IGNORED

1985 Venture

diggerc

Hello there Iam a new member here from Ontario Canada.Iam going tomorow night to look at a 1985 Venture 1300cc,it looks by the pics the guy sent me to be in beautiful shape with around 65,000miles on it.Just wondering if the rear suspention can be lowered a little?I ride a 2004 Suzuki Intruder L.C.1500cc now .And I had a 1985 1300cc 6cylinder Kawasaki Voyager a few years ago,but the seat I think on the Venture is around 31.2 inches.And it would be nice to get it down to 29.2 maybe .Is this a problem? are there any things I should be looking out for ?.I know the second gear has been changed,plus a new alternator the owner tells me! Thanks Stan

not sure if it can be done but I'll keep an eye on this post because I would love to lower mine to. You caould always try to let some air out of the rear shock. From high to low presure on mine is about an 1 1/2 - 2 inches difference.

David

Oh yeah welcome to the site,

Edited by painterman67
for got to say welcome

When you get the bike you can try lowering the air down to about med in the rear. You can also probably try a different seat. As far as I know there isn't much else you can do to lower the rear of the bike. But maybe one of the guys will know of something else.

Oh when you get the bike we need pics. If you need help posting a pic just ask.

Margaret

Several years ago I picked up a Corbin seat off ebay that needed a little work. I took the cover off and scooped out about 1 1/2 inches of foam on the driver seat and it not only lowered it, but it made it real comfortable for me. You could probably do that to the stock seat also. It is not a big deal to take the cover off, just a bit of work.

And, welcome aboard!!!

RandyA

on my 2004, the previous owner machined 2 new "dogbones" or links of some particular name that lowered my bike by 1.2 inches. I was glad he did as that helped me tremendously. I don't know it your bike can have the dogbone swapped out with a shorter one, but if so, problem solved. Heck with taking some seat cushion out, you could drop that bike near the ground.

:happy34:

yeah letting air out of the class will lower it, but my 85 at the lowest setting still makes me have to look where I stop. I still cannot flat foot my bike at intersections even at the lowest settings and I have about a 30 inch inseam. I do have a saddlemens seat on mine that might be higher than stock, but they are a tall bike by anyones standards.

BUT that being said, I still love my 85 Brownie Venture.

Brian

Edited by friesman

Thank you all.So in 1985 there wasnt a 1300 Venture? only the 1200?The hight is my only concern right now ,Iam 5'7" 190lb I have handeled biggewr bikes with out a problem but not higher.We shall see. LOL Thanks again Stan

you same height and weight as me. i have an 89 venture too. and find a bit of a challenge riding it. especially at slow speeds or riding around town. so i got myself a honda shadow ace 1100. lots of fun riding it and i don't have to be cautious all the time about riding it, like i do when i ride the venture. do try it out, though. if you are physically strong, it may not be that big an issue.....good luck and welcome to 'venturerider.org'.

abdul. :canada:

You've got alot of good suggestions here. Gigawhiskeys is a good little trick a lot of women use. A good pair of thick soled boots will really make a difference. Another trick might be to look for a lower profile radial bike tire. The Shorter sidewall will lower the bike a bit. Just remember to change the front too. You need to run radials front and back. Welcome to Venture riders you'll have fun here.

PS. If you look into the Shadows there's a great forum for them too several of us are on there also. Its called Shadow ACE tourer.

As to handling, and general feel of these bikes.

They are different then the average Harley, or cruizer type bike. They take some

getting used to, as to driveing feel. They are on the " top heavy side ". No modifications, are going to change this much.

Also you need to use caution when backing out of parking, or down long driveways. Also, they are NOT good on gravel roads.

The bike " shines " as a highway cruizer, and cross country FreeWay !! runner.

It is what it is, and best not to try to use it for other types of rideing.

( ie: I never head down a dirt road with my 89 Venture, as I used to do with my 79 BMW, R-100 )

I have a 29" inseam and havge no major problems with my '84 but by the same token my feet are not completely flat on the ground sometimes...

They are tall but not top heavy.

There must be a bunch of us short people riding the 1st Gens. I have to stand on my tippy toes at lights too. Well maybe heals up a little bit. But I find that if I let the air out of the rear shock, Ride my short stumpy roommate around and wear my high healled boots I'm as flat footed as a cop.