IGNORED

Putting on New Tires...Should I balance them?

jonsmyth

Some do, some don't. For me, way out in the sticks, it takes a half day ride and and extra 30 bucks for the pair. Since I spent almost 300 on premium rubber, maybe i should. i thank you as i am a nubie dumbxxx.:doh:

Save time and money, get some Dyna Beads. You can do it yourself with them.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Tires%20and%20Wheels&webCatId=8&webTypeId=137&prodFamilyId=23687&stockId=191342

There's one retailer, you can find more if you want to price shop.

Joe

not saying you all are wrong but I'm at least a year old and 7000 miles strong on a rear Metzler. Of course I check the tires meticulasly for tread and pressure. And the reason I say at least 7000 is they were already on the bike with some wear on them. 7000 miles is what Ive put on the bike with all of it being one up and a few times with the trrailer.

There is some debate as most who have had the delaminaytion probs ride mostly 2 up and trailer with a lot of weight. Just something to think on. No disrespect intended to my elders and betters as I still consider myself a newbie to this bike.

David

Some do, some don't. For me, way out in the sticks, it takes a half day ride and and extra 30 bucks for the pair. Since I spent almost 300 on premium rubber, maybe i should. i thank you as i am a nubie dumbxxx.:doh:

YES!, I change my own also but 99.9999999-(you get the idea) per cent of the time I take them to someone and have them balanced. I have on occasion balanced them my self using a spare axle and patience.

Machine balance is the best I believe.

BOO

They are pretty easy to balance yourself. I was at a motorcycle race and watched the Dunlop tech do it some people just clamp a couple of boards to a bench and run a rod through the wheel. Find the heavy spot and put a weight on the other side. I even make my own weights by melting car wheel weights down and pouring it onto a piece of steel that is not quite level. It runs down and makes a strip just about the right thickness and width. Then I use double stick tape to put it on. I have never had one come off. I made a device with four garage door rollers. I bought a rod the exact thickness of the rear axle but then when I did the front I found out they aren't the same size. Now I just use a piece of 1/2" hard copper tubing. If you don't balance them and they are very far out they will wear very uneven.

i always get my tires balanced.

i have read about the balancing beads that Freezyrider mentioned and i will try them on my next set of tires.

i am another member with a Metzeler tire (very low mileage, maybe 3,000) that delaminated, my wife and i on the bike, highway speed, no trailer, and she let go.

if you value your life, please get rid of that rear tire.

not saying you all are wrong but I'm at least a year old and 7000 miles strong on a rear Metzler. Of course I check the tires meticulasly for tread and pressure. And the reason I say at least 7000 is they were already on the bike with some wear on them. 7000 miles is what Ive put on the bike with all of it being one up and a few times with the trrailer.

There is some debate as most who have had the delaminaytion probs ride mostly 2 up and trailer with a lot of weight. Just something to think on. No disrespect intended to my elders and betters as I still consider myself a newbie to this bike.

David

I had two in a row start to separate. At that time I didn't pull a trailer and didn't ride two up very much.

Dyna Beads is the way to go. no problems on my tire and have well over 5,000mi on my Kumho run flat car tire. never did give me any worries or problems:happy34: And you can reuse them when changing tires again, so you save money later on as well.....

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.htm

I bought the standard 3OZ bag for the rear tire, when I go with another tire for the front I'll buy Dyna beads for it.

I would not balance the metzler I would just through it away before it kills you.

WOW Redneck...tell us how you really feel!

My Metzler came apart too...but my wife rides with me, & we pull a heavy trailer.

Avon Venoms from now on. (& they ride much better too!)

Oh...BTT...I do get mine spin-balanced...but this next time I may do it myself.

David

I too have been running Metzlers for about 14 years.... I really liked the ME 88 rear on my Maxim it usually lasted twice as long as the front tires. Too bad that size was of ME 88 was dropped, as I also preffered the tread pattern. I am on my 3rd ME 880 rear on the 83 VR, wore the other 2 out (what I consider wore out & not to a slick with no tread in the centre)......... I am also running dyna beads on this set of tires & liking them.

I have good luck using the axle and putting it between two jack stands, as I also change my own tires. If you are patient, you should be able to get within a 1/4 ounce just playing with the heavy spot. My tires , at least three different brands in 100K + miles, usually end up with about the weight in the same place.

I am not always comfortable with electronic balancers for cars or bikes as after balancing, you should be able loosen the clamp and rotate the wheen 180º on the balancer and it still be balanced. Many times this is not the case. But, electronic balancing on cars is by far the beast way to go.

RandyA