IGNORED

thanks to those in chat last night........................

painterman67

I would like to send out a thanks to those in chat last night. Just to let out the deamons that have been keeping me off the bike helped tremendasly. Came home today actually wanting to ride. I thought about it and you guys were wright ,I was going out tense and dwelling on the past expecting it to happen again.

To those of you who dont know what I talking about, I have been reluctant to ride as of lately. Wrecked a bike at highway speed 20 years ago and this is the first time back on since then. It seemed everytime I got on the old girl I couldnt get back off quick enough. The only way I could get comfortable was to force myself to ride for an hr or more. Yesterday refused to ride with the wife . Didn't tell her till she got home that the reason I didn't ride was because I had a bad felling that if I got on my VR I wouldnt come home alive. The old deamon in that wreck is still kicking in.

Again many thanks to those who let me talk and to those who read this for letting me air out this prob. It is a large barrier fro me as I really do love this bike .

David

Fighting those Ghosts will take forever. I was just getting to where I could ride and relax after the first accident when that nut crossed lanes and hit me headon. Had nothing to do with the bike but it got me more than the bike wreck did and brought all the spooks back trippled. I love riding too much to quit. I have taken rides that I had to pull over and collect my nerves before I could go on. It will take time. Don't push it. It will come. At times now I feel as I used to. And it is GREAT!!

I know how you feel. June 13th I got rear ended at a stop by a texting kid doing 60+ mph. He threw my 320 lb rag doll body 130 some feet. I was doing everything right, full on defensive driving, and then I see sky, ground, bike sliding, blue car with tires screeching, and feel the bones break. I totaled that car, and spent about a month in the hospital and rehab centers. I have yet to return to work, although I am walking again now, and getting around better. Beginning of the the month the doc said I could do what I felt comfortable with as long as it didn't hurt. Well, while I was down, bunch of the guys at XS11.com rebuilt my 81SH, and she had never looked better. When, well actually a few times before :confused24:, my wife released me to, I got back on the horse I fell from. The first ride was more about nerves than anything. I was compulsively checking the mirrors, and kept hearing screeching tires behind me. No joke. It took quite a while to settle down after that first ride. The other day I had to go to Wichita to help a buddy with his truck and another buddy with his XS, and decided to take the scoot. I messed around too long and it got dark. Night on highway 96, where 80mph is the slow lane was quite daunting, to say the least. The more I ride though, the more confidence I get. I also am MUCH more aware of what is going on around me.

The memory of the pain will never go away, but I hope to not let it rule my life.

without getting into a lot of details I too looked at every car like it was out to get me, But I soon got feeling comfortable in the saddle again and feel I have become a better and more alert rider because of it. Beside's short of sucide you don't get too decide how you leave this world but to a certian extent you do get to decide how you want to enjoy what it has to offer.

I can absolutely relate to you David, the 1st few times I got back on after our accident I was very nervous. The 1st Highway run left me exhausted as I was so tense that it fatigued me after about 30 minutes. I still think about while I'm riding, but I'll be damned if I'm going to give up the only thing I love to do. Keep kicking those demons in the arse, you'll come through.