IGNORED

2 gen Clutch upgrade

jburrell

Just ordered the upgrade kit from PCW and it seems someone else in the Tomball, Tx area just ordered it too( occording to John at PCW). I would like to assist, if someone wants to give me a holler when they start their upgrade. I would like to see one done before I tackle doing mine. I should be doing mine in about 2 weeks and obviouly was hoping to find someone locally that has done the change and can supervise the change with me since I have never done it. I just want someone over my shoulder on some of the work.

thanks

If you ordered the spring and back friction plate or ordered the upgrade (spring and friction plate) plus new clutch discs (as I did), it is so easy you cannot screw up unless you are a caveman.

You don't need somebody else to show you how to do it. And if you get confused...call John, he will set you straight.

:farmer:

Ok I'll bite. What is the upgrade and what does it do. :mo money:

Annie biting too :confused24::scratchchin::think:

The clutch upgrade on the G2 consists of removing the half friction disc that sits in the very back of the clutch pac and installing a full one. It also has a heavier diaphram spring that puts better pressure in the clutch pac so that it doesn't slip as some tend to do the more miles they get. Pretty much thats it in a nutshell.

The clutch upgrade on the G2 consists of removing the half friction disc that sits in the very back of the clutch pac and installing a full one. It also has a heavier diaphram spring that puts better pressure in the clutch pac so that it doesn't slip as some tend to do the more miles they get. Pretty much thats it in a nutshell.

What he said!

Also, Ponch and Squidley, thanks for the offer. I dont mind doing the work. I may not be as smart as a Caveman so, I always like an out. I have the procedure from this site and the Venturers but have never seen the clutch out. I just want to get it done before we go to Big Bend and make sure I dont have any issued during the 1400 or so miles we will travel.We can get together in a couple of weeks and do this and perhaps we can get some video of it. Once I have done it my self I can start helping others too and add it to next years maintenance day activities.

thanks guys

Oh boy.... Now I gotta wounder if it's slipping or not... I don't think so, but I've never had a G2.

Only thing I have to compare it to is my G1 and thats a bird of a different feather.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone contemplating the clutch upgrade, go for it. It's easy and very beneficial. I didn't think there was any slippage before the kit install, but it feels much stronger now. The only thing I noticed at first was a stronger lever pull and I stalled it a few times at take off. It used to slip easier at take off.

I pushed it real hard pulling a trailer and it seemed much more responsive. So I guess maybe it was slipping a little before the change.

James we can do yours any evening if you want.

Tom, we can even do yours in Alpine. Really it's that easy and fast to do. It takes longer to clean the old gasket off of the engine case and clutch cover than anything else.

Ponch

What is included in the "kit" from PCW? Do I have to get the gasket from the local Yamaha shop or is it included? Other than a torque wrench, appropriate allen keys and something to scrape off the old gasket, is there anything else I need? I don't think I am going to replace all of the friction plates but my 2002 RSMV just started slipping a wee bit a couple of days ago. What is the cost? - kit is not on their website and I thought I would get the "scoop" from here before i called them.

Ross

What is included in the "kit" from PCW? Do I have to get the gasket from the local Yamaha shop or is it included? Other than a torque wrench, appropriate allen keys and something to scrape off the old gasket, is there anything else I need? I don't think I am going to replace all of the friction plates but my 2002 RSMV just started slipping a wee bit a couple of days ago. What is the cost? - kit is not on their website and I thought I would get the "scoop" from here before i called them.

Ross

Everything is included and it is super easy. Somewhere on this site I have pictures of what you will have left over when you are done (in case your paranoid like me).

Just call John up there and he will know exactly what you need. He supplies gasket and all. You cant deal with a better outfit!

Yup he is top notch and he will walk you through it.

Then you let Squid get his hands dirty. Seemed like he wanted to do it more than I did :Laugh:

Brad

I went on and ordered the PCW kit for my 2009. It was very easily installed and everything needed was in the kit. If you put the bike on the side stand and then put a floor jack underneath the bike to raise it up some you want even lose any motor oil. Kit was 80.00 bucks or so if I remember right.Give them a call at 518 - 346 - 7203.

HTH