IGNORED

Again with the oil question

Ok, I've changed the oil in the bike (not the filter) as I will be doing this once again next week when I install the new clutch kit coming in..

The book states that without changing the filter, the bike will take 3.5 litres of oil.. 3.7 litres if you change the filter.. (page 7-15 owners manual)

And just like the last time, I've drained the oil out, removed the filler plug, bike is upright, hot engine, I even go as far as leaning it side to side to get the last of the old oil out and I just put in 3 litres of oil.. and the level is right at the top of the sight glass.. I actually had to drain a tad out to bring it to within specs..

Seems to me I'm not getting a full draining of the old oil out of the bike.. by half a litre.. might not seem like a lot but it's got me wondering where and why it's not emptying out properly... Or is this more of the norm then? Just curious, bike's been performing superb since the new fuel pump, new coils and new switches in PA the other week ;)

Cheers

Actually it should be right at 3.5 liters with the filter changed to bring it center of the sight glass with the bike upright.

The book is wrong on that part. You should not have more than middle of the sight glass in order to prevent the oil from being blown out and making a mess of the back of your engine.

Ok, I've changed the oil in the bike (not the filter) as I will be doing this once again next week when I install the new clutch kit coming in..

The book states that without changing the filter, the bike will take 3.5 litres of oil.. 3.7 litres if you change the filter.. (page 7-15 owners manual)

And just like the last time, I've drained the oil out, removed the filler plug, bike is upright, hot engine, I even go as far as leaning it side to side to get the last of the old oil out and I just put in 3 litres of oil.. and the level is right at the top of the sight glass.. I actually had to drain a tad out to bring it to within specs..

Seems to me I'm not getting a full draining of the old oil out of the bike.. by half a litre.. might not seem like a lot but it's got me wondering where and why it's not emptying out properly... Or is this more of the norm then? Just curious, bike's been performing superb since the new fuel pump, new coils and new switches in PA the other week ;)

Cheers

You don't need to drain the oil when you put in the new clutch kit. I didn't and spilled maybe 2 drops of oil.

You don't need to drain the oil when you put in the new clutch kit. I didn't and spilled maybe 2 drops of oil.

Because of the severity of slippage I plan to change the oil 'anyway' to clean out further junk deposits from the old clutch.. I may switch from Yamahlube 10W40 to AMSOIL 20W50 (synthetics)..

I can say that I feel a difference in the clutch just by having changed the oil but it still slips huge when coming onto the throttle.. Just babying her until the new clutch arrives next week..

With a new oil filter in place I put in exactly 3 quarts and 8 ounces of oil. No problems whatsoever here with overflow.

Boomer.....who dislikes the sightglass method.

Thanks Boomer, I'm seeing now that I need a lot less than specified in the book, hence why I always have a lot left over lol.. I change my oil that often that it'll keep until the next change.

Cheers