IGNORED

Insurance for a beginnner?

pagenutt

My son got his motorcycle license this weekend, I called my insurance company to put him on. They want to raise the cost 4 X ?? He has clean license ? Told him he

can not drive it, as our state requires it to drive. Can anyone sugest a company (s)?

Thanks!

:happy34:

I have no knowledge of your particular state laws and licensing fees, but here is a different idea you might want to explore instead of adding him to your policy.

Find the cheapest old street legal machine that you can register and put it in his name ($100 or $200 max should do it), then shop the major bike insurance companies like Progressive, Dairyland, Nationwide, Geico, etc. to find the cheapest liability-only policy on that bike. Once he has a legally registered bike with insurance on it, it makes little difference what bike he is riding. He will be legal for liability coverage, and your own insurance will cover your bike for comprehensive. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I'm with Goose, with an addition.

There is a reason the insurance company wants 4X. They know he's much more likely to wreck the scoot. Are you sure you want him making his mistakes on your ride?

I'd spend more than a couple hundred (1000-1500) and get something he can ride with just liability. Best if he comes up with the $$ himself.

Guest seuadr

i had my bike insured last year through nationwide for 8 dollars a month. but i've got an old scoot with 1500 dollars worth of comprehensive and collision on it. i got the state minumums for under and uninsured and such.

i just got my endorsement last summer.

Make sure you get a copy of your policy and put it where you can find it when needed. I didn't and it cost me Big time. I DID NOT sign anything to refuse underinsured or uninsured. When I had my accident they came up with a copy with my initals on it that I had refused underinsured but had uninsured. Couldn't produce orginal!! BULL****!! GOT ME!! One of the reasons I HATE Insurance Companies!!!

Make sure you get a copy of your policy and put it where you can find it when needed. I didn't and it cost me Big time. I DID NOT sign anything to refuse underinsured or uninsured. When I had my accident they came up with a copy with my initals on it that I had refused underinsured but had uninsured. Couldn't produce orginal!! BULL****!! GOT ME!! One of the reasons I HATE Insurance Companies!!!

This is true! Keep your policies. I have never had a problem with insurance companies that was not my fault. I have gotten upset with them, but it was always my fault.

:farmer:

My son got his lic. in 07 and got full coverage for his 05 sportster. cost for the year was 350.00 He was 23 at the time. Has come down every yr. sence.

My daughter got her lic this year and got full coverage on her 02 yam.650. Cost was 375.00 I believe. She is 21 years old.

Both got their ins. from same agent and it is progressive.

It was cheaper for them to get their own ins. than to add to mine.

Guest seuadr
I do not expect people to cheat to make then selves look good but I learning.

unfortunatly, the overall quality of people in the world seems to be deteriorating.

My son is 23 and is living in his own house. About a year ago, he bought a new crotch rocket....Honda CBR600RR????? I don't know how he did it but the dealer let him leave the dealership with the bike financed with the understanding he would soon get insurance. I would imagine if he had gotten a quote on insurance before buying it, he probably wouldn't have bought it and the dealer knew it. When he looked into getting insurance, the premiums were $3500.00/year. He priced shopped and coulodn't find anything cheaper. But keep in mind that this was a young lad on a racing bike looking at full coverage. He had to get rid of the bike because he couldn't afford insurance. My son has never had a wreck and he has never gotten a ticket!! I have full coverage on my 08 RSV and liability on my wifes Virago 1100 and my premiums are $282.00/year through Geico. I was quoted $750.00/year through Allstate for just full coverage on my RSV. I think if you put him on something that you only have to have liability coverage, it will be much more reasonable.

Hey raceman62race,

You didn't call the right person. Some of the dealers in north georgia call me when they have a young driver on a crotch rocket. I usually can get the rate down to $1,200.00 per year. I recently visited a dealer that sends me a lot of business to thank them and the sales manager said no we need to thank you. The insurance cost can make or break a deal and you have saved us many deals.

Has he taken the safety course? That should save him between 5 and 10 percent. Shop around.

My son got his motorcycle license this weekend, I called my insurance company to put him on. They want to raise the cost 4 X ?? He has clean license ? Told him he

can not drive it, as our state requires it to drive. Can anyone sugest a company (s)?

Thanks!

:happy34:

Hey raceman62race,

You didn't call the right person. Some of the dealers in north georgia call me when they have a young driver on a crotch rocket. I usually can get the rate down to $1,200.00 per year. I recently visited a dealer that sends me a lot of business to thank them and the sales manager said no we need to thank you. The insurance cost can make or break a deal and you have saved us many deals.

I'm sort of glad he had to get rid of it. He is like I was when I was in my early 20's.......I had the need for speed.

Thanks a million for all the input!

I found him a little Shadow,600...got a steal on it too!

The owner was scared of it! You should have seen the look on there

face when I showed up on my 2008 Yamaha Venture! "Priceless"

:smile5:

Called a company a got him coverage for a LOT less!

AND he is not allowed on Dad's Bike !

Thanks again ! I knew I could count on you'all for help!

Ride Safe!

:325: