IGNORED

i gotta to brag !

Thom

I installed a Blue Ox sportloader 2 in a pickup for American Iron mag last week , it was a rite up on how good it is and how easy it was to install , it was the 1st one i have install and i got to say i like it and it only took 15 min. with 2 people to do , it is very easy to load a bike on but i think the 2 peace ramp is heavy . i like it a lot better than the old model and it is better than the cable type .

now for the ego , in the Amer. Iron peace they show a HD being loaded but in the same peace in the sister mag. Metric Iron , wait for it ! :whistling:they show my bike being loaded , a 1st gen ! i was going to wait for the mag to come out buuut i could not wait that long to brag about it :cool10:

If it's like the one that I saw demoed at a bike show a few years ago, it is powered. The one I saw had a winch and cable but Thom says the new one doesn't use a cable so it must use some other mechanism. The ramp also went pretty much all the way to the ground. You didn't push the bike up the incline. Don't know if it's the same one or not.

Probably a dumb question, but here goes anyway....

How do you get the bike UP the ramp?

There is no way one would ride it up, and most of us aren't strong enough to push it up that kind of incline.

craigr

Yeah, my thoughts too, although from the pics it doesn't look like it needs to be balanced. I'd need some sort of outboard ramps if it needs to be ridden up the ramp. I wouldn't have enough guts to stand next to if it doesn't. Maybe there's more to this story than meets the eye..... :)

sorry about the lack of info , it has gear driven trolly that comes down the ramp and you drive the front wheel into and use 2 tie down straps to hold the front of the bike than use the remote control to run the trolley and bike up into the bed than tie down the bike . the ramp is in 2 parts that store next to it , 1 of the nice things about it , there is really no install , it attaches to the 2 pins that hold the tail gate on , the battery box is on the trolley , if you want to remove it from the truck , just pick it up 3 in. and pull it out , but the thing weighs 300 lbs !

and yep it is pricey almost 3 grand ! i think on line you can get 1 for 2,000 and the only reason you need to pay for a install is because of the weight , 2 healthy men can put one in .

Blue Ox sent this one to us free for the mag. promo and boss said if anyone brings the mag in we'll sell and install one for 300.00 off but i still think that is pricey ,

i took video of it but my computer said it was bad [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhuc954gpeg]YouTube - sportloader 2[/ame]

Edited by Thom

Waterbug and MarinerFan might know whom I am talking about but we had a STAR member put some sort of trailer hitch platform on the back of his Silverado to haul his brand new Venture out to Arizona. We all kept telling him to figure something else out as w/ the weight of the bike the platform it was sitting on was about 3-4 inches from the ground and the Venture was leaning left (towards the ground).

The platform he had seemed to be made for hauling motorcycles (maybe just not as heavy as one) and to be used w/ a hitch, but it was obviously not safe. It had a heavy duty cylinder on it to raise/lower the platform but don't believe it was electrically driven?

Another member followed him home that day about 30 minutes away. He said the platform did bottom out a few times.

He can be very stubborn so I am sure he still used it. I believe it made it out there and back at least. He for whatever reason did not want to use a trailer. I think it had to do w/ if he had to back it up and such. I realize there is a certain finese and patience to backing up a trailer.

I was gonna mention this to him but doubt he would go for it due to cost. Not sure how much he paid for the platform.

Waterbug and MarinerFan might know whom I am talking about but we had a STAR member put some sort of trailer hitch platform on the back of his Silverado to haul his brand new Venture out to Arizona. We all kept telling him to figure something else out as w/ the weight of the bike the platform it was sitting on was about 3-4 inches from the ground and the Venture was leaning left (towards the ground).

The platform he had seemed to be made for hauling motorcycles (maybe just not as heavy as one) and to be used w/ a hitch, but it was obviously not safe. It had a heavy duty cylinder on it to raise/lower the platform but don't believe it was electrically driven?

Another member followed him home that day about 30 minutes away. He said the platform did bottom out a few times.

He can be very stubborn so I am sure he still used it. I believe it made it out there and back at least. He for whatever reason did not want to use a trailer. I think it had to do w/ if he had to back it up and such. I realize there is a certain finese and patience to backing up a trailer.

I was gonna mention this to him but doubt he would go for it due to cost. Not sure how much he paid for the platform.

:yikes: Yikes, I had considered doing something like that for my bike(s) on the back of my F-250 BUT when I saw that the racks are rated for only a few hundred lbs not to mention the class IV hitch has a max tongue weight of 1,000 to 1,200 lbs (Something like that) I decided that I wasn't going to risk dropping the scoot or monkeying something up on the truck (not to mention the $$$ they want for those dumb things)...

Anyways - Back to the topic :happy34:

oooohhhh Nooooooooo Don !!! Never ever break down when there is a camara around...... That was just because you had that 1st Gen battery in the beast, and it couldn`t handle it...right??? I got your back Don...

Brad, you mean this one????? :rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

Sorry Don, Brad provided the opening to post them again................. :stickpoke::duck::canada:

Well....first of all...those are NOT the right pictures. That is NOT my bike. :) The ones that Brad are talking about are around here somewhere though. I was not broke down however, just getting ready to move from Texas to Ohio. Just couldn't figure out how to drive two cars and ride the motorcycle at the same time. That Brad is just a trouble maker. :rasberry:

Well....first of all...those are NOT the right pictures. That is NOT my bike.

You thought it had to be about you?????

Those pics were of Gunboat's scoot (Gunboat is also named Don), broken down at the international rally last year, in Ontario. He had to be trailered back to rally HQ & was the only scoot that needed that. Cause of the breakdown, was later determined to be a defective Odessy battery, for his 2nd gen. It took searching about 4 or 5 CDN Tire stores, to find a replacement to get him going again.

But on this same rally, Freebird also got a wet head (by his own doing), by allowing his helmet to fill with rain water........ :stirthepot:

ok brad t & rocket

i think those pictures of my scoot on the trailer WON"T be going away anytime soon.:yikes: thank goodness us men didn't have a WET T contest. :250:but you know you can only get so wet. then the stuff just starts rolling off ya. but i do remember there were a lot of folks :stickpoke: running for cover at the camper. but all in all the scoot ran fine for the 4,000 + miles. would i do it again you betcha.

don c.