If it is like the Venture, you will need a GPS to find out.

I buried the speedo on my 07 Venture (120mph), and had plenty of throttle left. This was 2up.

Too fast for me. Though it was the smoothest bike I've been on at that speed. It sure didn't feel like I was going that fast. My wife had to point out to me that we had buried the needle. This was while 'testing' with an 08 Road King and an 05 Sportster. Neither could keep up with me. :)

I won't be finding out top speed myself.

- Before any of you say it, I know it wasn't a smart thing to do. But we all do stupid things sometimes. My wife and I are willing to take chances sometimes.

craigr

I just got a 2007 RSTD after owning a 2008 Harley Lowrider. I love the RSTD and I'm getting used to it. One thing I miss is the 6th gear on the Harley. It was a true Overdrive. MY RSTD seems like it is over reving when going about 70 in fifth. I also miss the tach that was on my Harley.

Trying to get used to the strange mosies it makes, whining, and such, which I was told was normal. The Harley made noise too but I had Vance & Hines Big Radius pipes which were noisy.

My wife sure likes the new RSTD, was really looking for a Venture but the deal I got on this 2007 with just 8200 miles was too good to pass up.

I know it has much more pick-up than my old Harley did and it handles sooo much better.

I'm one happy camper with my Yahama!

Mark

Both 4th and 5th on these V4s ARE overdrive (greater than 1:1 ratio). The V4 likes the revs. Infact some folks don't even use 5th under 60mph. Don't be afraid to wind it out. You cannot hurt it, the rev limiter will stop it long before the revs will hurt.

Passing gear even at interstate speeds can be 3rd, believe it or not. I'm told :innocent: the rev limiter will not "catch" it in 3rd until 96, or so...

Coming from a V-Twin myself, I found it hard to get used to 'winding her out'. Even after reading the suggestions on here several times.

Then I did it on the Interstate passing someone and she felt like I was trying to hold a race horse back.

It's very true what they are telling you, the bike LIKES the high revs!! It's hard to believe these big ole bikes can run like they do.

craigr

Both 4th and 5th on these V4s ARE overdrive (greater than 1:1 ratio). The V4 likes the revs. Infact some folks don't even use 5th under 60mph. Don't be afraid to wind it out. You cannot hurt it, the rev limiter will stop it long before the revs will hurt.

Passing gear even at interstate speeds can be 3rd, believe it or not. I'm told :innocent: the rev limiter will not "catch" it in 3rd until 96, or so...

I do believe that on the way to work last Friday, I was way past the legal limit on the freeway in 2nd gear. :whistling:

My RSTD (and I guess other 2nd gens) handles far different than other bikes I've had. And it was very difficult to learn to do it... until I put on Road King pipes. Suddenly, winding it out sounded like an F1 race car, and it is thrilling to do so.

One of my favorite moments from a group ride to Arkansas a week ago was when I was leading on the way home. All weekend one of the riders on his anniversary edition H-D kept talking about how he'd gotten performance upgrades, etc etc. I pulled out rather quickly from a stop on backroads in OK, and I guess the H-D took it as a challenge. He whomped it and I heard him bleat, so I twisted the throttle while still in first gear. He did inch up until I was near the rev limit. I put it in 2nd and he gave up far behind me before I was wound out. So much for his fancy bike and upgrades. :buttkick: Plus, he got to listen to my F1 sounds, which are loud when on throttle. :happy65:

Anyways, the point is that these bikes are just different.

As for the max speed, I think that big windshield makes the bike a bit wonky over 100mph. Er, or so I've heard. :innocent:

Dave

Top Speed??? Well the rev limiter kicks in before you can get there! Even in 5th gear my 1999 tour deluxe hits the rev limiter just short of 115 mph. In 3rd gear it kicks in just over 95 mph so I know it isn't going as fast as it could. It's a Yamaha safety feature. It will cruise along at 110 without a whimper and it feels no different than 80, other than wind pressure.

Gary

I looked it up Yamaha lists the top speed in 5th gear for an MK1 at 139 MPH but having rode mine up to just over 120 I have no dought it will go way over that, I just don't have what it takes to push it that far. :no-no-no:

After disconnecting the rev limiter, a RSV will hit 140+ at Lowe's Motor Speedway. I know this because I did this. Speed verified by ET and radar. That was in 2003 (sponsored by Kyle Petty), but I was not running a stock motor. I have a motor officer friend in VA. and he can hit 130 stock.

:farmer: