IGNORED

mobil one 4t racing

footsie

The reason my 04 is only on its third oil change, is it only had 8800 miles on it when I picked it up, The worst thing the pervious owner did was not ride it. (Of course it was good for Me, I got a low mileage bike that looked like it just came out of the show room)

I did run some sea foam in the gas for a couple of tanks.

The bike now has 11,000 miles and has settled down and running great. I think all that setting around the carbs were about to gum up.

All is well now, No chirp since oil change. Just need an Avon radial on the frount.

Gregg

The reason my 04 is only on its third oil change, is it only had 8800 miles on it when I picked it up, The worst thing the pervious owner did was not ride it. (Of course it was good for Me, I got a low mileage bike that looked like it just came out of the show room)

I did run some sea foam in the gas for a couple of tanks.

The bike now has 11,000 miles and has settled down and running great. I think all that setting around the carbs were about to gum up.

All is well now, No chirp since oil change. Just need an Avon radial on the frount.

Gregg

Two oil changes in 5 years is worse than 12,000 on one oil change in 4 months. Letting the old oil sit in there is BAD BAD BAD. Oil picks up contaminates and acids from combustion (and that problem is MUCH worse if the engine is run for relatively short times/miles after it is started). In addition, the engine condenses water inside, just like a gas tank does, causing corrosion. We have no idea if the PO ran it for long or short times after starting, but we know for a fact the old oil was left with the contaminates to eat away at the insides of that engine for years at a time. No way of knowing what long-term effects may be from that abuse - all we can do is hope. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

• 9 years later...
Changed the oil in my 04 today, it had reg oil that the guy I bought it from had put it. but this is only it third oil change. It did have a very low chirp to it.

I changed to the mobil one racing oil and after about 10 miles, no more chirp, no whine just a perfectly quiet bike. Well except for the mufflers I modified.

Mobil One 4T racing 10-40

Gregg:missingtooth:

Hey guys, Marvel Man here, aka: Goober to the max. Geez, bought my brand new (to me) 2002 royal star midnight venture with 8,500 miles and the previous owner had the Yamaha shop completely rebuild the carbs for over a $1,000 bucks plus they installed a new rear tire and I paid, 3,800 for the bike. Guys, not a scratch on her and never been down and looks brand new. Well, I'm a newbie and freaked when I saw there was no oil when I checked in on my driveway with the stand down. Needless to say, I over filled the case by 2 quart of oil. you can imagine. She started burping up all that oil and it had to go some where to into the air boxes it went, thank god, for that is what alerted me to my mistake. blow by oil on driveway seeping out of airbox breather hose. Called Yamaha they said I did right buy dumping all and just filled with 3.5quarts. My question to you guys is did I screw up by using the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. It says on the bottle that it is "Advanced Full Synthetic: 4 cycle Motorcycle Oil. Please let me know about the oil and what should I do. Thanks fellas.

Hey guys, Marvel Man here, aka: Goober to the max. Geez, bought my brand new (to me) 2002 royal star midnight venture with 8,500 miles and the previous owner had the Yamaha shop completely rebuild the carbs for over a $1,000 bucks plus they installed a new rear tire and I paid, 3,800 for the bike. Guys, not a scratch on her and never been down and looks brand new. Well, I'm a newbie and freaked when I saw there was no oil when I checked in on my driveway with the stand down. Needless to say, I over filled the case by 2 quart of oil. you can imagine. She started burping up all that oil and it had to go some where to into the air boxes it went, thank god, for that is what alerted me to my mistake. blow by oil on driveway seeping out of airbox breather hose. Called Yamaha they said I did right buy dumping all and just filled with 3.5quarts. My question to you guys is did I screw up by using the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. It says on the bottle that it is "Advanced Full Synthetic: 4 cycle Motorcycle Oil. Please let me know about the oil and what should I do. Thanks fellas.

The manual says 3.7 qts of oil is required if the filter isn't changed. 3.9 qts with oil filter change. 4.3 qts if the engine is dry. But the sight glass is the determining factor. With the bike upright, not on the sidestand, it should be mid-scale.

.... My question to you guys is did I screw up by using the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. It says on the bottle that it is "Advanced Full Synthetic: 4 cycle Motorcycle Oil. Please let me know about the oil and what should I do. Thanks fellas.

The Mobil 1 oil is one of the ones recommended on this site. When prices went up on the Mobil 1 I switched to Rotella T6 and have been using it since.

I also found this on their site...

so there is a difference between "racing oil" and "4T Racing"

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is recommended for four-cycle motorcycles which specify the use of a 10W-40 engine oil. It provides excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system or where the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. In the case of the latter, follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 engine oil is also designed to provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch engine/transmission systems. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 exceeds the requirements of API Service Categories SH, SG/CF, CD, JASO MA and has been fully tested, both on laboratory dynamometers and in the field, to provide optimum horsepower and acceleration.

Fully synthetic Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are specifically engineered for use in motorcycles. The formulations are based on the proven technology used in other Mobil 1 automotive products, yet they are optimized for the unique requirements of a motorcycle engine and/or transmission. You can use them with confidence, knowing they will protect your bike in extreme situations where conventional motor oils simply cannot compare, including extended high-speed operation and prolonged idling in summertime traffic.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 was previously known as Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40.

Glad yo posted this, saved me time. I have been using it in my VTX (137,000mi), new in '08 and RSV (27,000mi), new in '15 since both were new.