IGNORED

Not exactly what I wanted!!!!!

Dragonslayer

It's that time of year again when those of us that are yearning for the hunt get that disorder that is commonly referred to as Buck Fever. :rudolf:

Those of you not interested in hunting may not understand. But, being a life time hunter it hits me hard about the time I notice the leaves changing. This year one of our members and one of my newest bestest friends generously offered to let me hunt on his property which is located smack dab in the middle of prime Georgia deer and wild hog territory.

The weekend before last I got a late start for the morning hunt to get to my spot and settled before sunrise. So, on the way to the stand I spooked the big boy as he was passing my stand :doh: on the way to breakfast. And as a result he blew and ran off and I blew my chance at bagging a big buck for a least that hunt on that day. So the next hunt day ended up being yesterday. And, I was pretty determined to get to my spot on time.

Buuuuut, My house mate, sidekick and hunting companion, Chris (lovingly referred to as Miss Stumpy, sometimes Guney Bird) does not respond well to being aroused from her slumbers at 4:AM nor does she seem amused, pleased or motivated by my motivational and time management speech which pretty much consist of repeating over and over again....................... "Areba, areba...... on-delay, on-delay, on-delay......no time for that........don't stop now.......... we're burning daylight!!!!!! "

:confused24: I don't know why.

So, to appease her so she would get in the car, and with alterior motives, :whistling:I offered to drive. Knowing full well that I would be able to make up some lost time while she slept in the passenger seat on the way.

Time wise we were cutting it close and about three miles away from the property I was watching the first hint of daylight peeping over the horizon when in my peripheral vision I see a humongous buck (with a rack bigger than anything I have ever killed in a lifetime of hunting), leap through a hedgerow and over the fence alongside the road just in time to land on the hood of the car.:scared:

Now I wasn't really watching the speedometer nor do I know exactly how fast the buck was moving through mid air but, I estimate the combined impact was somewhere around 100 MPH. As much as Chris hates to be woken up at 4:00 AM she really hates being woken up by the airbag smacking her in the face as it deployed. :240:

As much as I was hoping to kill a big buck yesterday morning this was not exactly what I had in mind, obviously.:bang head:

Understandably, she was quite upset, shaken up and scared :Bunny2:as we were on the side of the road, out in the middle of the country and out of cell phone range inspecting the damage to HER smashed up car.

I was gonna try to put the dead humongous 8 point buck in the trunk but I couldn't lift it by myself and Chris wasn't interested :Im not listening to in having anything else to do with that deer at that point in time. Being more concerned with her car than the dead deer, rightfully so.

The damage to the car was pretty dramatic with a broken windshield, deployed passenger airbag, missing right front head light, crumpled hood and right front fender. But, fortunately the car was still drivable. The engine would run and it wasn't spewing radiator steam. So, we left the dead deer on the side of the road and rode on to the property. I couldn't blame Chris for not wanting to go hunting after all of that, but, since we were there I figured what the heck. Chris went back to sleep in the camper while I went hunting in time to miss a shot at a 300 pound wild hog.

Later in the morning John, his son Jesse and I went back to the scene of the accident to retrieve the deer. But, to my disappointment :crying: someone had seen the humongous dead buck roadkill and had claimed it for their own trophy wall. :bang head:

Since Chris' car was close to the end of it's economic life. She had opted for liability and uninsured motorist insurance and passed on the comprehensive insurance coverage when time to renew her insurance policy. So, since the buck was an uninsured deer and not an uninsured motorist, Geico was not gonna be of much help. :doh:

That being the case, first thing this morning, my son Clint and I were at Pull-A-Part junk yard in search of and pulling vintage Chevrolet parts. To my delight and surprise we found the hood, fender, headlight and airbag assembly all for less than $150.00. :mo money:

The two of us got out the tools and tore into the project like experienced and professional auto body shop mechanics.... which we're not. None the less, amazingly we got the unibody cross member perfectly straight by use of a logging chain, a gigantic pine tree and a quick joilt in reverse. By lunch time we were bolting on our new vintage Chevrolet parts. By dark we had the car back together as good as new..........almost. Except for the two tone paint job and the still cracked windshield.

Since I know I'm gonna end up painting the car anyway I'm thinking ghost flames and maybe an airbrushed depiction of a dead Humongus eight point buck on the hood, or something else equally cool. :cool10: I hadn't mentioned that part to Chris yet.:thumbsup2:

Not hurt "YET" :duck:

It was nice knowing you Bob.

Chris is in a much better state of mind this morning since I got her car put back together. After I read her this post see even laughed and said " I guess all you do is laugh about it." If I keep being nice she just might let me do the airbrush thing on the hood.

The big ones are so good at getting away, even after they are dead.

I did that with a buck (not as big) once but I dragged it farther off the road and hid it under a Pine tree so that it would still be there on the way home when I could meet up with the sheriff.

In Wisconsin you would not dare put an untagged deer in or on your vehicle, you have to wait for the sheriff to put a road kill tag on it. Unless of course you wish to donate that vehicle to the state.

What no pictures???:crying::rasberry:

What time will the pork chops be on the grill???:big-grin-emoticon:

I didn't have my camera handy when it happened and since SleeperHawk's mechanic Bobbie wasn't there I didn't get any pictures of the deer, wrecked car or us standing on the side of the road before daylight but, here are some pictures of the before body parts and the car after the new vintage parts are installed and before the new paint job.

Deer hunting with a car? Dont'cha know that ammo is cheaper than car parts?:rotf:Ya Think

Glad no one was hurt regardless of the hunting method used! Me too, It really would have been a bad day if we added injury to insult.

Boomer....who prefers to shoot em from the Living Room window....and always makes sure the window is open now.:doh:

Opening the window is a good thing if you gonna shoot out of it. At least your house aint moving. I've never heard of a deer running into a house before. Oh, maybe I have seems like I remember a you tube video of a deer jumping through a livingroom window. Hey Boomer you better watch out.

Thanks, It turned out OK. I found out that all you need to do auto body work is a big hammer, a logging chain and a pine tree.

Thanks for the story Bob, loved every minute of it. Did the tree thing with an old jeep years ago, hit a tree off roading (old rusted out 79 CJ7), just wrapped the chain around a tree, reversed it a few times and straightened the frame back out!

Good job!

OR BearChaser... :stirthepot: :stickpoke:

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

I have all of those merit badges and a few more. They wont all fit on the resume.

Went back to the property today and killed a buck and , Chris killed her first deer, a doe and I missed two other does, with the gun this time. I don't know how many I missed with the car this trip, it was dark both going and coming so I couldn't see em. It's a good thing too, I don't think I can drag, field dress and process more than 2 a day. Plus a flat tire with no jack in the woods. Up at 4:00 am again this morning it's 10:00pm now and I'm just getting my shower and dinner. I'm wore out enough for one day.