley dealer and looked at a Ultra, I just don't like the attitude of Harley dealer/owners all other motorcycles are bikes not

motorcycles. If things go well this winter my 03 Venture will go up for sale.

I just called Japan / Yamaha.. and spoke to Mr. Ya Maha ..........:whistling:

He said they don't know anything about this rumor, and anything posted on a Goldwing site about a Yamaha RSV is most likely a competitive posting to sell more GW's...

I tend to believe him Mr. Ya Maha myself..............:thumbsup2:

Well 1st gen had a 10 year run. 2nd gen is on 11 year run. maybe it is time to stop a few years and come back with a new one. By the way, Yamaha has never tried for big numbers as far as the Venture is concerned. The gen one was different and inovative. The gen two is simply a version of something else.

Like eveything else, I bought a Valkyrie and honda quit making them, found bluesjeans I really liked and duckhead quit making that style, earthshoe made a shoe that was really comfortable to me and guess what, I bought 2 pair and they quit making them.

I should have known when I bought the Venture it was all over for the RSV.

Just shoot me

Gregg:doh:

heh... and in my case, I was born and then they quit making the mold... :rotf: :rotf:

It would seem that as the riding population ages, more of us are looking at full touring bikes, not cruisers with a fairing. There is no way I could ever get my wife on a bike that was less equipped than a Venture. We sat on a Stratoliner once, and she laughed at me. At the same dealer they had the Victory model, she could live with it, but the styling...?

Story in our local newspaper today...

--------------------------------------------------------

As the baby boomers continue to age, the 55 to 64 age group will increase by 30.3% or 9.5 million persons, more than any other group. The 35 to 44 age group will decrease by 5.5%, reflecting a slowed birth rate following the baby boom generation, while the youth population, aged 16 to 24, will decline 1.1% over the 2006-2016 period.

--------------------------------------------------------

Statistics point to more and more "touring bike riders". One would think that such companies as Yamaha would be in tune with that and design/develop bikes for the "now" market.

I believe we will see a completely redesigned touring bike from Yamaha. It may not go by the name of "Venture" but it will be a touring bike in competition with Honda, BMW, Kawasaki, Victory, and Harley and don't be surprised if Suzuki joins the race.

I was at the Lone Star Rally in Galveston, Texas the end of October and talked to the Yahmaha dealer there and he said that Yamaha wouldn't mess with perfection. My dealer in Georgetown, Texas says that he will have to wait and see what Yamaha offers to the dealers at show. I am going to the International Motorcycle show in Dallas on the 15 of November, I'll ask more questions of the folks there.

I don't know if it was 'they quit' as they took one look and went :yikes::yikes::yikes:, then buried the mold so they wouldn't do that again...

:rasberry:

"quit" .... "buried the mold" ... whatevah ... same outcome :sign20: :sign20:

and that is ... once ya reach perfection, no need to continue...:rasberry: :rasberry:

heh... and in my case, I was born and then they quit making the mold... :rotf: :rotf:

I don't know if it was 'they quit' as they took one look and went :yikes::yikes::yikes:, then buried the mold so they wouldn't do that again...

:rasberry:

Nope, they gave it to Jamie & Adam to blow up, or otherwise destroy................. :stirthepot::stirthepot:

I was told a the Yamaha tent in daytona, by one of the Yamaha reps last year 08 at biketoberfest, that the RSV was yamaha's answer to the Electra Glide Ultra which appearance has basically remained the same for 50 years, there have been engine upgrades and modernizing of appearance but the a 1950 looks like a 2008.

And Yamaha has adopted that theory for the Venture, the basic look will not change.

There maybe upgrades.

Like I said take it with a grain of salt

Gregg