IGNORED

Shorter windshield?

I've got the Clearview Medium with Vent & Tint, but it was just a little too tall still, so I had another 1.5" cut off and now it's great. There is a little more buffeting now (not much), but now I can see over it. I prefer over rather than through. Your first downpour will convince you of that.

Has anyone out there put on the aftermarket 4" shorter by 2.5" wider windshield? How does it compare to the OEM?

Just ordered one myself this last week...its actually 5 inches wider. 2 1/2 on each side.. J Gorom has one on his.... looks good..talked to him last year about it ..he likes his..:fnd_(16):

I've got the Clearview Medium with Vent & Tint, but it was just a little too tall still, so I had another 1.5" cut off and now it's great. There is a little more buffeting now (not much), but now I can see over it. I prefer over rather than through. Your first downpour will convince you of that.

Heck I usually duck behind my windshield during a downpour.

Has anyone out there put on the aftermarket 4" shorter by 2.5" wider windshield? How does it compare to the OEM?

Have both. I love the shorty if I NEVER get on the Highway say over 65mph... (buffetting), other wise OEM or my XXL Clearview if on the HIGHWAY over 65mph. My 2-up partner agrees and if she ain't nobody will be happy (Just Kiddin--- alittle) LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Chromeworks short (13") windshiled and found the buffetting significant above 65mph.

I change between the short, a clearview (stock level) with vent and the stock windshield. I really prefer the CV. My passenger also prefers the CV.

Guest Boomerbiker

I have the YAM oem shorty on the Venture and use it year round. Two reasons - visibility during rainstorms and lack of air flowing to the full faced helmet that I wear at all times.

Ditto on the Show Chrome shortie/fatty. It's 3" shorter (perfect height), and 4" wider. I run with it all the time, get great MPG's, can see in the rain, have no buffeting issues, and get great air flow over the top on my skid lid. I'll never go back to the stock windshield.

:thumbsup2:

I am looking for a bigger windshield so she doesnt get knocked around as much, clear view says 4 to 6 wks who else has any that work on the venture and I can get a vent with it? I know freebird was trying one out but for the life of me I cant remember what it was and I cant find it in search? thanks

Ditto on the Show Chrome shortie/fatty. It's 3" shorter (perfect height), and 4" wider. I run with it all the time, get great MPG's, can see in the rain, have no buffeting issues, and get great air flow over the top on my skid lid. I'll never go back to the stock windshield.

:thumbsup2:

Hey Bobby, Snap just cut my OEM down for me.......LOVE IT!:dancefool:

Hi all I am going to get my stock windshield cut down about 3-4" on my 06 RSV.

Should I cut from the bottom or top?

I have located a company who can cut plexi and lexan, and will get them to make the cut.

Thanks in advance.

T

I hope you are not paying too much for someone to cut it for you. Did mine with some thin painters tape (to mark the cut) and a jig saw with a fine bit. Make sure you put painters tape on the bottom of the jigsaw where it will rub on the w/s so you don't scratch it. then just 3 levels on sand paper (corse to fine) on a jitterbug sander and viola, a cut down windshield. You will have to cut from the top down. Can't cut the bottom where the mounting holes are. We cut mine just to where I am looking over the top of the w/s. No buffeting at all. Good luck!

I hope you are not paying too much for someone to cut it for you. Did mine with some thin painters tape (to mark the cut) and a jig saw with a fine bit. Make sure you put painters tape on the bottom of the jigsaw where it will rub on the w/s so you don't scratch it. then just 3 levels on sand paper (corse to fine) on a jitterbug sander and viola, a cut down windshield. You will have to cut from the top down. Can't cut the bottom where the mounting holes are. We cut mine just to where I am looking over the top of the w/s. No buffeting at all. Good luck!

I cut all my shields down at one time and did my RSV shield the day I got it. Very easy. Smely's instructions above are right however I got a roll of wide painters tape and covered the whole shield, both sides to be sure I had no issues while working in it. To match the factory profile of the shield, I layed heavy paper on the protected shield, traced the top, cut that out and simply lowered the paper to the height I wanted and retraced onto my painters tape. Also, after the three levels of sanding, finish the edge off with a rag wrapped around a finger, VERY lightly dipped in M.E.K. (Metyl Ethyl Ketone) solution which you can get at any home depot/lowes. Wipe it along the edge and you will have a factory looking edge. (do not let it drip on the shield surface as it's very lightly melting the plastic, eliminating the remaining sanding marks etc.)

• 1 year later...