IGNORED

Gen 1 vs Gen 2 ???

Hi all.

I sure love my old '83 1st Generation Venture.

what a great bike! runs great, pulls awesome (I do pull a trailer), and handles fantastic!

(I have 3)

I'm considering moving onto something a bit newer, because now that the kids are grown, my wife & I are getting back into cross country trips...like we used to...woohoo!!!!:banana:...and are considering something a bit newer (for many reasons)

I have a guy out here that has a very nice '92 with all the bells and whistles...OK...

but I haven't been able to find much in the search about...

"exactally...what's the difference (other than styling) between the 1st generation Ventures, and the 2nd generation units???"

The engines and running gear are the same....right??

Believe it or not, I can't stand the Harley knock-off look of the new ones...(and I own 2 H-D's)

Do the 2nd generation models handle much differently?? ride?? Weight & balance???

I KNOW there are a number of folks on this board that have ALOT of experience with both of these bikes...what do you guys think??? or can you just point out a link to a thread that will answer this??

(I'd rather learn all this NOW...before I spend a bunch of $$$)

The engine is 100 cc larger, but just as reliable. The second gear issue in the tranny was resolved when the motor went to 1300cc. The saddlebags and trunk are larger but not removable. I'd go for a 92 if the condition and price are right.

When you consider the 92 is still about 17 years old, you are still looking at a pretty old bike.

There are a lot of advantages of going to the 2nd gen for touring, such as the taller highway gears. The 92 still has the same gear ratios your 83 has and for touring, that's a bit low. And, if you get a real new 2nd gen, you can get the latest tape deck that Yamaha has designed and that is hard to beat.

I think a lot of us 1st genners see the 2nd gen as a Harley Wannabe, but I guess in time, and it would take a lot of time for some of us, I guess we would get used to it.

RandyA

I've owned both gens... an '85, an '87, and now an '06 ... IMHO, 1st gens (83-93) are very different in performance and handling to the 2nd gens (99 - 09). The 2nd gen, at least for me, is much more comfortable on long rides. It's not as "sporty" as the 1st gen and as such, I don't ride my '06 as aggressively as I did either of my 1st gens. I also feel that the '06 is not quite as powerful (maybe due to gearing) as the 1st gen and the 83-85 "MKI" models were a bit more sportier and seemed to have a bit mor power than the "MKII" models (86-93).

That's just my opinion.

Having said that, I really love riding my '06 ... much more so than either of my 1st gens. I like it's looks a lot better too although that '89 with only 210 miles on it sure makes me drool LOL

After I got my '87 all repainted and decked out tho, I drooled over it too.. maybe I'm just a "drooler" hahaha

Hi all.

what a great bike! runs great, pulls awesome (I do pull a trailer), and handles fantastic!

(I have 3)

I'm considering moving onto something a bit newer, because now that the kids are grown, my wife & I are getting back into cross country trips...like we used to...woohoo!!!!:banana:...and are considering something a bit newer (for many reasons)

I have a guy out here that has a very nice '92 with all the bells and whistles...OK...

"exactally...what's the difference (other than styling) between the 1st generation Ventures, and the 2nd generation units???"

Believe it or not, I can't stand the Harley knock-off look of the new ones...(and I own 2 H-D's)

Do the 2nd generation models handle much differently?? ride?? Weight & balance???

I KNOW there are a number of folks on this board that have ALOT of experience with both of these bikes...what do you guys think??? or can you just point out a link to a thread that will answer this??

Hmmmmmm......I haven't thought of it before, but as a prior owner of a 1500 Gold Wing, maybe that is why I "can't stand the Gold Wing knock off" looks of the 1st Gen Ventures....

;):whistling::stirthepot:

ok, please listen to what im going to say, i first owned an 84 venture royal, nice bike, no mods, then a 93 vr, nice more luggage room but didnt seem to have any more power than the 84, all 1rst gens are kind of sporty, superbike with bags, some issues. Thought a new bike would be nice, bought a 07 vrs, nice cruser, but less wind, rain potection, especally in the knee area, and but you have to rev it to higher rpms, they made the bike turn less rpms, they went too far in that area, it feels like a neutered rabbit, i didnt like it. Bought a 08 fjr1300, excellent bike, could get you in trouble though, lol, and a little hard on the wrists for long rides. I returned to an 83 plain venture i found with 9000 miles on it, if you like the 1rst gens, please find someone who has a 2nd gen before you purchase it and ride it a little, 2nds aren`t worth the money, i dont know why yamaha didnt build it correctly. I now have that 83, progressive springs, rear shock, a condor fork brace, thanks , aftermarket steering head bearings, ebc brake pads,put a radio on it, with wired remote, wow is what im saying now, and ive got about $2600.00 in it with the bike, mods and repairs. I can`t see me getting rid of it anytime soon, short of winning the lottery and buying a new bmw lt. Heres a couple of pics of the stereo, i took out the vents and got some 5x7 speakers in there, now a nice sound too.

Edited by shouldi
adding something

I too owned both. I like the 99 better as it is more comfortable, and has a better Music Quality even with the tape deck (MP3). It will still get up and go, when you want it too.

Completly different ride from performance, comfort, seat positioning, more room. Realiable and it is newer, little plastic too worry about.

Best of luck with your decisions.

Brad

They're all great bikes and for different reasons. I prefer my 01 for comfort and ride position but the earlier Ventures were great also, I didn't like my feet under me.

I have owned and put a lot of miles on a 1984,1986 and 1989. I did like the bigger bags of the later ones but like someone said I think the 84 was faster.

As far as the ride I couldn't tell any difference in the ride of the 84 compared to the other two.

Good Luck,

BOO

I have never rode a 1st Gen but I bought a 99 RSV in may and I must say after 4000 miles "I LOVE IT" it is so comfortable on a trip. Performance is not lightning (although it is adequate for me) but I didn't buy it to race stoplight to stoplight, if thats what you are looking for buy a different bike (VMAX).:smile5:

Hi all.

(I have 3)

Pat I think you're getting your terminology mixed up a bit. The '92 you are looking at is still a 1stGen. The 2ndGens start with the '99 to present. The '92 is a Ist Gen MarkII, '86-'93. The MarkI's are '83-'85.

That said, about the only major differences between the MkI and II are the bigger bags, and the 1300 engine, and the 4 piston front brakes. Also on the MkII they went to a digital TCI from '90 thru '93.

The MkII is a slightly heavier bike, and the 1300 motor gives a bit more low end performance.. read grunt.. compared to the MkI 1200 that comes on strong in the higher r's. FWIW I think Yamaha did this to improve two up touring, and to handle the heavier payload from the larger bags.

My 2 Cents .

First off...I'd like to thank EVERYBODY for responding to my question thus far.

I will clairify a few things though, which may help answer YOUR questions about what I'm wanting to learn on here.

Yes, I do know that the '92 IS a 1st gen....even though it has a slightly bigger displacement over my '83. The bigger bags are a HUGE plus to me! (sorry...bad pun) The stereo means NOTHING to me, but a good intercom IS important. (we talk ALOT while riding :)

What I'm wanting to find out, is does the 2nd generation ('99 and UP)...ride any better, handle any better, and does it preform any better OVER the 1st generation models ('98 and earlier)???

As I've stated, I don't care for the looks of the 2nd as much, however (and I'm in COMPLETE agreement with Freezy here, as I'm also a previous owner of a 1500 Wing) that the 1st gen stole it's basic looks from an early Wing. I just can't stand having something that sidewalk dummies THINK is a H-D, when it definately is NOT!! But (oddly enough)...cosmetics mean NOTHING to me over rider comfort, handling...etc.

MONEY$$$$ is a BIG issue with me!!! I'm still a working stiff, and do not have the bread to shell out for something newish at all! I have several bikes, but everything I own is a Rat (as pointed out on another thread).

I want and need something that I can comfortably pull a good size trailer with, and can ride me and my wife comfortably on 600-800 mile days. I'm a pretty good size cat, so leg room is mucho importante' for me.

And I love the sportbike handling that my '83 has also, as we have the funnest riding roads out here!

I did have a beautiful 1500 Wing last year (for 2 1/2 months!). It was smooth, stable, reliable, super quiet...and BORING as hell!!!!

But it did not handle anything like the Venture, plus the V was more comfortable for us. so, bye-bye Wingy!

OK...thanx again for your feedback...it means alot to me.

Now...get off the internet...and go RIDING!!!! :7_2_104[1]:

Ride better? Yes!!

Handle better?? H3LL NO!!! Too top heavy, no anti dive, need 40 acres to turn the rig around...

Perform better? My '84 has a whole lot more get up and go than my '09

My '09 is a lot more comfortable to ride, but here's some of the other downsides. No tach, no gear indicator, still uses a cassette deck, handlebars area little flimsy and have "give" to them. I'm keeping the '09 and triking it but am also keeping the '84...

I have had 4 1st Gens and don't foresee going to a 2nd Gen just because of the performance and also I don't care for the Harley look alike. I have been told that the 1st Gen handles wind better, which we all know we find on long trips, and I have always felt it handled better because of the aerodynamics of the fairing. I guess I am a little bit prejudiced because I own the 1st Gen and it's PAID FOR, and cannot afford a newer model. If any mods are made to my stable, it will be a trike conversion when I get old enough for a wheelchair and can't keep it up at stoplights!!! Until then, I have a bullet proof engine and tranny, adequate space, good sound and communications and plan to enjoy it right into the sunset.

Good luck on your choice. If you find a good late 80s or early 90s, go for it. You won't be sorry!

POLEDAR:680::Cool_cool36::bowdown:

Couple more pros/cons...

Brakes are NOT linked. You have to decide if that is good or bad, but when I locked up the back brakes thinking they were linked, my rear tire slid out. I'm now considering linking them but will wait until the trike job is done.

There are tons of really nice aftermarket items available for the 2nd gen as opposed to absolutely nothing for the 1st gen.

Fixed vs moving fairing. A lot can be said for either, but that is the one thing that took a while to get used to. I don't like the fact that on a moving fairing your rear view mirrors move as well. This caused me to drop my '09 at the international because I did not see a car passing me as I was about to make a u turn until I was already starting my turn and loked to my side, turned back to the right and stopped on a crowned road with the front tire pointing towards the right and applying the front brake while putting my feet down. Had the fairing been stationary I would have seen the car passing me and would have most likely avoided the incident.

Bottom line, if you can borrow a 2nd gen to ride it first, indeed do so before going any further. Of the 2 I like my 1st gen a lot better but do not regret buying the 2nd gen either...

I love the looks of the 2nd gens but the reasons I have not moved from my 1st gen so far are;

I prefer pegs over floorboards

I prefer the frame-mounted fairing

No center stand

Things that irritate me about my 1st gen;

I can't stop the oil leak from the stator wires

The brakes could be more powerful

It wallows a bit in high-speed corners

The forks were weak until I switched to progressive springs

When I decided to buy a newer bike, I bought a GL1800 because I realized it has everything I like about the 1st gen and more of it in spades;

Power (up the ying-yang)

Reliability

Brakes (awesome)

Comfort for two

Luggage

Weather protection

Pegs

Center stand

After-market goodies (up the ying-yang)

I kept both bikes and ride them both. I shop for a second gen to replace my 1st gen all the time, but don't know if I'll ever be able to actually part with my '91.

But, the GL1800's are really expensive, even used. Awesome bike though.

More Imput....awesome!!!

Once again...I am NOT a Gold Wing guy. I had one, and I have ALOT of friends that have them (all types too...15's, 18's, trikes)...and as I was saying I think they have not only a boring ride, but I think they're uncomfortable...especially the 18's! There's no room to stretch out. Your legs are confined to one spot, (I'd probably not care for a Beemer for the same reason). And sure you can put Markland highway pegs on 'em, but I find those uncomfortable too. (had 'em on mine)

As to the linked brakes thing...I HATE those too. (I've disconnected them on my Venture, and made mine a true dual-disk front, and a foot powered rear.)...and this I like.

But thanx again for all your answers!!

I was looking for a first gen when I saw my 02 midnight. I went from a high performance but very comfortable 85 Madura ( similar to V max ) to the 02. When we rode up to Nelson I decided I did not want to stop before Nova Scotia. It just felt that good. It is a bit top heavy but that is only in the parking lot. Get it moving and that dissapears. I would like more power and less weight but the weight helps keep it planted on the long hauls. I would like full instrumentation. That is the thing that bothers me most about the bike. You do have to rev it to get the full benefit of the engine which I don't mind.

My two cents if yer still interested,

I have ridden an 99 VR but own an 86 Venture plain up.

The 99 I tried a few years ago when my ride was an 84 XJ1100. I fell in love with it as a change from the XJ. It had floorboards/heel-toe shifter (which I thought was kinda neat at the time), CB, cruise, etc. and felt quite a bit different from the XJ.

I had wanted a Venture for a number of years and last year we moved, making a few bucks on the old house so I was able to look for a new ride. As I went looking I also found this site and did some reading about the history of these bikes. In my opinion the 1st gen mkII was the way to go....things that sold me

- I liked the idea of having a fairing mounted to the frame and not the forks

- I wanted the larger trunk area, 1300 cc's vs 1200 and no potential problems with the tranny

I could have purchased a Wing but 1800cc's seemed a little much for me besides the fact that folks who have owned Wings and Ventures preferred the Venture for power.

So why not the 2nd gen - the fairing was a big dislike (frame mounted) - it appears to me that the 2nd gen is simply a baggage laiden cruser as opposed to a "touring" bike - the cost was considerably less (I too am still a working stiff) - I prefer a plain Venture (less OEM to go wrong so to speak (class error codes antique CB, cassette deck, etc)) and I can put in what I want to.

Bottom line - I wouldn't trade my "couch" for anything but another "couch" (1st Gen mk II)

It's just an opinion but my next bike after the 83 venture 1st gen will be a FJR1300. I love the looks of the 1st gen and nothing out there is close to it other than the sport touring bikes.

The retro cruisers are pretty to look at and I am sure are a great ride, but they are not for me.

I got to sit on an FJR1300 with a long distance Corbin seat a big trunk pegs were moved and custom handlebar risers and repositioned. I sat like I do on my Venture. It was quite comfortable. He had a larger windshield that blocks a lot of wind.

Just an idea. and they are dirt cheap new. My local Yama Dealer has a new 2009 in stock they are trying to sell for $10900.00

The FJR 1300 is another bike I definately have considered. I like them alot!

Still a bit out of my $$$ :(

I really appreciate all the answers I've gotten on this...you guys are great!!

I'm definately gonna have a look at the '92 this next weekend. And yes, I do like the larger bags, the towing capacity, and the bigger engine (without the tranny worries).

I too feel like the 2nd gens are to 'cruiserish' (for lac of a better term).

I want something thats comfortable to tour on, but yet is nimble enough to buzz around all the back roads we have out here. You can get lost for days on end, and not even leave the county. We've got the ocean on one side, and the mountains on the other...and lots of valleys in between.

Ride on dudes!!!!!