IGNORED

Coolatron??

Wizard765

I am going to be pulling a trailer with cooler on the front. I was wondering if a coolatron would be OK. I don't know the power requirements for the coolatron and I don't know if the stator would be up to the task. So does anyone here know if this would work or should I just keep buying ice?

Wayne

Guest tx2sturgis

Well, I'd pass on those. They need to pull 4 amps the whole time your keeping food and drinks cool. That means pulling 4 amps even when the bike is shut off. With motorcycle batteries rated at around 20 amp hours or so, in just a couple of hours you'd probably be push starting the bike. Plus, they use what is called a piezoelectric junction, which cools to about 40 degrees below ambient. Meaning, on a 100F degree day, it would be doing good to cool the inside to around 60F. I have used these types of coolers for years in trucks, and in an air conditioned cab, they work pretty well, but we also have 4 large truck batteries powering the unit overnite, so the truck easily starts in the morning. Accidentally leaving one plugged in over a long weekend tho, will drain even the 4 large truck batteries.

Well, I'd pass on those. They need to pull 4 amps the whole time your keeping food and drinks cool. That means pulling 4 amps even when the bike is shut off. With motorcycle batteries rated at around 20 amp hours or so, in just a couple of hours you'd probably be push starting the bike. Plus, they use what is called a piezoelectric junction, which cools to about 40 degrees below ambient. Meaning, on a 100F degree day, it would be doing good to cool the inside to around 60F. I have used these types of coolers for years in trucks, and in an air conditioned cab, they work pretty well, but we also have 4 large truck batteries powering the unit overnite, so the truck easily starts in the morning. Accidentally leaving one plugged in over a long weekend tho, will drain even the 4 large truck batteries.

:goodpost::goodpost: Exactly what Brian said......

I wasn't intending to leave it over night. I have an adapter for the wall that I would use in the motel etc. I was actually thinking of using a relay to power it so that when the key was off it would not run the unit. Just wanted to know if the stator would power it and still keep my battery charged.

Wayne,

I'm in agreeance with Brian, just buy ice and that actually works 2 fold. The water that will be in the cooler will be cold, and I use a dew rag under my helmet. When we did our big trip in '06 going through Nevada in 100 degree temps I would take my dew rag and soak it in the cool water of the cooler and put it on. I also did that with our neck wraps and they acted like a swamp cooler and I stayed a lot cooler than if I didn't have them.

Ok... I got it. Cooler will work. Coolatron = too much draw. Now I gotta find me a cooler I like..... Hmmmm... Those stainless steel Colmans look good but pricey...

Wayne

I have a stainless Colman that is over 20 yrs old and still works good.

Guest tx2sturgis
If heated gloves/vests/pants draw 4+ amps then why can't a cooler?:think:

Read my answer posted earlier in the thread...we didnt say you CANT use an electric cooler, just thats its not a great idea. You might end up with a dead battery real quick if you leave it on when the bike is not running. And when its hot outside, they dont do a very good job anyway. Another problem is that if it rains on the cooler, especially when riding down the highway, you may be kissing the 12volt fan motor goodbye...its not waterproof.

Edited by tx2sturgis

:goodpost::goodpost: Exactly what Brian said......

Ditto.... However, we used one when we circumnavigated the US about 15 years ago, and when we parked for the night we'd plug the cooler into a 12vdc inverter in the motel room. Most of those thermal coolers come with a warning about leaving them plugged in over night.

Read my answer posted earlier in the thread

I did read your answer but I was answering Wizards question. It shouldn't be any harder on the stator to run the cooler than to run electric clothing...which many of us do. You (and others) have offered up many other reasons not to use these coolers that make complete and total sense. That is why I don't use a thermoelectric cooler after I posed this question last year and received the same responses.