IGNORED

Front pad life....

What is the expected life of front brake pads? I bought my 05 almost two years ago with 5,000 miles. It now has 23,000 on it. I bought a set of pads to put on before heading out to the rally the pads on there seemed almost new. The inner pads seemed to be a little more worn, but none were even halfway yet. Is that normal wear?

Jim

The front normally will wear for a decent amount of miles. If you noticed that one side was a bit thinner than the other you should swap them front to back to even the wear. The back wears badly on the inside and should be swapped inside to out at every or every other oil change.

• 2 weeks later...
I replaced my rear pads at 28,000 miles and the front pads still look very good.

That's INCREDIBLE! Just so we are on the same page, you do know the metal part is not the pad. :stickpoke:

I have been averaging about 8000 miles per rear set.

Front sets are original and have about 24,000 on them and still going strong.

Phoenix

38k and still on the originals both front and back. What's up with that? I guess some of you guys are more into stopping than I am!!! Last I looked at mine they still have a lot of wear on them. I would think the front would wear out faster than the rear in any case. Even though you have twice as much pad on the front.

IMHO

I have 38876 on front and back original pads.

Interesting. Until this thread I believed the rear pads were only good for about 10-15K miles max. So, I guess the posts I'd read previously were the worst extremes in terms of wear, rather than the norm or possible max.

After reading the posts in this thread, I just had to chime in. As a service technician with over 30 years experience, I think my opinions may hold a little water. The miles you get out of your brake pads has nothing to do with how far you travel. It depends on how often and how hard or long you brake. I ride about 7 miles one way to work and use my brakes about 4 times if I hit the lights right. A few weeks ago we traveled 450 miles on the freeway and only used the brakes 10-15 times. Sometimes in the city or in heavy traffic, you may use your brakes 20-30 times or more in a 10 mile ride. Along with that, a lot depends on how hard you brake, how long you are using the brake and if you use the engine compression to slow down before you brake. To me, the miles you get out of your brakes is directly related to how you use them. Just like air filters. If you ride dusty, gravel roads, you need to check and clean your filters more often than riding highway. Neither are mileage sensitive. I love this site and get a lot of info from it, but sometimes I just have to chuckle. Thanks for listening.