IGNORED

Tire Roar

Gamecock

Does anyone have a roar in their rear tire? I've had my 04 RSV for 2 weeks now, only 8K miles so they are the original tires. Maybe it's just me, but I think the roar is a little much for a motorcycle. No complaints at all, it just seems weird to me.

Ben

Hey Ben,

Welcome to the site! A few things I would check would be the tire pressure, Try running at the top end of what is marked on the tire. Next I would get the rear wheel off the ground and spin the wheel and see if I could hear any noise in the drive train like the noise you are hearing while riding. I am not a 2nd Gen. owner but I assume that your bike has the "Brickstones" (Bridgestones) on it. They don't call um' Brickstones for nothin'.

But just to be on the safe side, check out your final drive and drive shaft to make sure you don't have real problems. Oh, and hurry up and wear that rear tire out by RIDING YOUR BIKE! Then put some better quality tires on her.

Stick around, you may have some fun here,:thumbsup2:

Earl

these bikes seem to make noises that are associated with something. sometimes you can fix em, other noises you will live with.

I am very lucky as our RSV only makes normal bike sounds. the road you drive on will affect noise too. since our bike is not problematic with noise, i don't much of a lead for your noise. the search button near the login box will bring up threads where tire noise has been discussed.

wear out those new tires, though & get some better rubber under your scooter.

dale in La

Welcome welcome! Glad to see another youngin' on here. (althought truthfully, I don't think anyone here cares)

This may seem like a dumb question, but it may help isolate and identify the noise you are hearing.

Does the noise change depending on the road surface you are on? (ie. concrete, rough asphalt, smooth asphalt, etc.)

If it does, then it is probably a safe bet that it is, in fact, tire noise.

Also, what kind of tires are on it? (OEM was bridgestone or Dunlop 404s) My experience with the Dunlops (on other bikes) is that they are pretty quiet; but, I have no experience with the bridgestones.

I am currently on my 2nd set of Avon Venoms, and they are nice and quiet.

Hopefully someone that had had the bridgestones will chime in here :)

OH YEA; slightly off topic, make sure you take a real close look at the sidewalls all the way around both tires and also in the tread - looking for any sign of cracking/dry rot. If those bad boys are, in fact, OEM they have been on there for a while with not much use which isn't good on the rubber.

Does anyone have a roar in their rear tire? I've had my 04 RSV for 2 weeks now, only 8K miles so they are the original tires. Maybe it's just me, but I think the roar is a little much for a motorcycle. No complaints at all, it just seems weird to me.

Ben

First of all do a search on the noise for the OEM tires. Now that you have done that.

Go buy a set of Avons, E3 or Commanders. This will fix your noise and better handling.

The noise is very common on OEM tires and telling you to look for replacements now.

When I got my 08, I immediately got rid of the OEM (had an 05), wasn't wasting my time riding on the OEMs.

Well, sounds like ya'll know what you are talking about! The roar starts at about 50 MPH and continues at cruising speeds. With the radio on I can't hear it, but I also like to "hear" the bike to listen to the engine and any possible problems that could arise.

They are infact Bridgestones, and yes I am already looking for a new set. I don't mind spending money on tires, to me they are the most important things on the bike! Not to say I don't trust the ones on it, but I like to know exactly what my tires have been ridden on, and the first 7,000 on these I can't verify.

From what I have read on here the Venom and E3's are the way to go. I'll read more of the forums to get a better idea of everyone elses prospective.

I had a jacked up Chevrolet Truck with 42" tires, I know tire roar all too well, just don't want it on my bike!

Ben

It's good to be "young" and on such a great machine. My dad said it took him 35 years to figure out a touring bike was the way to go. He's got over 65K on his 02 HD Electra Classic! He hates the fact he can't keep up with me!

i have an 07 rstd and before i swapped out my brickstones i notice a progressively worse roaring from the rear tire and more pronounced as i was leaning into turns. avon venoms resolved all tire issues plus made the bike handle like a dream......forever done w/ brickstones!!

Your rear tire is trash. Run your hand around the edge and you'll fell cupping. The OEM's only last about 8k and are done.

I have over 18,000 kilometers on my back tire (that's over 11,000 miles) and it's still looking good.

As for the "roar", mine tend to do that when cornering... but so did my Avon's on my '87 when they got over half worn.

Welcome welcome! Glad to see another youngin' on here. (althought truthfully, I don't think anyone here cares)

This may seem like a dumb question, but it may help isolate and identify the noise you are hearing.

Does the noise change depending on the road surface you are on? (ie. concrete, rough asphalt, smooth asphalt, etc.)

If it does, then it is probably a safe bet that it is, in fact, tire noise.

Also, what kind of tires are on it? (OEM was bridgestone or Dunlop 404s) My experience with the Dunlops (on other bikes) is that they are pretty quiet; but, I have no experience with the bridgestones.

I am currently on my 2nd set of Avon Venoms, and they are nice and quiet.

Hopefully someone that had had the bridgestones will chime in here :)

I CARE!! How long does it take you to get out of bed?? Don't have to plan these major events yet do you??

Makes me madder that he** that you can run up and jump on that Venture the way you can. I could do it from the back when I got my first Venture!!! Thinking about getting me a stepstool next!! Why is youth wasted onthese youngins??

Had to say something Lil'Beaver.

All good advice here. Tires are probally causing most of it. But it is time to check Drive train out to make sure it is in good shape and lubed right. Or you could wait til your hearing gets like mine and it won't bother you at all!!!

I CARE!! How long does it take you to get out of bed?? Don't have to plan these major events yet do you??

Makes me madder that he** that you can run up and jump on that Venture the way you can. I could do it from the back when I got my first Venture!!! Thinking about getting me a stepstool next!! Why is youth wasted onthese youngins??

Had to say something Lil'Beaver.

:bawling: :fiddle: )

Don't worry, we'll get there some day too... I already have chronic knee problems and cartilage problems with my back but I found out a long time ago that life is too short to waste any time so I am trying to do what I can while I still can. :) I hope that I can be well enough to keep riding for years to come, but I'll take it a day at a time and try not to catch up to you too fast :backinmyday:.

Oh yea, one last thing:

:rasberry:

Just kidding; Can't we just :beer:?

Ben: Sorry for the :hijacked:

IMHO, 5-6 year old tires need to come off even if they only have 100 miles on them. This is a quote from one of the tire companies and almost every one of the others has a similar quote...

“Tires should be replaced after six years, regardless of the remaining tread… Failure to follow this warning can result in sudden tire failure. You could lose control and have an accident resulting in serious injury or death.”

The outside of a tire can look great but they can and do deteriorate from the inside.

(And now, the paragraph that all my Venturerider bud's were waiting for.... :rotf: )

The tires the others recommended (Avons, E3's or Commanders) are great tires but I would be failing in my duty as a Darksider if I didn't mention the BEST rear tire for the Venture... (In my and others opinion) The Kumho Power Star 758 car tire in 165/80R15. For me it gives a better ride, better grip for braking and in the curves, 2-3 times longer tread life, has a 25% higher load rating and cost less than 1/3 of what you will spend on the best M/C tires. Some think the handling feels different (not worse, just different) but to me it feels just like the M/C tire that was on it before. If that interest you at all, spend some time researching it and make your own informed decision.

If you have any questions, just start a new thread in our Darksiders section and we'll be glad to help!

You have cupping on them. Mine still had tread at 8 k but had begun to cup and was loud in the turns so I got the Avons.

I know I have some cupping on the front but I'll have to check the rear (tire) tonight for that. The noise in the turn is not an issue for me; however, I will be replacing both tires this winter. What's strange (to me at least) is that the front has worn a lot more than the rear. Cupping is, among other things, related to improper air pressure. I had been running the rear at 42psi but bumped that to 44 a couple month's ago. The tire howl has been happening since back in the spring when I only had 3 or 4 thousand kilometers on them. It's been getting progressively worse as the km's have been racking up but, as I say, it's not that big of a deal to me.

I had the same issue with my '87 with the Avon and then when I got a nail in it, I replaced it (with another Avon) and the tire howl went away. The one with the nail still had a lot of tread left at the time.

Mine used to roar like an Army truck with Bridgestones when I leaned in the turns. I just thought it was something I'd have to live with. As soon as I changed and put a new E3 on the rear, it was like a new bike. I couldn't wait to get the front one off and get an E3 on there too.

Not only are they quieter, but it handles much better.

I know it is atypical for this to be true, but my local dealer actually has rather good deals on tires. E3s for example go for ~60-80 front, $120 rear.

The venoms are a little more than that (~+10 or so each).

But it may be worth while for you to give your local folks a call, just in case.