IGNORED

2001 or 1999

gibvel

Guy says his paperwork and registration say this bike is a 2001. Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't this a 1999 color scheme?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Yamaha-Royal-Venture-1300cc-Nice-touring-bike_W0QQitemZ180403323679QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item2a00e0431f&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

The colors and position of the colors on the tank and trunk (light on bottom, Dark on top) seem to say 1999

That looks exactly like the 2 '99's I have owned, wonder if anyone has called it to his attention?

Nevermind, I just saw the responce about the color. Me thinks that if it is titled as a 2001 I would definitely stay away from it as I would be concerned about the VIN #'s matching

Edited by Squidley

I was the one that questioned him on it.

Thing is, with a little research, on some yamaha VIN decode sites, the VIN actually says that it's an 01. His Vin has a 1 in the 10th place (year) as opposed to mine having an X. The letters run through Y being 2000 and then the numbers start for the year. But I put it in this decoder and it throws up an error where mine comes right up as what it is.

This may be reason enough to stay away, not that I was looking for another 99. :Bunny:

Well, you all can ask more questions, I've had mine. :Bunny: I'd probably just piss him off if I asked anymore of the questions I have in my mind. Hate to see someone get something they didn't expect.

I'd like to ask him if he's ever checked his paperwork VIN with the VIN on the bike. It's clearly NOT an 01 and, somewhere along the line something got crossed.

The first time he had it on ebay (a couple weeks ago) I asked him the same question. Told him that the colors were from a 99 and that the 2001 model had pillow top seats. The bike in the pic has the standard seat from 99. I got the same answer, his title shows 2001, and he claims that the seat IS a pillow top. OK, maybe my eyes are bad.

Joe

Ask him to post a photo of the sticker on the frame that lists the VIN and Model year.....

It could be a salvage bike.

It could be a salvage bike that is not registered as a salvage bike.

Is there a forum member that lives in the Tidewater region of VA that can go take a look at the bike? I am unavailable this weekend to run down....sorry.

I would be VERY leary, I am a cop down in FLorida and just wrote a report for a guy that bought a car on ebay...turns out it was a scam, they changed a few small things in the add and copied it from the auto trader site. Luckily he just lost $500...just my 2 cents worth....

Artie

:cop:

So I asked him:

"Nice lookin' bike! 2 questions for you.

1) Are you the original owner? If not, do you know any of the history of the bike?

2) From the research I have been doing about these bikes it is my understanding that the 2001 were supposed to have the pillow-top seats; do you have the original seats still?

Thanks a lot"

His answer:

"Hi, I am not the origional owner, I purchased this bike used from the dealership about 2 years ago. I have the pillow top seats back on it now.

It is in very good condition. Thanks, Casey"

(Copied and pasted)

I would be interested to see if he would actually agree to someone coming to take a look at it...

Ask him to post a photo of the sticker on the frame that lists the VIN and Model year.....

It could be a salvage bike.

It could be a salvage bike that is not registered as a salvage bike.

Is there a forum member that lives in the Tidewater region of VA that can go take a look at the bike? I am unavailable this weekend to run down....sorry.

If it were a salvage bike that would be an awful lot of stuff they transferred from a 99 to a 2001. Basically all of the exterior stuff sans the drive train and frame.

So I asked him:

"Nice lookin' bike! 2 questions for you.

1) Are you the original owner? If not, do you know any of the history of the bike?

2) From the research I have been doing about these bikes it is my understanding that the 2001 were supposed to have the pillow-top seats; do you have the original seats still?

Thanks a lot"

His answer:

"Hi, I am not the origional owner, I purchased this bike used from the dealership about 2 years ago. I have the pillow top seats back on it now.

It is in very good condition. Thanks, Casey"

(Copied and pasted)

I would be interested to see if he would actually agree to someone coming to take a look at it...

But according to Freezy, he thinks that the original 99 seats, that are in the photo, ARE pillow top.

If it were a salvage bike that would be an awful lot of stuff they transferred from a 99 to a 2001. Basically all of the exterior stuff sans the drive train and frame.

Thinking about this they'd need to transfer the trunk, saddlebags, seat(s), fairing, and someone mentioned something about the anteenae... If some chop-shop got a good deal on a salvaged bike from auction, switching the body-parts really wouldn't be that difficult and could have been worth-while... If someone else doesn't ask about the vin plate I'll ask him in a little while... :stirthepot:

I was the one that questioned him on it.

Thing is, with a little research, on some yamaha VIN decode sites, the VIN actually says that it's an 01. His Vin has a 1 in the 10th place (year) as opposed to mine having an X. The letters run through Y being 2000 and then the numbers start for the year. But I put it in this decoder and it throws up an error where mine comes right up as what it is.

This may be reason enough to stay away, not that I was looking for another 99. :Bunny:

BTW the VIN off of my bike throws up an error in that decoder too...

But the VIN he claims is only different from mine in 2 places. The last 3 digits on his are "397" where mine are "400" and his 5th digit of "f" is different than mine as well.

Yeah, but if the VIN plate is actually from an 01 you'll never know, other than the color of the plastics and the antenna, if it's really a 99 or an 01 with 99 plastics.

And if it is an 01 with new plastics can we assume it was wrecked or salvaged?

Yeah, but if the VIN plate is actually from an 01 you'll never know, other than the color of the plastics and the antenna, if it's really a 99 or an 01 with 99 plastics.

And if it is an 01 with new plastics can we assume it was wrecked or salvaged?

There is a chance that an owner at some point decided that they wanted that particular color scheme so they opted to switch it all out or get it painted... But I would lean towards wrecked/salvaged at some point.

He does list the color as 'green' in the description area

Is there some sort of delay with the questions being posted? I do not see my question posted on his thingy there.

If someone else doesn't ask about the vin plate I'll ask him in a little while... :stirthepot:

I had submitted a question to him about that....no response so far ??

Maybe he's busy and not checked back in order to reply...? Or maybe he's sold it already ?

I had submitted a question to him about that....no response so far ??

Maybe he's busy and not checked back in order to reply...? Or maybe he's sold it already ?

I went ahead and asked him for a picture of it too (about 45 minutes ago). I guess we'll see...

Is it me or is his asking price a bit high for a bike that's almost 10 or 12 yrs old depending on what year it actually is?

Margaret

My opinion....if it's a 99 he's on the high side. If it's an 01 he's about right.

I've seen 92-93 1st Gens in good shape go between 4K-5K.....I think that's high, but if that's what they bring then 7K for a 2001 is about right.

Joe