IGNORED

Effect of Two-Up Riding on Tire Mileage

V7Goose

Interesting note from the Continental Tyre site on tire mileage:

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/motorcycle/img/void_uv.gifMileage

A tyre which can achieve high mileage is an asset because a longer lifespan leads to lower costs. The mileage attained by motorcycle tyres and in particular that by the rear wheels of performance bikes cannot be measured in the same way as that of car or truck tyres. Because the motorcyles themselves weigh comparatively less they are able to accelerate faster and during this acceleration the rear tyre slips. This slipping leads to wear on the tyres. A pillion passenger whose weight is mainly placed on the rear tyre helps to prolong the life of the tyre. The rear wheel is pressed onto the road with more force, thereby reducing the amount of slipping. The tyre therefore lasts longer.

Side note: Now that I've got everyone running Avon Venoms, I'm thinking of trying the Continentals! :whistling: I find some of the information on their web site about the TK17 and new Milestone tires interesting. I need to get more information from them - they do not make the stock size for our front tire in the front tire design, but their fitment guide actually specifies to mount a rear tire on the front! First time I have seen this from a manufacturer.

Anyone here run Continentals on their RSV? Which style? Your opinions? Thanx,

Goose

Guest StevieMac
Sure, I just got my Avons last week and now you're switching to Continentals. Grrrrrrrrrr :stirthepot: . If they're cheaper and better I don't want to hear about it. OKAY?

No need to worry, more expensive is always better ;-)

Sure, I just got my Avons last week and now you're switching to Continentals. Grrrrrrrrrr :stirthepot: . If they're cheaper and better I don't want to hear about it. OKAY?

:sign busted:

But hey, look at it this way, the Avons are pretty much proven to be an outstanding tire for us, based on all the positive reports here, so while I'm burning up the roads trying out an unknown (if I do), you are riding on the best!

Actually, I just can't leave well enough alone! :stirthepot: :stirthepot: Always trying to keep one step ahead of the masses. :rotf: :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Goose, as long as I can live in my fantasy land for at least six months (believing I got the best tires money can buy) I'll be happy!:cool10:

Seriously though, I appreciate all you've done to enlighten me on tires. If you don't find anything better in the next 15000 miles or so, will be just fine.:confused24:

:sign busted:

But hey, look at it this way, the Avons are pretty much proven to be an outstanding tire for us, based on all the positive reports here, so while I'm burning up the roads trying out an unknown (if I do), you are riding on the best!

Actually, I just can't leave well enough alone! :stirthepot: :stirthepot: Always trying to keep one step ahead of the masses. :rotf: :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

goose your a turn coat.:rasberry: .let us know the results .always room for new tech.bill :rotf: :rotf: :rotfl: :rotfl: :cool10:

I seriously doubt I am going to try the Contis, but ya never know. I'm not likin the idea of having to mount a rear tire in the front, even if they recommend it. I'm sure they design the front tread patterns differently for a reason! They do have a 130/90-16 in a front tire, and that is what I would want to use anyway. Problem there is that the load rating of their front tire is only 67, and our stock specification is for a 71 (the Avon Venom MT90 is 74 if I remember correctly). So it just seems that Continental doesn't want my business. :no-no-no:

I'm still intrigued with their Milestone tires, and I've given some thought to running that as the rear with an Avon front just to see what kind of mileage I can get. But I probably won't. I'll let y'all know if I decide to try it. Won't be for a few months anyway. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I've tried the Avon Venoms, than the Metzler 880's, and now I'm trying the Continental Milestones on the rear wheel of my Triumph. The Metzlers gave me better milage than the Avons, but I want better. The guys at the shop here in Tehachapi tell me they are getting that with the Continentals. I have never gotten 15000 miles on a tire, if I did I would be one happy boy!!!

I had avon venom tires put on at the yamaha shop, i put about 500 miles on the bike and did not like the way the bike handled at any speed. Then i found out that i had two rear tires.Went back to yamaha shop, put a front tire on now i like the way the bike handles, i have no idea what the difference is, but there is a big one.

When I first got my 1987 VR in 87 My next set of tires were Continentals...... I dont remember which model they were but I remember getting a letter from Continental Marketing and a tire gauge. The letter stated if I didnt get at least 15,000 miles out them They would gladly replace the rear free of charge. I got 19,000 miles... I was impressed

I guess they dont offer this anymore

Guest Brianwgn

Just received my new AVONS in the mail. Oh well, I put about 2000 miles a month on my bike, so in about 6 months I will need new tires anyway.

:no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no: :no-no-no:

Brianwgn

I KNEW there was a reason for me being fat. I get better tire mileage and the tire sticks to the road better.

Thanks Goose,

Jerry

Hey Jerry, the ad said if your passenger was "heavy" you'd get better mileage. Hmmmm. Yeah, Like I'm gonna share that bit of info with my wifey when I tell her why I want the new expensive tires!!:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Hey Jerry, the ad said if your passenger was "heavy" you'd get better mileage. Hmmmm. Yeah, Like I'm gonna share that bit of info with my wifey when I tell her why I want the new expensive tires!!:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Jim,

I am like you, no way am I sharing that info with the CFO.

:cool10: :cool10: :cool10:

Jerry

As a general rule of thumb, I have gotten the best milage from Dunlops.

I presently have a continental installed, about 8K on it, and it looks like it will not last as long as the previous Dunlops. ( but no complaints as to handling for the present continental i have installed )

I have never used Avons. So cannot comment on them.