IGNORED

6 hours at a Honda Shop

Magnawake

I'll try to make this short, but allot happened in 6 hours at Columbia Power Sports Honda. My Dunlop 404 went bald two weeks ago after a long ride on the BRP. I was behind the eight ball and needed a tire installed yesterday. The Honda shop has free tire installation on Weds in Aug. Settled on the Elite III, they had one in stock. Showed up and waited a while before getting RSV on lift. New tire installed. The shop manager looks at the tire and tells me they accidently installed a 404. WHAT? My 404 didnt last long enough, I wanta Elite III. No problem. Bike goes back on lift. 404 comes off and I notice the guy struggling with the E III. Manager tells me the E III was shipped with packaging holding the side walls pinched together. They normally need to set them in the sun to soften them up before mounting. Another thing, it is a 80, not a 90, which hurts mounting also. They tried every trick in the book. Two hours later and a 2 mad Mechs, they gave up. OK, put a Vemon on. We only have that 404. OH Brother !!! No other options so they put the 404 back on rim. Set me back &132.00 OTD. I will say this. The Honda dealer has a very friendly staff and I even drove a simulator (cool). As last thread stated, talked to a SC HP biker and other salesmen. They only had good things to say about the RSV. So that was my day at the Honda shop. Next time Sleeperhawk and dave will have the honor. The good news, I'm headin for Vogel this morning. YEEEE- HAAAA

I normally mount my own tires and have the independent shop balance them, if I don't balance them spinning on axle. I recently put the new Elite III on the front and that is the hardest tire I have ever installed. It was very difficult getting on the rim and to pop. This is one I was telling myself that I should have taken it to the shop. It cost $102 to my door.

RandyA

Earlier this year I pulled both front and rear 404's off with only 5400 miles...still a lot of life left in them to replace them both with the E lll's. The dealer said it would only take a about 30 minutes to get it done. I carried both wheels and new tires to him instead of the whole bike. I got the tires from SW moto. We went to the mall for about 3 hours...came back and they were still not finished. We waited another hour. They were very appoligetic and said they never have this much trouble getting a tire on the wheel. Said they were so thick they could barely get them on the wheels. He said he should charge me more since it took 4 guys in the shop to finally get them mounted and since he already quoted he would let me go with the orginal price. Next time he is gonna ask what kind of tire before he gives a price.

I just hope I get very good service out of the E3's. I know they do wonders for the handling of the bike. Over 4000 miles so far and can't tell they have been down the road at all.

Jut an FYI - getting an e3 to seat on a 2nd gen wheel is not a typical problem for that tire. I have mounted three so far,a nd all have beaded up easier than most tires for me. A lot of it really does have to do with the tire being shipped with a tie strap pinching the beads together - that fouls up any tire!

Goose

I've mounted all my own tires and if you are not in a rush to mount them the best way to make them mount easily is to open them up for a few days by standing 3 or 4 pop,beer or any beverage can between the beads. So buy a six pack, drink it and put them cans to good use.:D

It's easy, but I have not done it personally: Get a propane torch, run some propane into the tire after it's on the wheel, stand back a little and light the propane, pronto, it's beaded. Better to use less propane than too much, you can always do it the second time if need be if you used too little. If you used too much, you may have more issues.

It's easy, but I have not done it personally: Get a propane torch, run some propane into the tire after it's on the wheel, stand back a little and light the propane, pronto, it's beaded. Better to use less propane than too much, you can always do it the second time if need be if you used too little. If you used too much, you may have more issues.

I saw this done on an off-road vehicle on TV waaaay up in Alaska. They had a flat with no air compressor or something like that and they lit the tire off and BOOM!!! The tire jumped off the ground and was seated!!!

Pretty cool, but I would sure be hesitant to do it.

craigr

:yikes:

When I was in HS, I worked in a garage pumping gas and doing tires. If we had a really stubern one we would use ether, again better to use too little than too much. Watched a coworker get hurt when the sidewall blew out. Ratchet straps work well.

Also to try, Get the tire on the rim then place on a buckt so that one bead is setting on the lower side of the rim. Use strap to start the bead into place. If not able to get enough pressure to seat the bead. Beat (gently) the tire with a hammer, this will create more pressure inside the tire and usually cause it to pop on.

Good luck

Mike