IGNORED

??85 Venture vs 2000 MM Edition Handling ???

I have owned A 85 Venture for 3 yrs and wanted to upgrade to newer one. And on E Bay Saw MM Edition and fell in love .

Fellow drove 2000 miles Texas to NJ with it.

And my first 2 miles thought I went backwards 15 years.

The whining noise and Handling was disappointing to a point if I had not

bought it on E Bay would have told the guy to stick it you know where.

My grilfreind loves bike and the ride and so now need to address the problems with this bike since she is the one that pushed E Bay Purchase now button .

I ordered 36" wide handle bars to see if I can gain more steering control .

The whining I can live with as long as I know it is normal.

But not hearing it on 85 Venture I really thought I bought a lemon

of a bike not knowing it existed on the newer bikes.

?????Has anyone felt the way I do about these newer bikes and what have you done to make bike handle and feel like you have control.

Or am I going to have to sell the bike and go to a Goldwing which I do not like as far as looks go for a motorcycle.

I think Yamaha better wake up if they want to continue in Dresser market.

I would not buy another after what I have experience with this bike.

Have to mention that I bought a new 96 Royal Star and loved bike

until I relized taking balancer out caused me back problems..

I have owned A 85 Venture for 3 yrs and wanted to upgrade to newer one. And on E Bay Saw MM Edition and fell in love .

Fellow drove 2000 miles Texas to NJ with it.

And my first 2 miles thought I went backwards 15 years.

The whining noise and Handling was disappointing to a point if I had not

bought it on E Bay would have told the guy to stick it you know where.

My grilfreind loves bike and the ride and so now need to address the problems with this bike since she is the one that pushed E Bay Purchase now button .

I ordered 36" wide handle bars to see if I can gain more steering control .

The whining I can live with as long as I know it is normal.

But not hearing it on 85 Venture I really thought I bought a lemon

of a bike not knowing it existed on the newer bikes.

?????Has anyone felt the way I do about these newer bikes and what have you done to make bike handle and feel like you have control.

Or am I going to have to sell the bike and go to a Goldwing which I do not like as far as looks go for a motorcycle.

I think Yamaha better wake up if they want to continue in Dresser market.

I would not buy another after what I have experience with this bike.

Have to mention that I bought a new 96 Royal Star and loved bike

until I relized taking balancer out caused me back problems..

Me too. Fell in love that is.

Change out the front tire to the smaller MT90-16. BIG difference in handling. Big. Huge. Mucho bettero. Do it, do it now. Can you tell I'm loving my smaller front tire?

Steering head may be loose. Look in the 2nd Gen Tech folder for how to check/tighten. Will make life better as well.

Changing bars/risers will help your position, but the head and tire will make a world of difference. She's a beast at some 869# wet without your weight. She'll take some getting used to and practice in the parking lot. After you change the tire out, careful! The dynamics have changed and you have to get used to the new ride. But it is worth it.

There is some tranny noise due to the shape of the gears. Makes them stronger but a little nosier. Changing to synthetic has helped some, and changing the clutch basket has helped others. The basket is covered as well in tech, or search I-basket.

What Rich said. Changing the tire might help the whine if some of it is coming from tire cupping. Check the steering head tightness. Leveling links are said to help the handling, but for me the tire made enough difference that I wont go to that bother or expense. No matter what you do this bike will never be as nimble as the 1st gen.

this bike is a full dress cruiser, air in the suspension, different tires, leveling links will all help, but it is still a cruiser. It is not trying to compete with Goldwings and BMW LTs. Personally I tested them all, love them all, but can only afford one, and the RSV is it. After 35 years on sport and sport-touring bikes, I just don't care much about going fast anymore, and the RSV suits me.

What kind of tires does it have? If it has the Bridgestone tires, they are VERY noisy. I would start with getting rid of them if that is what it has.

Agree ! Specially when the tires are worn a bit and get much louder when you lean any from vertical.

As far as the whine goes it seems that mine is worse at certain RPM's so try shifting slightly different and maybe the noise would not be as bad.

Best of luck, hope you get to enjoy your ride.

Brad

I had a 97 royalstar that I bought new and rode until I bought my 03 mdntv. My Venture on it's worst day handled better than my Royalstar. For one thing the RS had a longer rake that made it less nimble at all speeds and corners and curves. To make a long story short i suggest that you try the things the other guys on this thread suggested because there is definitely something wrong if your 96 handled better than your rsv.

I sold my '87 Venture Royale and bought a 2000 RSV in the last month. The RSV is a bit of a pig by comparison. It's top heavy, front end heavy... just heavy. But it cruzes nice! I freeway fly 40 miles each way to work at 80 and it purrs. I had to move my sons '87 Venture and it felt like a toy.

I just played with tire pressure and shock pressure. Made a big difference. Tires are fresh by the previous owner but I can't wait to change out the front.

It's a different bike.

bob

Joe,

I agree with you, what a pig the RSV is. First let me say the bike is great for running down the Interstate, very comfortable. I like the way it looks and of course the engine is bullet proof.

I have been riding my RSV for some 30,000 miles now and I got to tell you I have been looking at the older Ventures to see what is available. I even took a ride on a new BMW, man what a dream that bike is.

After getting back from a 5,000 trip recently and having two close encounters with the braking system, I am ready for something else in a bike. I had a lot of time to think about the good and the bad things on the RSV and although there are more good then bad it still has a lot of bad things.

I forgot to comment on another post, I think that is the first time I've heard the RSV classified as a Cruiser.

Jerry

Joe,

I bought my 06 new when changing from a Vulcan. I have been riding since 69. I found the Venture cumbersome and thought I made a mistake with the purchase. After reading the posts on this website, I tried the method of increasing handling that did not cost cash for parts. I lowered the front end by one inch. My Venture is improved so much that I do not plan to change. It was very noticable immediatly. Slo prking lot mauverability improved and two up contor was much better. In fact the first time I took my wife after the proceedure, I had to look back to make sure she was still there! I will be switching tires soon, but the lowering costs nothing if you do it yourself.

nats