IGNORED

Leadwolf56 needs a little help in Gatlinburg

Midrsv

Kevin (Leadwolf56) just called me from Gatlinburg and he has a broken windshield on his 2nd gen. Do we have any members in the area that may be able to help him out? Anyone in the area have a spare windshield or know of a dealer in the area that may have one?

He doesn't have internet access while there. I have his phone number is 574-612-3837.

Dennis

I've got one but unfortunately, it has two large round holes in it where I removed the vents and put in my newer shield. Plus, I won't be home until tomorrow evening.

I've got one too and it doesn't have holes. I'm just trying to devise a plan to get it to him by Saturday.

Dennis

I have my stock one in good shape. I'm about 3 hours away from him in cleveland ga.. I'm tied up tomorrow and Sat. so I can't get it up to him but if he can come down here we can put it on in my shop. He is welcome to it.

my # is 770-630-0973

Unless another plan works out better, I'm planning to ride down to Lake City, TN from Lexington Sunday morning. Kevin and Sue will ride sans windshield from Gatlinburg to Lake City. We'll fix him up there.

Dennis

Not sure were his windshield broke at.

My guess, is likely along the bottom where the attach screws are.

This means there should be a piece about 2 inches wide that broke off from the rest of the windshield.

If someone close by could add a "splint" using a thin aluminum sheet (even thin plexiglass) that is about 4 to 6 inches wide and then the width of his windshield in length, you can just screw it to his exsisting windshield.

Even if you have to use longer screws to get him home..

You could also make a double split where a piece is placed on both sides of the broken windshield and then drill holes clean through both pieces and 'sandwich" the broken windshield between the two splint pieces..

He has to replace it anyway so it really doesnt matter how you install the splint where the windshield broke. The quick fix is only so he can make it home.

If nothing else, cut the bottom of the broken windshield clean off and re-drill new mounting holes.....basically lowering the height of the windshild...

Unless another plan works out better, I'm planning to ride down to Lake City, TN from Lexington Sunday morning. Kevin and Sue will ride sans windshield from Gatlinburg to Lake City. We'll fix him up there.

Dennis

Dennis,

I'm still available to help if you need it. Just in case.

Dennis,

Any idea of what happened to cause his windshield to break? This isn't another situation like James Ardrey had is it?

Joe

I don't know any details Joe. He just said it was slow speed and he was alone when it happened and everyone is OK. He said the windshield is broken and the fairing is scuffed a bit.

We had a generous offer from Nighthawk to meet up with me tonight to get my windshield and then he would get it to Kevin on Saturday but unfortunately I had previous commitments for tonight and couldn't do my part. So at this time I'm still planning to meet Kevin in Lake City on Sunday morning.

Dennis

Edited by Midrsv

I spoke with Brad this morning and he was able to get his windshield back on and functional even if it is broken. He's going to stop in Lexington on his way home and we'll swap it out for a good windshield.

Thanks to all for the offers of help.

Ya gotta love this site!

Dennis

I spoke with Brad this morning and he was able to get his windshield back on and functional even if it is broken. He's going to stop in Lexington on his way home and we'll swap it out for a good windshield.

Ya gotta love this site!

Dennis

When Kevin and Sue stop in, you might want to remind him of the "fine" for dropping your bike!

I think if there is damage when you drop it, the fine doubles!!:D:D

When Kevin and Sue stop in, you might want to remind him of the "fine" for dropping your bike!

I don't know if I want to pour salt in that wound. I may leave that to you.

Dennis

Ya gotta love this site!

How did he reinstall it to be functional...?

Wondering minds want to know just in case it happens to anyone else.. :whistling:

We've managed to get online. thanks to all for their help and concern. I appreciate it very much.

No, my windshield did not blow off. I dropped the bike and it hit just right and broke the shield. When we took it apart we found that one of the bolts was missing so the other round hole wasn't broken. We took the bolt from the broken side and used it along with 3 slots that were intact, so far it's holding fine. The bike has some cosmetic damage but nothing serious or unfixable.

Yes, this is a great site with some awesome people.

Again, thank you all very much.

Thats what he gets for not stopping by and saying Hi when he camee thru Indy!

We fixed that this morning and thanks again for breakfast. It was good to spend some time with you and Rose.

We just got home a few minutes ago. Spent last night in Batesville IN after riding from Gatlinburg TN. Stopped in Lexington KY for a couple hours and got to see Midrsv for a little bit.

Mariner Fan and Freezyrider, sorry we didn't stop to see you guys but we were ready to get home. We'll catch you sometime real soon.

The windshield stayed on with no problem, maybe with some epoxy it will be one whole piece again. Gatlinburg was a great time even though we didn't get to do all we had wanted due to circumstances. I'll get some pics up later tonite or tomorrow.

Yah, I'll be making a donation. Maybe that'll help me to not do something dumb.