IGNORED

I'm going back to a M/C tire

Reaney in NH

After installing the Kumho using about 110 PSI and ride around 3000 miles and towing a trailer about 2000 miles I have decided to go back to the M/C tire.

Pros of the c/t... Longer wear.... Better braking... improved low speed handling... better acceleration

Cons... After trying different PSI from as low as 30 and as high as 44 i find it unstable at speed... it wants to follow every groove in the pavement.... I get a wiggle at speeds over 75 running empty and its worse when towing. High speed corners feel strange... it tips over well... but I feel like it Waggles thru the corner.

I really wanted the c/t to work. it cost 1/2 as much and last twice as long... its a no brainer. But I just can't get it to work for me.:bang head:

I have ordered a set of Shinko Touring tires ... Front and Rear tires delivered for $129.00.:mo money: I will report back after they are installed.

Thanks to all for your views and info on the C/T and if its working for you that AWESOME....It just wasn't for me.

Cons... After trying different PSI from as low as 30 and as high as 44 i find it unstable at speed... it wants to follow every groove in the pavement.... I get a wiggle at speeds over 75 running empty and its worse when towing. High speed corners feel strange... it tips over well... but I feel like it Waggles thru the corner.

I've found the same condition with M/C rear tires when the tread flattens.

230 Tour Master Rear Tire

Color - --, Size - 150/90V-15

SKU# 54161On Order$69.991$69.99230 Tour Master Front Tire

Color - --, Size - 130/90V-16

SKU# 54153In Stock$59.991$59.99

Bias Ply. Great reviews. Never found a negative comment. Except of coarse on wear. Dressed touring bikes appear to get 10K or so on a rear... but for the price I can live with that as long as they perform decent.

I bought them from the Motorcycle super store. www.motorcycle-superstore.com

I will post with handling remarks when they get here and they are mounted.

Which of the Shinko tires did you get? Do you know the model number? Are they radials or bias?

Joe

What tire do you have on the frount, some of the bias frount do not work with a radial on the back, my 2000 RSV had the wiggle above 85 mph, until I put a avon radial on frount, then no wiggle, no problems at all with ct on back.

Gregg

What tire do you have on the frount, some of the bias frount do not work with a radial on the back, my 2000 RSV had the wiggle above 85 mph, until I put a avon radial on frount, then no wiggle, no problems at all with ct on back.

Gregg

Stock Brickstone on the front. Perhaps that was my problem?

230 Tour Master Rear Tire

Color - --, Size - 150/90V-15

SKU# 54161On Order$69.991$69.99230 Tour Master Front Tire

Color - --, Size - 130/90V-16

SKU# 54153In Stock$59.991$59.99

Bias Ply. Great reviews. Never found a negative comment. Except of coarse on wear. Dressed touring bikes appear to get 10K or so on a rear... but for the price I can live with that as long as they perform decent.

I bought them from the Motorcycle super store. www.motorcycle-superstore.com

I will post with handling remarks when they get here and they are mounted.

I just put a set on the '89 I just purchased, I can say 1 thing, they dont balance very well. As a former tire guy this is not a good sign to the engineering of the tire. I moved the front tire around on the rim 3 times and couldn't get it to balance with less than 80 grams of weight, all the Avons I installed balanced with less than a 1/4 of that. I bought them also be cause they were cheap and Ndiaz said he liked how they felt....we'll see

:)

I bought them from the same place as you are

WOW... Thats almost 3 ounces. I would have sent that back. I wouldn't put 3 ounces on a car tire. How much weight did the rear take?

Hope mine are better. I read lots of reviews on the tires and nobody had anything neg to say. For a 3rd the cost of avons or elite... I gotta try them.

I just put a set on the '89 I just purchased, I can say 1 thing, they dont balance very well. As a former tire guy this is not a good sign to the engineering of the tire. I moved the front tire around on the rim 3 times and couldn't get it to balance with less than 80 grams of weight, all the Avons I installed balanced with less than a 1/4 of that. I bought them also be cause they were cheap and Ndiaz said he liked how they felt....we'll see

:)

I bought them from the same place as you are

I am 100% sure the brickstone is my problem, it has plenty of tread and I am taking it off.

Cobra is ordered. and I can't wait to have a great ride again. If someone was to give me me a new set of bridgestones I assure you I would throw them in the dumpster where they belong.

Gregg

I am 100% sure the brickstone is my problem, it has plenty of tread and I am taking it off.

Cobra is ordered. and I can't wait to have a great ride again. If someone was to give me me a new set of bridgestones I assure you I would throw them in the dumpster where they belong.

Gregg

I feel the same about the Brickstones Gregg. You would think that Yamaha would go with, perhaps the Avon Venoms or some other brand. :backinmyday:I put a set of Avons on my 2007 Tour Deluxe just 4,000 miles into the break in. I really love these Avons so far. And for the car tire senareo, I think car tires are made for cars, not bikes. Just my two cents.:2cents:

James

After installing the Kumho using about 110 PSI and ride around 3000 miles and towing a trailer about 2000 miles I have decided to go back to the M/C tire.

Pros of the c/t... Longer wear.... Better braking... improved low speed handling... better acceleration

I really wanted the c/t to work. it cost 1/2 as much and last twice as long... its a no brainer. But I just can't get it to work for me.:bang head:

Thanks to all for your views and info on the C/T and if its working for you that AWESOME....It just wasn't for me.

I tried a car tire on 2 different Valkyries and went back to the bike tire both times. As much as I wanted to like the c/t I didn't like the overall handling. I felt like I was riding a new bike when I went back to the motorcycle tire. From now on I'll stick with a bike tire on my bikes and a car tire on my cars.