IGNORED

I think my rear shock has failed

I'm currently in SE VA on our weekend ride and I belive my rear shock has failed with 27,000 miles on it. With about 40 psi in the shock it will bottom our over the slightest dips in the road. I've already called my dealer and they have contacted Yamaha and have a new shock on order for me. Hope to have it installed next week. We're still able to ride but the bike doesn't seem to handle as well. Oh well!:crying::crying:

Dennis

Be careful for sure. The bike will want to come uncollected in corners if you hit the slightest bump. Straight and level you can control it and it just pogos on you but those corners can be a real Bi**H.

Good luck on getting a replacement shock anytime soon. Some folks have waited for months to get one from Yamaha. Check ebay and Craigs list.

If the bike is still under Warranty, is the shock covered by that warranty?

I think mine has a slow leak in it.

craigr

Like SleeperHawk said bumper to bumper but the replacement shock still has the same high failure rate as the original one. These shocks are truly not rated for this size mc with the weight some of us are carrying around our mid sections.

If you can afford a new shock I would recommend the Works Performance before a Yamaha replacement, even covered under warranty. Like I mentioned earlier some people have waited quite a while to get a new shock. One member waited so long that Yamaha paid half towards him getting a Works Performance shock.

If you can afford a new shock I would recommend the Works Performance before a Yamaha replacement, even covered under warranty. Like I mentioned earlier some people have waited quite a while to get a new shock. One member waited so long that Yamaha paid half towards him getting a Works Performance shock.

I'll consider that. I've got to call them Tuesday to get an update on the delivery and schedule an appointment.

We rode US 421 from Mountain City to Bristol today and a good shock sure would have been handy.

Dennis

Midrsv, how much weight do you normally put in your bike? How many miles on your bike since your shock decided to go bad? I'm just curious, because I am a tad worried about my own rear shocks. The warranty coverage does give me a little peace of mind. :322:

Has anyone checked to see if the dealer would install the aftermarket shock under warranty and charge the owner the difference between the two? :icon_smile_question

The closest you will come is IF Yamaha cannot get the shock,(Backordered,as was Mine), You gritch enough they will pay their cost of a New shock directly to you($338.00) and you can apply that to a works progressive..They will not put it on though..They say it may not be as good as theirs and cant stand behind it if it fails..BLAH BLAHH BLAHHHH. I know this as FACT as I raised 7 kinds of He-- with them till they gave in when they were backordered.

Midrsv, how much weight do you normally put in your bike? How many miles on your bike since your shock decided to go bad? I'm just curious, because I am a tad worried about my own rear shocks. The warranty coverage does give me a little peace of mind. :322:

Mine went at about 24K, I rode it for 2K before I had it replaced, it does handle alot better with the new shock, but I wouldnt loose any sleep over riding on a bad one for awhile. Craig

I your shock goes totally out you may find a puddle of oil under the bike. Loosing some air is a problem but if you find the oil then look into another one. With no oil it will bounce up and down like a pogo stick going down the road and you have no way to damper that. It will affect they handling.

Bob