IGNORED

Sleeperhawk's New Instrument Panel Installation

Sleeperhawks Mechanic

I gotta tell ya'll, the gauge set up looks ten times better in person. George replicated the marble look from the dash almost perfectly!

I had a few laughs helping him, I don't think I ever saw George so nervous as when he was cutting out that dash panel!:crackup: I can't wait to see Riderduke start cutting on his bike, there is something about hacking chunks out of perfectly good plastic that makes people cringe.

Hopefully, we can get the proper fitting and finish the job this week.

Dave

George replicated the marble look from the dash almost perfectly!

I too was wondering how the paint was duplicate.

Care to share the secrets of your excellent adVENTURE? LOL :missingtooth:

Steve

aka Bubber

SleeperHawk,

Just wondering if you wouldn't mind enlightening some of the rest of us on how you painted and marbelized the face plate to match the dash.It makes it look like it came that way from the factory.Very nicely done!

First, Ponch sent me the primer version of the strip.

Second, bought the 3 cans of spray paint at Autozone, very black but shiny, then the darkest gray they had (shiny), then a can of clearcoat.

The rest was Pecker's idea.

Sprayed with black, then wet sand with 2000 grit, did this about 4 times.

Here is the secret :whistling: took a Walmart bag, wadded it up tightly, sprayed the gray on the bag, then dabbed the metal plate all over, let it dry, wet sand with 2000, then did all over again.

Then sprayed with clearcoat, wet sanded, sprayed again, about 3 times.

It is close, but not quite. But I thank all who liked the job I did.

Took about a week, the spray paint dries quickly.

:cool10::cool10:

Sleeperhawk got the fitting from Pecker today and this evening after a couple of reruns, got the temp fitting tightened down with NO LEAKS!!!:thumbsup2:

He ran the bike and got the temp up to 205 and the fan kicked on so he knows that the engine did get hot enough.

Check out all the guages working like a champ!

Sleeperhawk gives very special thanks to Ponch for the parts and instructions (oh, and a couple of phone calls), to Wanderer for helping with the electrical portion, and to Pecker for getting the special fitting in such a short period of time and for grimacing when Sleeperhawk was drilling into the fairing. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

:clap2: Glad to hear it all worked out for ya George. When you called yesterday evening saying it was leaking water, I sure got worried. I guess the plumbers dope did the trick?

Anyhow, now that you know what your doing, Who's next?:stirthepot:

I would be more than happy to supervise the next willing victim... I mean candidate.:crackup:

Dave

:clap2: Glad to hear it all worked out for ya George. When you called yesterday evening saying it was leaking water, I sure got worried. I guess the plumbers dope did the trick?

I would be more than happy to supervise the next willing victim... I mean candidate.:crackup:

Dave

As soon as I find the right white paint to match my bike I'll be taking a trip down:happy34:

Dave

Used Oatey Great White Pipe Joint Compound with PTFE. The Teflon Tape was just not sealing well at all with the joint going into the water jacket. First use of the Oatey had a very tiny leak, but still there, then I got to thinking :whistling: maybe I should let this stuff set a while, so pulled it back out, cleaned and re-doped it again, and let it set for about 1 hour. This stuff is working very well now.

Still would like to try the fitting that the business did not have in stock due to the very tight clearance issues both sides and top.

But I am happy with the final product. Now I just have to find me an MP3 player , almost as useless as the tape deck. :rotf::rotf::rotf:

if it leaks again , use an 0-ring

As George said, it has an o-ring. The problem with the potenttial leak is that the face of the threaded hole isn't machined to seal to an o-ring. Instead of using the industry standard for sealing metric fittings, Yamaha decided to use thread sealer, and lots of it for the water jacket plugs. Really makes the plugs hard to get out of the head.

Dave

yeh...i found that out.....but when the metal washer on my fitting leaked and became distorted....i used an o-ring and that solved my problem.....just relaying what worked for me....and didn't see any comments about his fitting having an o-ring