IGNORED

Basic engine performance upgrade recomendations

goodwrench1

What 1999 and up Venture performance up grades give the best bang for the buck?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What 1999 and up Venture performance up grades give the best bang for the buck?

• Exuast / air filter / carb jetting modifications
    • Camshaft profile upgrades
    • Big bore over bore and pistons kits
    • Stroker / crankshaft work

Hey, he asked the question. Who are you to say that I wasted my time answering it?

Sometimes people forget that this is a TOURING bike. It's designed to cross multiple state lines in a day, not finish lines.

As such, its a detuned motor, ( think cam profiles). It's meant to last a LONG time, burn slightly less fuel, have good 'rideablity', have a bit less power, and be comfy, stable, and heavy. Fairly low maintenance is also a requirement for good long distance bikes.

These bikes put somewhere around 80 HP to the ground. Thats enough to get the job done, but no, its not gonna win many drag races...although, they will give lots of other heavy bikes a run for their money.

If you want performance, there are LOTS of options. Sport bikes, sport touring bikes, power cruisers, and many other options.

Guest tx2sturgis
Hey, he asked the question. Who are you to say that I wasted my time answering it?

How did you get that from what *I* said?

I have an opinion too, ya know. My opinion is that the Venture is not meant be a high-performance bike...and I said so.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I did not say I was passing cars I said I was being passed! I'm just tooling along breaking in a new low milage engine! I don't like being passed with more than a 10- 15 mph difference at that speed. I'm glad to hear the bike will respond to revs. Trust me I did not buy this bike for that but I don't want to leave a free tip on the table. It did strike me funny that the Yamaha owner's manual said to shift into overdrive at 31 mph! Thats right not kph but 31 mph! Well, the bike looks, runs, rides good and is comfortable. Allright what about windshilds? The reflection off the dash makes me consider a shorter wind screen. I got caught in a downpour in Atlanta and I did not mind the screen then. I was surprised to see that the rain did not run right over but kind of just staid around. I was running about 75 and slowed with the traffic to about 65 in the rain. I did not like traffic and rain but I kept pushin on because down pours in the south end as fast as they start usually.

At an indicated 80 you where probably only going about 73. The speedometers are off on most late model Japanese motorcycles and the faster you go the farther off they are. Both of mine are off about the same amount (checked by radar and by GPS)

They are dead wrong in the manual - my guess is the Japanese to English translators hosed the metric conversions. There is no way this bike will run in 5th gear at 31 Mph. It would just lug something terrible.

I went with the Clearview XX Large Wide Tinted and Vented windshield. It has a different slope than stock and I don't notice any glare off the dash. http://www.clearviewshields.com

I have ridden through many small towns and drop down to 30 then accelerate back to 70 and never take my feet off the hwy pegs.As long as you don't accelerate hard it is fine.

How did you get that from what *I* said?

I have an opinion too, ya know. My opinion is that the Venture is not meant be a high-performance bike...and I said so.

You may be right in your Opnion about the 2Gen isn't meant to be a high Perfomance Bike, but the Topic here is about more Power. Who said Touring Bikes shouldn't have adequate Power to meet modern Standards ?

As the 2Gen is a much detuned Engine, why couldn't one ride a Bike what they like and have more Power ?

If i'd be riding a 2Gen, i sure would have fitted a Vmax Motor a long Time ago. I don't like to ride a underpowered Bike. If i like the Ride otherwise, why should i not get all out of what's hidden and crippled in there at least ?

I was riding my 1Gen with a Buddy on his Vmax not too long ago, i was leading and rode the S--t out of my VR. My Buddy asked afterwards what I've done to the Motor because it's so fast. My Answer was, nothing special is done and i'm feeling way too slow, not adequate in my Terms. He was i awe ...

What i'm saying is, there are sure different Approaches to the Question of Power and how much is enough ... Back in 1984, when the japanese Engineers asked Bob Starr about how much Power should be in the Vmax, he answered "Too much would just about enough". I love his Point of View. I can control Power by the Twist of my Wrist, but i can't control the Lack of Power that Way.

I just bought an 02 Midnight. I questioned the power as well. I understand the Venture likes rpm's, so does the V65. The V65's engine is kinda like the Vmax, Very strong. V65 has a 6 speed trans. V65, I never shift out of overdrive even riding two-up uphill. The venture, I need to shift on the smallest hill. You can tell with the V65, the smallest of throttle inputs, the bike rockets forward. With all the said, the venture is a large heavy, comfortable ride. I'll never expect it to perform like the V65 or Vmax for that matter. Also, I'm not going to hit the rev limiter just to make it go faster. With the Bubs installed, its way too load. I shift into OD on the Venture about 45-50 and slowly accel to 65-70. Its not a rocket, but, its a cadilac on two wheels.