IGNORED

Additional tools to take on the road.

ToolmanRR

Except for the standard TOOLS that come with a RSV 2nd Gen, what are some other tools to take on a long road trip? I'm about to embark upon a 2500 mile trip and want to make sure I consider the lessons of others. Let's create a list for other to use. I'll put all the ideas in a final post after this thread has been up for a while. This is only for NON FOOD AND WATER items. (Rain gear is not a tool )

What else is recommended?

- I'm taking a mini compressor, slime, and tire plug kit.

Guest tx2sturgis

Number one tool I carry, besides the normal metric tools and a tire repair kit, is an LED flashlight. Actually, I carry 2 in case one goes TU. You cant do much in the dark without one!

( well, ok, you cant do much WORK in the dark without one.)

A GOOD set of metric hex key ball drivers... either an all-in-one folder, or a set of loose L-shaped ones in a holder. Dont waste your money on a cheap set...they strip too easily.

Electrical tape.

Zip ties. Assorted lengths.

Small pen sized WD40 tube.

Stubby Cresent Wrench.

6 Inch Long Nose Vise Grips.

A few assorted hose clamps.

Shop rag.

All this fits in a small space.

Very good list from tx2sturgis

I carry all he has on his list but add this

Small Slime Air compressor

little bit (about 2 foot) of #14 wire

Wire nuts

Fuses

Phillips screw driver 2 sizes

Regular screw driver 2 sizes

Just a few open end box end wrenches...8 10 12 14 MM

I don't carry no cheap off brand stuff.

Lot of this stuff will fit under the pad in the tour pack...and under the pads in the bottom of the saddle bags.

I carry much of what was listed, but I actually bought a tool on my last trip: a wrench to fit my highway pegs. After 1500 miles, I was tired of having the pegs move slightly when I wriggled in my seat. I don't carry it when I am on a 300 mile day trip, but it will go in my large travel bag when I am long hauling.

Ask Mother, he will agree, a corkscrew is an absolute "Must Have" on the bike!

A 10mm 1/4" drive socket and ratchet for getting the seat off!!

Yes, a good set of metric ball allen drivers is a must!

Open end wrenches or combination wrenches

screwdrivers, pliers, multi tools

Vice grips for just in case along with a crescent wrench

Electrical tape, duct tape

Knife

Crimping tool and assortment of connectors and wire

and, a good first aid kit!!!!!!!

Buy or Make the thumbnut screws for the front seat and saddlebags so that no tools are required for removing them. Rick Butler sells them in the classifieds or there are several posts from people who have made their own.

I also carry most of the tools listed by others. On my first long trip I tried to take care of several things with the Yamaha kit and found out how useless it was. After this past trip I have to decided to remove it completely from the bike.

This is a good thread, I'm getting some excellent ideas from you guys.

I keep a pair of those mechanics gloves that are heat resistant (got mine at Sears but I seen em cheaper on-line). Saved my hands a couple of times.

:225:

I have recently added a 28mm socket to my list.That is the size needed for the rear axel nut.It is in 3/8 drive as I already carry a 3/8 socket set,Allen keys and combination wrenches as well as #2 phillips,medium flat blade,pliers, knife,fuses,bulbs,Harley tire pump for suspension and tires,tire repair kit,electrical tape, connectors crimp and 3m,test light spare nuts bolts screw etc.All this except the tire pump fits in a 5x5x10 inch tool box in the left bag.Still have factory tools in the right bag but they are next to useless and I never get them out.