IGNORED

Communication

Shamue

So the real question here is: Would they be an interest in Riders monitoring a specific CB channel while riding that would allow riders traveling in different areas of the country to make quick, easy contact? It could be know as the VR channel by members. If there already is a desiginated channel, I appolize for not knowing. I ask because, I love to meet new Riders when I travel and I am planning my 4 week trip East for the month of September and don't want to miss meeting many of the members I have enjoyed on this site.

Just wondering if there is a CB channel the VR riders frequent during travels.

Years ago motorcycles would monitor channel 27 to communicate when traveling in different directions. I don't travel Interstates very often so I stay away from ch.19.

I have tried to raise several motorcycle on channel 27, with no luck, guess ch.27 is old school and not monitored much any more.

Please respond, I hate to miss a good place to eat, stay or just kick the tires with someone new.

During the high school days (that's a while ago), I had a CB in the car. Everyone had their "handle" and went to channel 19 as a call channel. Truckers usually went on 17 back then.

Fast forward to 2009 and it has changed a lot. I still hear a few truckers chatting briefly on 19. I haven't heard of a motorcycle channel before but it wouldn't suprise me if that use to be the case. A local group in SLC uses channel 1 on it's rides, I believe GWRRA uses 39 and I'm pretty sure that VR.org has used 29.

It would be interesting to hear about some of the old handles out there. I was "Indian Wagon". That came from the 1964 Pontiac station wagon I drove. How about others? What was your handle and what was it's origin?

Dave

Back in the 70's when I used to play radio (Navaho TRC30a boosted w/ a D104 even in the car!)KKO1263 for you old-timers)) I went by-here it comes- Dano. Quick and easy, not hard to forget. Had a LOT of fun back then runnin' Ch.23 in Col's. OH. I still hear guys on there shooting skip, especially when we were in Arkansas during the rally.

That's what I needed to hear, Channel 29 it is.

I'll be looking for you all in my travels next month and hope your on channel 29.

I'm not computer literate and don't spell well either,ha!ha! So I won't be posting while on the road, unless I stay in a motel or stop at a libirary. May have the better half send out a few updates and get #'s to call when in differant areas. I do know how to use a cell phone, just don't like to. But, I realise the best places to see and eat are best left up to Venture Riders in the area. And I do like to eat.

Thanks for all the imput, hope to meet you down the road.

I'm tryin to figure out if the charging system on my scoot can handle a small "foot warmer".

I have a Tornado 100 that I would like to use on it. It dead keys at 30 watts and swings to 150 when driven with my GE radio set at 1/4 watt dead key with a 10 watt swing.

I know it won't handle my Texas Star 667... But I can dream:scratchchin:

I guess I should get my head set first, then worry about an amp.:mo money:

I believe Massey, before you posted, it was mentioned 3 times, two times in posts in that was all they said.........

channel 29 is used by most VR members :thumbsup2:

and I'm pretty sure that VR.org has used 29.

Dave

Channel 29 :thumbsup2:

I'm tryin to figure out if the charging system on my scoot can handle a small "foot warmer".

I have a Tornado 100 that I would like to use on it. It dead keys at 30 watts and swings to 150 when driven with my GE radio set at 1/4 watt dead key with a 10 watt swing.

I know it won't handle my Texas Star 667... But I can dream:scratchchin:

I guess I should get my head set first, then worry about an amp.:mo money:

Maybe a mosfet unit but not an old school transistor and certainly not a tube unit

Star Touring seems to use Channel 1, and in my area at least, GWRRA uses 8. I have heard that 1 is the basic biker channel if not specified otherwise, and I guess 29 is for VR.

About CB, it is a great way to communicate. A properly set up unit with squelch tuned right, will go 2-3 miles or more. Much better than a phone and many people can communicate together (one at a time) without getting anywhere near as distracted as with a phone, hands free or otherwise. CB is MUCH safer than a phone. FRS will work, but you have many more channels, and hands free is harder to do. Works great in a car in a specific caravan, but not for cross country to contact someone in the other lane you have just seen.

Doing that on CB is also iffy, but I have done it before, pretty neat.

If everyone has CB, and they keep the chatter to a low roar, it can be a huge amount of fun, and increase safety a huge amount. Letting everyone know of danger quicker than hand signals passed along, although we still use signals just in case someone doesn't have CB.