IGNORED

Here's a "tapping" question for RSTD

Everything seems to be running fine on my 97 RSTD, however I recently installed a windshield, which allows me to hear the engine noise much better.

When I reach 3rd gear, I hear an "intermitant tapping" sound. It doesn't occur in any other gear and is not a bang or a grind, but can be best described as if I had hung a very small pebble by a long string and let it bounce underneath, occasionally tapping against the bike. It is a very mild sound, and sometimes can even be heard if I pull the clutch in at that gear.... I am wondering what it could be?

Any thoughts

Edited by 97Hawg
spelling

This will no doubt sound dumb but you should always check everything. My 2001 Honda 750 Shadow had a tapping sound at certain speeds it seemed like it was coming from the left side, but I couldn't be sure. I even rode along with some of my friends and they could hear it. It took alot more time than it should have but we finally found the problem. The Key fob was metal and it was hitting the frame of the bike at certain speeds because of the wind. On the 750 Shadow the ignition is on the left side and low.

:rudolf:

Sometimes I do the simplest of things with the greatest of difficulty

I have had brake lines start to vibrate at certain RPMs and cause noise and the keys are another good example, if you just installed a windshield, then look for items that are making contact with the plastic. If this were a First Gen. I'd say put it on the center stand, run it thru the gears, give it some gas in each gear and the move around the bike and listen for the noise. I have found more than one noise, rattle, clank, vibration and used a zip tie to solve the problem. If you find the noise is in fact coming from "inside the engine", then you could be looking at the removal of a cover or two but I would definitely take the time to eliminate the external noises before I went ripping into the side of the engine. I have had to put a few bikes back together after a "Tweaker" ripped into the side of their engine only to find out it was the kickstand or fender vibrating.

Good luck,

Earl

This bike doesn't have a center stand... I'm getting set to take it back out and narow down the noise.

So help me, if it turns out to be the keys........... Well, I don't even dare think about how I'll feel. :>)

It took me 2 weeks to realize the new noise in my scoot was actually the new fancy hard plastic key chain I had bought up at Crater lake last summer. :whistling::whistling::think:

Brian

Oh man..... My wife is never gonna let me live this one down.

You called it correctly........ IT WAS THE KEYS!

On one hand, I am extremely thankful for this forum... On the other hand, I hate feeling this stupid (but it sure does put a big smile on my face when thinking about it).

THANK YOU for the insights.

Robert

Oh man..... My wife is never gonna let me live this one down.

You called it correctly........ IT WAS THE KEYS!

On one hand, I am extremely thankful for this forum... On the other hand, I hate feeling this stupid (but it sure does put a big smile on my face when thinking about it).

THANK YOU for the insights.

Robert

Don't feel stupid...good grief ya figured it out! Stupid would be $500 worth of diagnostics at the dealership. As for the wife...well your on your own, my girlfriend still gives me grief about it. Any noise, and I am talking ANY noise I hear now in the house, car, motorcycle, etc she will say "Check the keys"

:rudolf: